Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday(in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees(in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone(in 18 reviews)

Autonomy, it could be a great place to work (but for now it's just ok).

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsAutnomy's Calgary office is very well run and a pretty fun place to work. The management in this office is very good about giving praise and letting you know that you have done a good job.
    Autonomy's products interface with so many other vendors that it is possible to get exposed to a wide array of technologies (whether through supporting or developing the product). In addition to this, Autonomy has some really cool products(from voice and video search to liquid office) so there are some really fun things to play with. If you like to be on the cutting edge then Autonomy is a great place to be.

Autonomy keeps buying other companies so over the past while there have been lots of chances for transfers and advancement in positions that might be a better fit for you.

ConsAutonomy's senior management doesn't seem to know that there are many unhappy employees in the company. While the regional management is doing an excellent job, the senior managers don't seem to care, or be aware of what it takes to keep the employees happy.

Autonomy claims that it will only hire the best. However, excellent people leave the company on a regular basis because they are displeased by the lack of support and understanding from Autonomy's head office.

The senior management seem very quick to try to solve "problems" by throwing the easiest solution at the problem. However, this causes issues in the future because often the quickest solution isn't the best.

Autonomy has very VERY poor communication with its lowest level of employees. Very little information is spread through methods other than "the grapevine" and Autonomy never seems to reveal its mission to its employee base. I would guess that most employees have no idea what the company's goals are.

Autonomy has no long term benifits package. This means that if you plan on working with Autonomy for a long time you better make sure you have your own retirement savings.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that senior management begin looking at ways of increasing employee morale. As far as I can tell, there are many unhappy people. I suggest that senior management hire a "employee survey" company to try and figure out what their employees want. Autonomy doesn't seem to realize that monetary rewards are very little incentive for an employee to stay with a company.

In additon to this, Autonomy needs to firmly establish a set of goals or a mission statement for the company. Also, communication needs to be done through official channels and on a regular basis. I suggest that Autonomy consider regular company wide meetings to ensure that all employees are "on the same page". Ideally, these meeting would involve a video conference service so that senior management can be seen and heard through the world. In fact, each meeting should feature an divison of the company (Virage, Zantaz, Cardiff, etc). This would allow everyone to see what is being worked on in the various divisions.

Hopefully the senior management can understand, happy employees are some of the best sales people available. If you are excited about going to work, you will tell everyone about it.

A mixed bag of positives and negatives

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsFor sales, your part of larger sales footprint calling on customers.

ConsSome products are behind competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe competitive.

Good Overall Experience

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsCasual workplace, approachable management, earnest desire to improve.

ConsConvoluted technological tools, rigid workflow, slow to respond to change and/or off the mark with industry standards.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not working.

ProsThere are many great people working here, but not enough. They are all holding on. There are good places to burrow in. There is no real pressure to perform, so you can have security, almost like a government job.

ConsThe technology is rotten. Management is a slumlord. There is no appetite to rearchitect, refactor, rewrite, so the product line is struggling to keep scale with existing client data/demands. Look at the timeline of the companies Autonomy comprises. All of that stuff is still around, like a museum of technology in the 1990s. Smell opportunity? Please! It will take you so long to achieve anything it will make you look bad interviewing for your next job. Money is only available in the wake of a crisis, so you'll be muddling-through. Good ideas are scary. Basic stuff you need to manage crises are broken too: the network, for example, is pathologically broken due to integration problems since the merger. There's more, but trust me, you don't really want to know.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease! ... as if they care. You'll never pay for the acquisition deal losses, so kick back and enjoy the ride, right? It will take another decade for clients to abandon Autonomy, so the gravy train will keep flowing and the decline will match expenses recouped through employee attrition. Maybe you can replace experienced staff with gullible recent grads? A cakewalk! 100% play-acting! HP had better buy some more (new) companies with products to replace 90% of the Autonomy stuff if they want to keep those lucrative clients locked in.

I enjoyed the pay, but was never trained properly & held to unreasonable production standards.

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat pay & benefits! Organized sports after work against other company reams here in SF & good morale amongst coworkers. Free catered lunches weekly!

ConsUpper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees. The sales/BDA goals are extremely unrealistic. I have led my sales team in all my prior positions, but at this company I never hit my weekly quota, nor did 90% of my peers in my department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Spend a day doing what they/we do & see exactly what we are up against & then set production goals based on that. REALISTIC, Attainable Goals.

Suffocating Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorked on a great sub-team with great people, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Free Friday lunch.

ConsTerrible culture. Micro-managing leadership. Lack of product vision in areas with limited experience. Inconsistent messaging to employees. Ridiculous hiring guidelines that could be overturned at any point by the CTO at the time.

Autonomy, Great Company, Top of the line engineers.

Solutions Support Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsGreat products, Great employees, Lots of opportunity to grow. Great benefits for Employees.

ConsNeeds to improve to catch up with competitors.

analyst/CA

Analyst/CA (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosalways have time for fun

Consnot good for beginner
    join it only if this is your last option

Advice to Senior Managementneed to be more professional

Was a mess during HP Merger

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosif you had the right opportunities, pay was good

Constoxic company culture, very public leadership issues during merger killed sales cycles.

The company is growing but still pay scale etc, need to be as per market standard

Technical Solutions Cons (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros- less work pressure
    - work-life balance
    - cab facility, food for rotational shift

Cons- compensation less compared to market
    - quality of work
    - queue management
    - less fun activites

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!