Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros:
  • "Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them"
    in 18 reviews
  • "upper management but they've all left since HP acquisition"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nightmare - stay away

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsSome great technology and a few decent people have hung on and are to be commended for their perserverance. HP, if it sees it through, will create better possibilities but it will be a while to figure out how to do this - I wish them luck.

ConsAbsolutely the worst possible management culture imaginable; from top (mostly gone - and rightully so as the news will bear out) to bottom. Managers are used to lying to employees to get deals done with favored reps. Salesfolk hired for their rolodexes - once this is exhausted and they figure out they are selling questionable products/support and are jeopardizing their relationships and integrity (about 3-6 months in), they quit. Extremely caustic treatment and outright boldface lying to the very people who interface with the customer so customer satisfaction low and reputation shot. HP stuck trying to unwind this nettle of lies which is a shame because the people who represented some very fine products deserved better - but that wasn't the goal of Mike Lynch and company, was it?

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace all levels of legacy Autonomy management and issue a public statement to existing customers that you will be in touch to introduce the HP way of doing of doing business; the customer-centric way. All should be removed to rid the culture of the toxic treatment of the customers and employees.

Run a mile

Sales Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

ProsHP were able to break-up the kangaroo court that ran the company

ConsProducts only ever worked with considerable pro services.
Management tried to rule through intimidation.
Questionable ethics on contract negotiations.
Lots of forgotten promises.
Very few pre and post sales engineers.
A cut and run mentality on closing deals.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to HP is to remove any senior sales management who have been in their roles for more than 3 years.
Get a decent CRM tool.
Get a price list that reps can quote from.
Get a proper pro services organization.
Question why you paid $10bn+ for such a sham of a company

Bill Hewlett is probably spinning in his grave.

Technical Specialist (Former Employee)
Emea (Indonesia)

ProsGood salary
Some very nice people
Good Christmas parties

ConsOld school aggressive sales flogging tired tech that gets buggier and less stable with every release. There's no righting this ship Mr Youngjohns, give it up.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold your hands up and admit you're out your depth managing technical projects.

Making the future out of data

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

ProsVery young and dynamic team.

ConsThe management could be improve.

Awful environment for sales

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMarket leading compensation rates - realistic top tier was around 15% commission (on $500k+ worth of deals in a single Q).

ConsNo sales support, awful CRM, management and sales reps treated as commodities. Churn and burn environment. NO account ownership - every account is up for grabs, and you'd spend 1/2 your time or more fending off other reps trying to sell the same product to your accounts - potentially from across the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable sales, don't treat them like useless mindless monkeys.

Good people, difficult culture and sales model.

S Account Executive (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

ProsTechnology is unreal. Good comp plan.

ConsNo territories and very few and very reluctant technical resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementStructure the sales model and hire and train pre-sales tech resources.

Avoid here, Sales Mgmt nightmare, no interest in Customer Sat, takes large deals away, few ever make 50% of quota

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsAutonomy does have some outstanding software products that are good and provide value when they are installed and configured correctly.....

Very nice co-workers that will try to help you

Cons*Senior leadership does not care about the satisfaction of their customers.
*They acquire companies, integrate their IDOL technology, significantly reduce the development and support staff, but increase the sales force too large and very few sales people make any good money.
*Terrible customer support
* Sales leadership regularly in group meetings unprofessionally tears sales reps apart verbally.... a real team moral killer.
* The fastest revolving door of good sales people that I have ever witnessed.
* Sales leadership is very direct and aggressive about driving the sales teams to just close the business, take the money and run, whether the customer will benefit from the software or not.
* Many unhappy customers who admit that after they purchased the software they felt abandoned.
*Senior leadership only focused on selling the business to cash out which they did to HP who I believe will regret their decision

Advice to Senior ManagementHP management needs to completely clean house of all senior leadership and completely clean house of all sales leadership and sales managers. They all need to go as soon as possible.

The market for their products does not support the size of their current sales staff headcount which needs to be reduced by at least 50% to allow those that remain to make a living.

Reinvest in technical support teams to improve customer satisfaction

Reinvest in product development to update some of the products which are getting rather old in the tooth from a technology perspective.

Stay well clear!

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe marketing is top-notch. It basically sells itself.

ConsToo many to list. It was a sinking ship even before HP came along, now it's just hit an Iceberg and shattered in pieces!

disaster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Prosthey'll hire just about anybody

Conssham of a company, as evidenced by the inevitable fallout that has come after the HP acquisition put an end to the phony management. little of real value here, but amazing salesmanship.

OK company but bad management

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

ProsFree Friday Lunch, great co-worker

ConsBad Management, and bad management

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autonomy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Autonomy CEO Robert Youngjohns. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Autonomy employees.