Autonomy Reviews

Updated 11 October, 2014
2.4

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • maybe that the upper management could have more direction in what they are doing (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Autonomy, it could be a great place to work (but for now it's just ok).

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Autnomy's Calgary office is very well run and a pretty fun place to work. The management in this office is very good about giving praise and letting you know that you have done a good job.
    Autonomy's products interface with so many other vendors that it is possible to get exposed to a wide array of technologies (whether through supporting or developing the product). In addition to this, Autonomy has some really cool products(from voice and video search to liquid office) so there are some really fun things to play with. If you like to be on the cutting edge then Autonomy is a great place to be.

Autonomy keeps buying other companies so over the past while there have been lots of chances for transfers and advancement in positions that might be a better fit for you.

Cons

Autonomy's senior management doesn't seem to know that there are many unhappy employees in the company. While the regional management is doing an excellent job, the senior managers don't seem to care, or be aware of what it takes to keep the employees happy.

Autonomy claims that it will only hire the best. However, excellent people leave the company on a regular basis because they are displeased by the lack of support and understanding from Autonomy's head office.

The senior management seem very quick to try to solve "problems" by throwing the easiest solution at the problem. However, this causes issues in the future because often the quickest solution isn't the best.

Autonomy has very VERY poor communication with its lowest level of employees. Very little information is spread through methods other than "the grapevine" and Autonomy never seems to reveal its mission to its employee base. I would guess that most employees have no idea what the company's goals are.

Autonomy has no long term benifits package. This means that if you plan on working with Autonomy for a long time you better make sure you have your own retirement savings.

I would suggest that senior management begin looking at ways of increasing employee morale. As far as I can tell, there are many unhappy people. I suggest that senior management hire a "employee survey" company to try and figure out what their employees want. Autonomy doesn't seem to realize that monetary rewards are very little incentive for an employee to stay with a company.

In additon to this, Autonomy needs to firmly establish a set of goals or a mission statement for the company. Also, communication needs to be done through official channels and on a regular basis. I suggest that Autonomy consider regular company wide meetings to ensure that all employees are "on the same page". Ideally, these meeting would involve a video conference service so that senior management can be seen and heard through the world. In fact, each meeting should feature an divison of the company (Virage, Zantaz, Cardiff, etc). This would allow everyone to see what is being worked on in the various divisions.

Hopefully the senior management can understand, happy employees are some of the best sales people available. If you are excited about going to work, you will tell everyone about it.

Senior Customer Service Representative -- Intermediate

Current Employee - Senior Customer Representative - Intermediate in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A very good place to work with highly profession people. Senior Management is very helpful and good culture and values.

Cons

I did not have any issues or difficulty in this company.

NA

Autonomy... Waste years .. Never hit your Quota.. Products are outdated

I have been working at Autonomy (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, Nice People, Good Expense AMEX Card..

Cons

Waste years of sales growth.. Sell products that you don't believe in...

Autonomy went through multiple acquisitions and a lot of employee has been laid off ... not sure if it finished ...

Current Employee - Software Support Consultant in Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Support Consultant in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting products. With right / smart management can be progress in the future - with out appropriate management way to nowhere.

Cons

You will utilize wide range of knowledge and learn well balancing proportion of IT and Telecom.

Management level very from one to another person. People (employee and managers) playing a lot of "job security" tricks ..

Great people, bad top management

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Technology was tops. Product training was excellent. Had a well organized inside sales team. Most employees below C level tops but about 1/2 the VP staff was among the worst I have experienced.

Cons

Divisions not integrated at the technology or sales level and this resulted in severe competitive selling between account reps and confusion among the prospect and customer base. Sales leads passed out on a favoritism based approach (to more experienced account reps). Very deceptive sales practices, with a lot of misleading in terms of what the products were actually capable of delivering. Pricing was also 'value based' meaning the more urgent the customer problem, the higher the price. That might be ok in many situations but what it meant from an account manager perspective is that if another rep was trying to do a deal in some part of the company, you could be blocked from doing your deal, no matter how much work you had put into it. Finally, I have never used this work before when describing the management of a company but the top/C-level management is truly evil. It took me 9 months to come to grips with that but one new member of my team worked that out on the very first pipeline review call his 2nd week on the job and quit instantly.

Wow, where to start. Actually, they are beyond advice so I'll save myself some time here and not even bother.

A mixed bag of positives and negatives

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

For sales, your part of larger sales footprint calling on customers.

Cons

Some products are behind competitors.

Be competitive.

Worst place I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The corporate pitch on Meaning Based Computing is intriguing and easily conveyed through their messaging and demos.

Cons

The company's biggest hurdle comes from the poor integration of past acquisitions creating a climate of bureaucracy and political fiefdoms. With no enforcement of corporate strategy and organization, disparate systems and culture impede productivity of new hires. I saw no net new client logos presented in quarterly win reviews. Turnover was very high, two of the mentors I was paired with were discharged in their first 12 months. First line managers were more concerned with political self-preservation than mentoring or coaching the team.

HP is aware of the problems and is taking action to break down the barriers and instill the corporate culture of a professional organization. HP should cull the middle management to accelerate change, eliminate the overlap & fighting from the 3 divisions with a streamlined field force supported by appropriate technical resources at the field level. This will create better opportunity for success with new hire resources and challenge the incumbent reps to drive business in new accounts and prove their worth.

Account Executive

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits. Good people for the most part-They want to do a good job. Good story to tell to clients.

Cons

Technology behind. Software hard to deploy and harder for customers to maintain. Few sales people can make their number.

Convince HP to start investing in the products, otherwise you will simply fall further behind

Shady folks at the top setting the company culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southborough, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southborough, MA (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The group I was in did a lot of new development, using the latest tools. There was a caf and gym onsite.

Cons

My company was acquired by Autonomy prior to the HP acquisition. After listening to the Autonomy brass speak, it came as no surprise that HP later uncovered fraud and accounting tricks. We were told Autonomy does not give raises. We started several new development projects, which required nights and weekends, only to see them scrapped a few months later when the winds of change blew through. They had a few layoffs, then decided to let the best and brightest self-select themselves elsewhere through attrition. The result was a steady exodus, and a huge swath of empty cubes and offices. Not too encouraging.

Good Overall Experience

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual workplace, approachable management, earnest desire to improve.

Cons

Convoluted technological tools, rigid workflow, slow to respond to change and/or off the mark with industry standards.