Atkins

Atkins Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger

Uwe Krueger

Pros:
  • "Experiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Relaxed working environment with flexible work hours"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "No career development during my 3 years at the company (This was during GFC)"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Low pay except for senior management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mixed Bag

Assistant Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Atkins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSilos abound - individual teams/locations are fantastic. I've worked across the business and while my last positing had great managers, diversity of work, opportunites for growth, other teams are not the same.

ConsNo consistency across the different business units. Poor organisation:- some businesses are run badly, and even some business units within buisness could be run better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor salary relative to market, poor career progrssion. Flexi-time/ flexible working isn't really as flexible as it is sold to be.

Forward thinking company with interesting projects and a challenging/inspiring work environment.

I have been working at Atkins full-time for more than a year

ProsLine managers that are interested in their teams' well being as well as performance
Flexible work arrangements are first class
Good performance is rewarded
Clear career paths and development framework
International colleague support is readily available if you ask
International mobility of working on projects overseas is particularly pleasing

ConsIT systems are, in some cases, somewhat antiquated and can be frustratingly slow or unresponsive
Activities can sometimes be very process driven, unnecessarily so

Advice to Senior ManagementThe social aspects of the organisation should remain a focus for the business. "Work hard, play hard" is fine, as long as the play element is there.

Great Company.

Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Atkins full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat oppertunities to learn and get involved.

ConsBecause of it's large size, can become segmented and separated

Advice to Senior Managementnone

In top 3 of intl consultancies in UAE

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Atkins full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat projects. Lots of good people to do the work. Healthy working culture (professional and courteous, usually). Majority of management are from the UK, rather than from the region, and therefore they have values which align with the Atkins brand, and not just a "local version" of it.

ConsPoor mid-level communication. Poor staff recognition. Major "old boys club" vibe.

Houston Booming - Atkins Busting

Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Atkins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTalented co-workers. Very good benefits and flexible work schedules to enable a family work life balace. Nice office great dining nearby.

ConsPolitical, corrupt with rampant favortism. Demoralizing & demotivating management style, manage by intimidation. Constant re-organization leaves employees unsettled and fearful of being laid off. Management has admitted for years that they have horrible communication skills yet do not correct. A revolving door for talented people. Declining reputation in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour actions speak louder than words and they say you are out for number one...yourself.

Excellent working environment

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Atkins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExperiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement

ConsBelow average salary, not as joint up as we'd like to be

Poor management, poor distribution of work

Human Resources Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Atkins full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are based in Epsom or London there are loads of opportunities to develop professionally. If you are outside those locations in the UK opportunities are limited.

ConsIf you are in the UK but outside Epsom or London opportunities to develop and get involved in interesting work can be limited.

Great staff in need of better management

Senior Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Atkins full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHard working, ethical, creative and talented technical staff. Great support staff

ConsIn past 8 years or so, at least one reorganization every two years. Highest levels of management do not listen to staff on reorgs. They give the impression of such, but dissenting opinions not given much weight. Current alignment has little chance of being successful for some groups, while others will be fine. But why the constant need to rearrange corporate structure?

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. Your technical and support staff are leaving in droves, just as the national economy is picking up steam.

Good company to work for

Civil Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Atkins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunity to work abroad with plenty of opportunity for professional development

ConsSalary not the best out there for the sector

Advice to Senior ManagementMore incentives needed

Excellent place to start your career

Junior Architect (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Atkins full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat exposure for me as a beginner. As they hire only the best, you get the chance to work with the best. Surrounded by smart people changes you for good. Atkins takes up only large corporate projects only, so if you want to get hands on experience working on a large scale project manged through international best practices, there is no other place other than Atkins.

ConsMoving up is slow. Compensation is based on a standard scale linked to your job title. Sometimes feels like a govt. office for this reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate young aspiring worker handsomely if you want them to stay and add value to your company.

Worked for Atkins? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Atkins reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger. All 114 reviews are posted anonymously by Atkins employees.