www.autozone.com

Updated 25 January, 2015
2.8

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 65 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Psm

Former Employee - Psm in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Psm in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

Co workers, customer, meeting new people

Cons

Low pay, stress, buddy buddy system

Treat people the way you want to be treated

AutoZone

Current Employee - DC Advisor in Terrell, TX (US)
    Current Employee - DC Advisor in Terrell, TX (US)

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Great Senior management team. Open door policy

Cons

Middle management feels threatened by outside candidates

A productive hourly employwe doesn't always equate to a good leader.

AutoZone

Current Employee - Customer Satisfaction in Kingston, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Satisfaction in Kingston, NY (US)

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Flexible hours
    Competitive drive for advancement

Cons

Low starting pay
    Lots of hierarchy

AutoZoner (Customer Service Rep)

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

Fun Environment, Real feeling of Satisfaction when helping someone, Above Minimum Pay wage for Entry level

Cons

Management is often times lazy, No benefits for part time employees and hardly ANYONE moves up to full time, little opportunity for advancement

Allow CSRs to actually do more for the company, the Password process is atrocious and only causes clogs in customer turnaround. I was happy to have the job, but would have liked to actually see some of "Great Benefits" offered during the application process.

Love My Job

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Havelock, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Havelock, NC (US)

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Great job, flexable hours, room for advancement, no experience necessary, great benefits, job transfer when relocate, good pay

Cons

Management is required to work one night a week and weekends

Listen to your employee suggestions, work around others schedule,

It is retail, nothing more, nothing less.

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Being able to help those in need figure out an issue. It is fast paced in some stores, great opportunities to move up quickly. Competitive sales environment.

Cons

Some of the dress code policy is a little too strict. Some "team" members are extremely lazy, due to termination policies, it is easier said then done to terminate someone. Employee training is minimal and mostly learned on the fly.

The Vice president started out as a part time sales associate. Don't ever forget where you started. Look at incorporating a small commission on certain items per period as a pay incentive for those at the bottom of the food chain to control their salary.

Great job atmosphere

Current Employee - Parts Manager in Palm Bay, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Parts Manager in Palm Bay, FL (US)

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great at working with your schedule

Cons

lack of training for new hired

Manager's are not fair when giving rotating weekends

Would be a very rewarding career if they paid.

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Simple computer system. Achievable goals. working as a team brings success to your store. The customers are awesome, helping people is a great reward, and autozone actually cares about their customers. You can bend, change, and down right break rules to satisfy a customer with no consequence to you. Good core values. Honestly just a good fun job. You represent autozone , that is what they pay you to do (keep their stores nice too). Pretty simple job that's surprisingly rewarding with personal and professional challenges. A job is what you put into it, if you go into this thinking it's a low paying crap job, that is most likely how your going to feel when you leave. I took a different approach, and enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Very low pay. I wish this company would take bigger steps to make this a career, cause let's be honest, the pay is very consistent with a gas station clerk. This company prefers a high turn over, they have minimized the expense to hire someone to like nothing. They found a loop hole in uniforms, so you get to buy your stupid red shirt or whatever color and pants. The computer system they have is so simple a customer could probably cash themselves out. There is a check and balance system that is bullet proof. You are expendable here, it's sad really. Your there to smile ask questions and push buttons. Autozone has really pulled out of "special parts" and really kept to the Walmart style of buisness. They are a successful company, if you were ever lucky enough to work in any of the positions above store manager, career, anything below is a paycheck. Promotion would be the only reason to stick around, it's sad really. But honestly there really smart. if I where head of the company I would change a few things, but I knew the pay when I started, no benefits, no vacation, no sick days, no set schedule, it's a gas station job seriously. I prefer this to a gas station, I like the parts and stuff, I've worked here a couple different times between jobs and it's been a good arrangement. Autozone is everywhere so just cause the job sucks, don't burn this bridge, it's a good little life safer to make a couple bucks between jobs or something like that. Honestly that's all this job is and trust me, autozone doesn't care if you stay or go. So stay positive, leave on good terms.

Nothing really, autozone has really taken the guess work and hard decisions from management. There is a policy for EVERYTHING. Store managers are there to over see everything and drive sales, hire and fire, insure people are doing their jobs, and complete autozone appointed management tasks. Yep, even management can be replaced and don't have a huge influence on the job, unless of course, they are mean controlling freaks. This company runs on auto pilot from district manager down. It has been my experience that they promote people to store manager who have been there for years, a promotion out of professional courtesy from autozone. Almost a test... "if you can make it 4 years on our starting wage without dieing from starvation or a disease that couldn't be treated cause we don't offer benefits, we now shall pay you a respectable wage with health care, you have earned it. Now go! Get checked out by a doctor please"! Congratulations autozone for your success and profits, your employees make 10 to 15 thousand year... yes I said a year. Guess success is in the eyes of the be holder. But hey! You are my favorite oh crap there is nothing else job. Keep your prices low and your employees stupid autozone, I hope I live to see a fair wage and health care be the torch to guide our corporations , I pray for more jobs in our country , so places are FORCED to pay a livable wage. In closing, I do thank you for hiring me in my times of need, you have a great company, I would have stayed longer but we couldn't afford our mortgage and food. I'll consider moving my family to a box in an alley so I can work there. And you guys will pray we don't get sick right? Goodbye

No growth in company

Current Employee - Analyst in Memphis, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Stock doing well, a good place to work in a slow economy

Cons

There is no personal growth, training or career advancement opportunities.

Care for people's growth, you lose out on some great talent as people leave for better opportunities right after bonus.