Atlona

Updated 23 October, 2014
3.2

Ilya Khayn

They love their employees

I have been working at Atlona full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Atlona has evolved. The company is doing well. Employees all got raises and recently everyone got a new iPad. Good to see all the whiners gone.

Cons

Sometimes decisions and changes seem quick and not thought out still. Change is good, some change doesn't need to be done.

Continue to trust the people you have. Across the board the company is much better than a year ago.

Run (don't walk) away, no matter the promise!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Atlona full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a handful of truly genuine and trustworthy people that want to do great work and put in the effort to help the company figure itself out, grow and be successful.

Cons

There are many people in the company firmly entrenched in their ways, unwilling to change, are dishonest and cannot be trusted even when asked to be straightforward, including its ownership. The company seems to be unwilling to learn its lessons and evolve, be honest with employees and doesn't have a clear plan and path to growth. If you interview, be sure to ask what their plans are to sustain itself, let alone grow its business.

Management and owner reputation is one of distrust, lack of clarity, deferring decisions, disconnection from staff and not knowing how and/or are unwilling to move the business forward. Be honest with yourselves as well as your employees. Create a work environment staff genuinely want to come to work, are motivated and can succeed in and you might have a chance of regaining some trust and improving morale beyond throwing occasional parties.

If you're willing to put in the hours, it's very rewarding.

Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Atlona full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of sales opportunities in a growing segment. But be willing to work hard and put in the time needed to succeed. If you think this is a 40 hour a week job every week, you'll be disappointed. Flexible with work schedule and a very family-first attitude. Seems to be a renewed interest in hiring and keeping quality employees.
       Great in-office benefits, parties, etc. Nice little perks from management to show appreciation for a job well done. Gift cards, holiday gifts, etc.
       Good product and lots of differentiation from other "me-too" companies in the product category. Genuine concern for customers and providing a good sales and service experience at all levels.

Cons

Compensation is just average or slightly below. Can be very slow to adapt and change methods, procedures, etc. in a very competitive market segment. Relatively small company that does have some under-staffing issues.

It seems you have given a little more trust and control over to the people you hire. Keep it up.

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

Atlona truly has work life balance. There are no crazy 60 hour work weeks here. We value our employees, and provide flexible schedules, and management appreciation.
    BTW, our Director of Sales
    ... More

Intriguing and challenging yet rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Atlona full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Atlona feels like a small company in terms of the interactions between employees and the ability to reach management for questions. The company is still growing and trying to find its path which means the employees have a say in the direction and success of the company. The office is diverse and there is a lot comradery between employees. One on One Reviews are held each year and employees are able to express their desires for growths within the company. Atlona also provides training for those looking to improve their knowledge at the work place. There are a lot of bright and enthusiastic people working at Atlona.

Cons

As a growing company, the direction of the company has changed quite a bit in the last few years. As someone who has been with the company for over 3 years, I have seen a few different management directions the company has chosen. This is understandable from a growing company and within the last year there has been a major push to improve the company image and standing. With that said, employees may be asked to perform duties outside their normal titles possibly even outside their department duties.

The company should be management according to statistics (performance) rather than perceptions of each employees performance by judging their day to day actions at the work place (seeing someone away from their cube).

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

Here at Atlona, we want to keep a friendly, open environment as we grow. The Sr Management team want to hear from the staff, and find a variety of ways to encourage feedback. Our corporate values ... More

Great Company to work for!! Very positive working experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Atlona full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best hiring experience ever!! Kudos to Ivy :)
    Friendly and upbeat environment. Top management always think of ways to encourage and motivate fellow staff. CEO is very focused and goal oriented. I would highly recommend this company.

Cons

Training opportunities, 401k matching, more PTOs.

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

We do have a great recruiting team, and believe our candidate experience will give you a glimpse of how you will be valued as a team member at Atlona. We don’t believe in generic automated responses ... More

chaos

Former Employee - Market in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Market in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Atlona full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none the best thing about my time there was the network of people that I met

Cons

constant change of company charter, low salaries, employees not valued,

grow up

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

The Management team has heard you loud and clear; yes we have had to make changes-- for the better.

Interesting at first, then the shine came off quickly.

I worked at Atlona full-time

Pros

If you need a job and your unemployment has run out and you don't qualify for public assistance . . . this may be the place for you.

Cons

Weak, me too product line, poor communication, near zero management competency, a narrow subcontract (ODM) manufacturing strategy, questionable quality and a complete lack of ethics.

Grow some ethics.

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

Atlona has gone through quite a bit of changes, including hiring practices to refine our recruitment of qualified talent. Although we continue to strive to develop our employees, we can’t please ... More

It's an up and coming company, with an exciting team.

I have been working at Atlona full-time

Pros

People are passionate about the product, company and job. Nice working culture, work life balance is great.

Cons

There are growing pains, sometimes understaffed.

Keep in mind what successful company's have done, and keep following that path

2 steps forward 3 steps back

I have been working at Atlona full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bagel Friday. A lot of the staff are incredible people with a lot to offer. Reasonably casual dress code allowed in the office. Some reasonably cool technologies on the horizon. Pay has improved somewhat over the last one and a half years.

Cons

I've seen the cycle of things improving only to regress multiple times here. The directors, who have excellent ideas and experience, are not allowed to execute on anything. The owners of the company are inexperienced and indecisive. It is truly an unfortunate situation. There are so many talented people here that work incredibly hard. If the owners were to step into a backround role and hire outside replacements, it would lead to a new era of growth. If we continue to do things the way that we have, it will lead to the end of the company.

Based on my experience, it seems like most of what we do is re-arrange deck chairs on the Titanic. If this company is around in 5 years I would be extremely surprised.

Step aside and let your Directors do what the need to do. If you are unwilling to do that, then at least show some sort of leadership and vision. A ship that is adrift at sea, with no one at the rudder, will eventually break up on the rocks..

Jun 16, 2014Sr Director HR

Atlona has come a long way in the past couple of years, bringing in more experienced people to enhance its Sr Management team to work with the Ownership.

Very good place to work at

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Atlona full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company is well positioned in the industry, team members are very competitive, customer oriented and friendly. Nice culture and good opportunities to contribute to business and extend skills to a new level.

Cons

None that I can think of right now. Maybe AC can be a bit adjusted, sometimes it can get a bit warm and other times it was too cold.