AutoTrader

www.autotrader.com

AutoTrader Reviews in Atlanta, GA US

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Sandy Schwartz

Pros
  • At one time you could make great money, work from home, cool parties, great product (in 12 reviews)

• Work/life balance highly encouraged (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is gone since they have taken away things, like telecommuting (in 12 reviews)

• Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

High energy, lively people, interesting products, top-notch marketing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsFun environment and people who are very productive with minimal politics.
    Great perks, good salary, bonus structure, excellent benefits, 401k match, pension plan, employee discounts, covered parking, cafeteria, onsite fitness center, community service opportunities
    Interesting business - everyone can relate to automobiles in some way (performance, feel, look, value, image, financial, economy, fuel economy, etc.)

ConsThere was a time period where there was a fear of layoffs. That was a hard time but it seems like they are well over the hump from the time when the industry took a hit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the original creative energy going as you grow and acquire other companies.

Management

Management (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsYoung company, still building infrastructure
    Diversifying-no longer a one dimensional company
    Growth oriented for employees
    Exceptional benefits, which includes bonuses and stock options for management level

ConsStill in flux
    Unclear how to handle competition
    In the midst of changing company direction
    Very silo'ed organization, very little communication across departments

Advice to Senior ManagementRedefine company values to not just be corporate buzz-phrases
    Identify go to products
    Simplify product set

HR Culture at ATC

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsIntelligent, fun (yet professional HR), hard working HR department. Employees are really motivated and love working at ATC. The culture is really lively and embraces change and innovation.

ConsExecutive leadership micro manages down to all levels and needs to improve delegation and empowerment. High turnover in the HR department due to poor leadership. Even the most motivate and intelligent HR members can not sustain the pace of change which often requires an average of 60-70 hours/week. Since I left there are only 2 of the original HR team members still on the team of 20

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your directors and managers so you can focus on the strategic initiatives of the future.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Anonymous

Anonymous (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsBenefits, free parking, nice incentive trips for sales. Very little to add.

ConsUnprofessional, criminal activities going on, poor management, management has no oversight on spending.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house.

Working Environment

Engineer (Current Employee) Dunwoody, GA (US)

ProsAutoTrader has an excellent working environment, very friendly and flexible. It is a fast paced company but allow for great work life balance. Great Benefits!

ConsExcessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees. The cafeteria is limited in its options :). Other than that, all is great!

Great for the aggressive sales person

Advertising Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsBenefits are amazing, industry is growing

ConsComp plan changes regularly. Poor management for my team.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good company weighed down by some in management

Individual Contributor (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat medical and dental plan, decent PTO (if you can get the time away), nice facilities and eating options, covered parking. Salary was slightly above market for my position which I appreciated. Free coffee and discounted lunch within the facilities. Fairly easy access to 285 both coming in and leaving.

ConsIf you're of the aggressive mindset, you may do fine. There's a very competitive spirit within the corporate office. One where managers sometimes put the best interests of their people second to projects which don't warrant the urgency. Each team will be different but overall I see a similar "race to the top" mindset by management. More of a "ready fire aim" approach which doesn't always make the best use of limited time. There are some exceptional individual contributors who are great at what they do. They must get their motivation from the rare occasion they are recognized for their contributions. While the company does have an entire floor dedicated to learning, good luck getting the time away to improve yourself through these opportunities. Also they have a floor dedicated as a break room with TVs and video games. Again, good luck finding the time to utilize these benefits. One last point, I have a hard time accepting management calling people "resources" openly. I understand that's what we are, but be a bit more "human" please.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at how you really interact with your team. Develop them, don't just talk about it. Give them the time and space to do so. You have a great brand, but remember many others did at some point and fell from the top.

Good Benefits and Pay

Manager Information Security (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGood benefits and pay. Most of the employees are pleasant to work wtih and intelligent.

ConsIT leadership politics are at times unprofessional rather than those of a professional work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider improving work/life balance for IT employees. Telecommuting options should be implemented rather than shunned.

You get out of it more than what you put in to it.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros- Smart, skilled, and experienced people (mostly);
    - Strong corporate values (honesty, fairness, competition) are more than just lip service;
    - Honest and relatively transparent dealings with customers;
    - Corporate puts real resources and money behind community service;
    - Employee happiness efforts are more than just lip service. Talk is backed by money and time;
    - Lots of opportunity if you are not an idiot;
    - Very strong financials;
    - Serious attention paid to costs of each project;
    - Corp. not afraid to spend serious money for perceived benefits'
    - Well-managed growth;
    - Company genuinely strategizes for next generation.;
    - Generous pay and benefits, including pension.
    - Interesting problems to solve in a vertical backed by lots and lots of spending.
    - Really nice facilities;
    - Full gym on site. First-class equipment, personal trainers - all FREE;
    - Decent food options in the subsidized cafe

ConsLike all large companies, ATC feels growing pains - too few processes and SOP becomes too much process and SOP. Eventually it will even out.;
    - Very often plans don't survive contact; Lots of hero efforts by individual contributors are often required for projects to succeed. And they often do.
    - Too much red tape sometimes to get things done.
    - Lots of powerpoint and political buy-in required for significant efforts. (not any different than any other place really)
    - It's a first-name place. An hourly worker can call the CEO by first name and it's normal.
    - Can be hard to get recognized, stand out from the crowd. Depends on what department you work in and who your bosses are

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing fine. Way better than a lot of places. If it's not the ideal place, it's certainly trending in the right direction.

Great people, but a lack of transparency or appreciation from management.

Digital Media Designer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsPlenty of great people and personalities. Benefits are great.

ConsCustomer Operations department is all about numbers with little appreciation for individual contribution. Recent management changes have lead to uneasy environment with no work/life balance. Strict clock in times, break times, and shift bids contribute. Constant initiatives to show upper management appreciates employees and wants their opinions, but rarely are any changes put into place. Performance reviews are nonsense.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach

Worked for AutoTrader? Contribute to the Community!