Autonomy Reviews

Updated 16 April, 2015
341 reviews filtered by

Not working.

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many great people working here, but not enough. They are all holding on. There are good places to burrow in. There is no real pressure to perform, so you can have security, almost like a government job.

Cons

The technology is rotten. Management is a slumlord. There is no appetite to rearchitect, refactor, rewrite, so the product line is struggling to keep scale with existing client data/demands. Look at the timeline of the companies Autonomy comprises. All of that stuff is still around, like a museum of technology in the 1990s. Smell opportunity? Please! It will take you so long to achieve anything it will make you look bad interviewing for your next job. Money is only available in the wake of a crisis, so you'll be muddling-through. Good ideas are scary. Basic stuff you need to manage crises are broken too: the network, for example, is pathologically broken due to integration problems since the merger. There's more, but trust me, you don't really want to know.

Advice to Management

Please! ... as if they care. You'll never pay for the acquisition deal losses, so kick back and enjoy the ride, right? It will take another decade for clients to abandon Autonomy, so the gravy train will keep flowing and the decline will match expenses recouped through employee attrition. Maybe you can replace experienced staff with gullible recent grads? A cakewalk! 100% play-acting! HP had better buy some more (new) companies with products to replace 90% of the Autonomy stuff if they want to keep those lucrative clients locked in.

2. Autonomy, Great Company, Top of the line engineers.

Former Employee - Solutions Support Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Solutions Support Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, Great employees, Lots of opportunity to grow. Great benefits for Employees.

Cons

Needs to improve to catch up with competitors.

Suffocating Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked on a great sub-team with great people, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Free Friday lunch.

Cons

Terrible culture. Micro-managing leadership. Lack of product vision in areas with limited experience. Inconsistent messaging to employees. Ridiculous hiring guidelines that could be overturned at any point by the CTO at the time.

5. The company is growing but still pay scale etc, need to be as per market standard

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Cons in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Cons in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- less work pressure
    - work-life balance
    - cab facility, food for rotational shift

Cons

- compensation less compared to market
    - quality of work
    - queue management
    - less fun activites

6. Was a mess during HP Merger

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

if you had the right opportunities, pay was good

Cons

toxic company culture, very public leadership issues during merger killed sales cycles.

7. Genuinely Exciting Proposition

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a group of employees that are very energising to work among. I joined prior to the acquisition, and have seen so much change throughout the whole organisation, almost entirely for the better. A solid product set with a genuinely exciting story to tell. It's given me opportunities that I would never have had anywhere else.

Cons

HP is a very big company, and that inevitably leads to some frustrations. These are probably less problematic for someone joining the company fresh, but it represented quite a shift for existing employees. It can be a lot to get your head round at first, but is something that you can figure out with time.

Advice to Management

Keep betting on your people, and keep telling the big story.

8. HP Autonomy culture a 180. Great place to work now.

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great mix: still very entrepreneurial and agile with the support and backing of the broader HP.
    Compensation and benefits are fair and competitive. You'll see more equity upside at a startup, but the compensation at HP Autonomy is as good or better than competitors. The previous leadership prior to the acquisition by HP was confrontational and rough on employees but great energy has been spent to turn away from that legacy. The new culture is that of collaboration, rational decisions and empowerment. I'm very comfortable here and expect to make this a long-term fit.

Cons

Can be a challenge to get the attention of HP Corp. Processes and rules that apply to the legacy HP business don't always work for a fast moving software group/company. And HP Corp hasn't yet figured out all the nuances between hardware and software. Can make processes challenging. Also, as is the case in all aggressive software groups, the pace is extreme. Can create late nights at time... But the staff feeds off this energy... Really a pro for many of us.

Advice to Management

Make big bets. Take more risks in markets. Invest even more in R&D. Let's turn this into a rocket ship!

9. Software Engineer

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

office culture, city workingmn environment

Cons

bad management and lack of communication

Don't work here

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home (when not traveling). Free Friday lunch and bagels on Wednesday mornings. Many exceptional people work here.

Cons

Many unhappy customers. Bad management. Unethical sales teams. Products not as good as advertised and lagging behind the competition. No true integrated solutions, just components that should work together but don't. Unpredictable travel requirements. No career development opportunity.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all of the legacy Autonomy managers, they have no idea how to run a company. Reduce the number of products being developed and renew the focus on quality. Try actually using your company's own products.

disorganized operation!

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Able to work independently. Learning experience. Newly created position with many challenges.

Cons

No raises or bonuses in two years!! High turnover. When HP took over my position in finance became extremely frustrating with the micro management mentality! My position was newly created & an uphill challenge to say the least! Myself & two colleagues without little supervision made remarkable strides. The manager @ HP had zero experience & would constantly send emails reminding up what to do! So happy my position was relocated!!

Advice to Management

To retain good talent you must pay well & don't continue to have the arrogant attitude "if you don't like it leave"! In my two year tenure I've seen top talent abandon ship!