Autonomy Reviews

Updated 24 October, 2014
2.4

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • maybe that the upper management could have more direction in what they are doing (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst place I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The corporate pitch on Meaning Based Computing is intriguing and easily conveyed through their messaging and demos.

Cons

The company's biggest hurdle comes from the poor integration of past acquisitions creating a climate of bureaucracy and political fiefdoms. With no enforcement of corporate strategy and organization, disparate systems and culture impede productivity of new hires. I saw no net new client logos presented in quarterly win reviews. Turnover was very high, two of the mentors I was paired with were discharged in their first 12 months. First line managers were more concerned with political self-preservation than mentoring or coaching the team.

HP is aware of the problems and is taking action to break down the barriers and instill the corporate culture of a professional organization. HP should cull the middle management to accelerate change, eliminate the overlap & fighting from the 3 divisions with a streamlined field force supported by appropriate technical resources at the field level. This will create better opportunity for success with new hire resources and challenge the incumbent reps to drive business in new accounts and prove their worth.

I enjoyed the pay, but was never trained properly & held to unreasonable production standards.

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay & benefits! Organized sports after work against other company reams here in SF & good morale amongst coworkers. Free catered lunches weekly!

Cons

Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees. The sales/BDA goals are extremely unrealistic. I have led my sales team in all my prior positions, but at this company I never hit my weekly quota, nor did 90% of my peers in my department.

Get to know your employees. Spend a day doing what they/we do & see exactly what we are up against & then set production goals based on that. REALISTIC, Attainable Goals.

It was the most fear-driven, vampirish work environment I've ever experienced with inept management to boot.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big name company lets you rest comfortably that you'll be paid. Bagel day. woohoo

Cons

Everything. No career path. Poor pay. Abusive management.

Get some experience in dealing with people and developing a more collaborative environment and lose the 'us vs them' mentality.

Not working.

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are many great people working here, but not enough. They are all holding on. There are good places to burrow in. There is no real pressure to perform, so you can have security, almost like a government job.

Cons

The technology is rotten. Management is a slumlord. There is no appetite to rearchitect, refactor, rewrite, so the product line is struggling to keep scale with existing client data/demands. Look at the timeline of the companies Autonomy comprises. All of that stuff is still around, like a museum of technology in the 1990s. Smell opportunity? Please! It will take you so long to achieve anything it will make you look bad interviewing for your next job. Money is only available in the wake of a crisis, so you'll be muddling-through. Good ideas are scary. Basic stuff you need to manage crises are broken too: the network, for example, is pathologically broken due to integration problems since the merger. There's more, but trust me, you don't really want to know.

Please! ... as if they care. You'll never pay for the acquisition deal losses, so kick back and enjoy the ride, right? It will take another decade for clients to abandon Autonomy, so the gravy train will keep flowing and the decline will match expenses recouped through employee attrition. Maybe you can replace experienced staff with gullible recent grads? A cakewalk! 100% play-acting! HP had better buy some more (new) companies with products to replace 90% of the Autonomy stuff if they want to keep those lucrative clients locked in.

Autonomy, Great Company, Top of the line engineers.

Former Employee - Solutions Support Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Solutions Support Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, Great employees, Lots of opportunity to grow. Great benefits for Employees.

Cons

Needs to improve to catch up with competitors.

Suffocating Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked on a great sub-team with great people, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Free Friday lunch.

Cons

Terrible culture. Micro-managing leadership. Lack of product vision in areas with limited experience. Inconsistent messaging to employees. Ridiculous hiring guidelines that could be overturned at any point by the CTO at the time.

About the Compnay

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you are looking for some sort of easy, something similar to govt. desk job, then this is the place for you

Cons

not much opportunities. Fresher, avoid it as much as possible

analyst/CA

Current Employee - Analyst/CA in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Analyst/CA in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

always have time for fun

Cons

not good for beginner
    join it only if this is your last option

need to be more professional

Was a mess during HP Merger

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

if you had the right opportunities, pay was good

Cons

toxic company culture, very public leadership issues during merger killed sales cycles.

The company is growing but still pay scale etc, need to be as per market standard

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Cons in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Cons in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- less work pressure
    - work-life balance
    - cab facility, food for rotational shift

Cons

- compensation less compared to market
    - quality of work
    - queue management
    - less fun activites