Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Add Photos

Auxilium Pharmaceuticals President & CEO Adrian Adams

Adrian Adams

upper management

ProsThe company has its pros. Good job. Safe work environment. People that work there are nice. The cubical area is a close family like environment.

ConsNot too sure of the plans of upper management. Management in general makes questionable decisions on important matters releasing products.

Worked in a technical position at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, at the Horsham manufacturing site.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmall company atmosphere, with great benefits. Most managers are very understanding of the need to maintain a work-life balance, making this a great place to work if you have a family. The time off policy is very generous; 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, sick time and paid holidays.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement. Employees are expected to perform at the job levels above them for several years before receiving the associated title and salary. Salaries are slightly lower than comparable positions at other companies.

Advice to Senior Management"Pay for Performance" corporate objective should be applied to all positions throughout the company, and across sites. While the Values at Work awards and gift cards are nice, an actual raise for outstanding performance would be much more motivating and increase retention of talent.

Great company to work for.

Medical Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent opportunities to move up. Pay was pretty good and I felt the bonuses were attainable. Management seemed to be pretty responsive to feedback from the field.

ConsThe main way to succeed is being in a territory with good managed care but that's pharma I guess. It seemed a big managed care win means that the team involved would definitely hit presidents club and areas with poor coverage were just dismissed as being bad reps.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally very positive though because of the structure it was hard to move upwards to new opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Horsham, PA (US)

ProsGood benefits, co-workers were great, lunch was provided, and the pay was reasonable.

ConsPoor communication between certain groups led to problems in how issues were prioritized, some of the equipment was antiquated, and promotion opportunities were limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on better upper-level communication so that different areas of the company can work with greater synergy. Often it seemed that each section of the company was acting independently and didn't understand what was going on outside a specific area.

Not a culture of meritocracy

ProsExperience in small biotech environment

ConsPeople not held accountable for their actions

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a culture of meritocracy and stop nepotism

Wrong People, Wrong Emphasis for Success in the Pharmaceutical Development Business"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsFor the moment, Auxilium Pharmaceuticals is still a small company in terms of interaction with managment, level of personal responsibility , empowerment and challenge in the job and (to a more limited extent), flexibility in working practices. The level of kindness and respectful behavior is unprecedentedly high in my work experience. Daily free lunch and company-sponsored fitness center membership (occasionally at odds with each other :o)!) are nice perquisites.

ConsThe emphasis on getting things done not just quickly, but in a ridiculously expedited fashion leads to mistakes, frequently serious, and an overall lack of quality in the end products. This has resulted in part from too much investment in Project Management and Sales (at the expense of investment in projects to manage and sell!), in part from "holdover nepotism" on the part of the company's founder, which placed inexperienced and/or unqualified people in key management roles, and in part from woeful ignorance on the part of past and present management regarding the whole process of drug development.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuccess in this business these days requires a vision beyond the present development candidate. Adding indications, regardless of market size, will not support growth; patents DO expire eventually! Slow down and do things right from the beginning.

Great company to work for!

Medical Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsThe management is great. They say you don't quit your job, you quit your boss. My manager is an excellent person who I not only consider my boss, but he's also my mentor and my friend. I have an excellent opportunity for career growth and the company really encourages you to constantly educate yourself. The salary and incentive compensation can not only be considered fair, but they are very competitive. The benefits are great. Great insurance, company car, and corporate expense account. It is a very competitive work environment. You are rewarded and compensated for your hard work! Great place to work.

ConsThe 401k plan is not very good. They don't match much of what you decide to invest. The entire work day is spent traveling in a car (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are tired of office life). This can get lonely sometimes. It seems like lately I have been been listening to a lot of talk radio during the day to keep me occupied in the car. Since this is a "sales" position, there can be constant rejection from the doctors that you are speaking with. Also, this industry is volatile because it is based not simply on the success of the company, but also the political landscape and the insurance industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key. Since you don't live near your manager, and you don't work in an office, effecient communication is only done via electronic means. But other than that, my senior manager is one of the best managers that I have ever had. Honestly. The management in this company (from my experience) are competent, and genuine people. Take that comment with a grain of salt because I have only met roughly 10 members of management.

Worked for Auxilium Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!