Autonomy Reviews

2.6
Autonomy CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
1 Rating

Pros
  • Free lunch on Fridays is also ok (in 11 reviews)

• Work/life balance was exceptional (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees (in 19 reviews)

• Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them (in 18 reviews)

1. Calgary office is much better now that 3/4 of the dead weight has been laid off

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outsourcing and getting rid of jobs in the Calgary office has really improved things. Only the losers lost their jobs and they had to train their replacements which I think is well-deserved karma on their part. As well, I like the fact that they canceled the waste of time that was the season NHL hockey tickets. And cutting the 24/7 support pay in half was also pretty awesome.

Cons

None that I can think of except maybe that there are still a bit too many employees in the Calgary office--hopefully they'll get laid off soon.

Advice to Management

Please lay off more employees. They are an ungrateful lot.

2. HP can't fix Autonomy fast enough

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology but for the most part, totally oversold. The existing customer base has not been served well and it is impossible to sell again to existing customers due to their poor experience.

Cons

Management has been slow to remove the old Autonomy guard. The culture is very much at odds with traditional HP. In short the many of the core solutions do not work or are so heavyweight that it takes an army of consultants to make it work.

Advice to Management

Integrate Autonomy into HP SW - align the sales teams so there is not so much duplication.

3. Not Bad

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Great culture in the office. Meg Whitman is a fantastic and visionary CEO.

Cons

Poor compensation in terms of salary. Little opportunities for career growth.

5. Glad I did, but wouldn't go back.

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge learning experience - lots of variety in the work. Great people in the Calgary office. The experience and the people made the time there worthwhile.

Cons

Upper management was terrible. Showed a complete lack of basic respect to staff that was not in Cambridge. Raises were rare - basically you had to turn in a resignation for upper management to approve a raise. Nearly impossible to get a purchase order for equipment approved. Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them.

Technology is okay. but no raise in years. Local managers are good people. higher ups not so much

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

- Very nice folks to work with here in Calgary - Friday free lunch - Pop machines for free - Calgary managers are good people but they do not have much power - Money is provided for you to take courses, certs, etc. Keep in mind that you must commit to staying with the company for the next 2 years though

Cons

- NO RAISES! I used to think Support Staff were the only ones who didn't get raises, it's a little soothing to know that the policy is company wide - No performance reviews - Upper management has their head up their butt it seems. They are completely out of touch with the concerns of employees who do all the work - Overworked Support Staff - NO RAISES! (yes I know i already said that) I have given thought to moving with in the company in the past but after reading the reviews here I will not make that mistake.

Advice to Management

Let go of your HUGE ego, listen to your employees for a change. Stop shoving things down our throats. Most of all give people raises!

Expect stress, then expect to be fired

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Calgary, AB

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Money was good to start, there were free lunches on Fridays, and you got 5 weeks vacation.

Cons

First, while you got 5 weeks vacation, you needed those 5 weeks to de-stress. When supporting a software product that you have 0 knowledge of going into the job, you are given little training, no documentation, and little helpful assistance from senior staff because they weren't trained either.

Advice to Management

When you mention that you have never laid off an employee in your history, make sure you haven't recently fired an entire office.

Calgary at risk of following in Ottawa's footsteps

Former Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to work on exciting new technologies, and there are still some very talented folks there

Cons

Complete disconnect from HQ in UK, and overall somber mood in the office.

Advice to Management

I could write a book on it, but nobody would read it.

Calgary office is a sweatshop

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist (Europe) in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist (Europe) in Calgary, AB

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

-You'll have the chance to work with unique technology, Enterprise Search, E-Discovery, Call Centre Management Software, E-Mail Archiving and Business Process Automation. -Software supported on several platforms, opportunity to learn new skills. -There are great people at Autonomy Calgary (ex Verity)

Cons

-There is no PMO or SDLC in place, no agile or waterfall, software is developed and released with poor planning. The customer base is unhappy with the product quality and support, customers have learned that the only way to get a bug fixed is to go legal. -There are banned words at Autonomy, for example; if you tell a customer you have found a bug in the software, you'll be fired. You'll be reminded via email not to say or write the banned words or else. This practice creates paranoia and high levels of stress. -Micro-management defines Autonomy. Managers at Calgary office have no voice, everything is done according to the directives of a few people in the UK, they decide hiring, terminations and everything else, Calgary managers execute orders no questions asked. -You'll be promised bonuses, salary increases and much more but in reality you won't get anything and forget about career growth. -Work life balance doesn't exists. It is extreme really, they will check the ID card readers to check the time you got in and the time you go home and monitor the time you take for lunch. I have seen nasty emails sent to employees for leaving 10 minutes before close of business. My manager did a good job at fighting this culture but gave up, he left the company. -The workload for each tech is so high it is ridiculous. -Don't expect a performance review or manager feedback on goals and achievements. -Promotions are given to managers friends and even relatives. nepotism? -Lastly, do not bother applying for a job if your GPA is less than 3.5

Advice to Management

You are not running a startup, it is time to change your management practices and stop the micro managing style. The best asset in Autonomy is the people, you need to take care of your staff, don't just promise, walk the talk and reward (at least say thanks once in a while) your employees.

Stingy

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

- 5 weeks paid vacation time per year from the beginning - Excellent extended health and dental coverage - Currently, fun people to work with at (in the local office) - Good potential for academic or professional upgrading in your field ($3000/year per employee for courses, workshops, conferences, etc) - Free lunch on Fridays - There are some good managers in the local office who will look out for you and vouch for you

Cons

- No raises: Many colleagues I know (including me) have never had a raise. Not even a standard of living raise. - No transparency from head office: even the managers did not know about the last few rounds of layoffs. Known issues and limitations are not allowed in official documentation. - Lack of integrity from upper management: After layoffs, we were told that the company has never had a single "economic layoff", and implied that the 10% of the office (and more from other offices) were fired due to performance issues - Micromanagement from upper management: every travel request, request to hire (even for interns), request for hardware/software, etc, must be approved by a list of signatures, some including the CEO's. - No process: Org charts don't exist here and are in fact frowned upon. No official performance reviews here. This is beyond Agile. - No project management: as far as I can tell, our products are haphazardly developed based on customer reaction/requests. We have numerous products that have very similar functionalities. - Middle management is powerless: All requests for equipment, raises, bonuses, hires, etc are must be sent to head office. Very little power is given to non-HQ managers as far as I can tell. - Extreme frugality: Company has reported 90% profits for a number of years now. See first point. This tends to make people bitter. Everyone flies economy, but the execs fly in a private jet.

Advice to Management

There's no excuse not to reward employees for their hard work when the company is doing well.

Not a bad place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

- Excellent amount of time off per year - Work life balance (for the most part) - Compensation was decent - Good working environment with games room and free lunches on Fridays

Cons

- Little room for advancement - Lack of annual reviews and therefore no pay raise structure - Very little praise or criticism from management - Very little interest in helping employees reach career goals

Advice to Management

Provide better feedback and communication to employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed