Atkins

Updated 2 March, 2015
3.1

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger
Uwe Krueger

Pros
  • Experiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement (in 19 reviews)

• Very friendly and social working environment with technically excellent staff producing high quality work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance restricted, Have you tell your boss where to go and be like a kid (in 4 reviews)

• No career development during my 3 years at the company (This was during GFC) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Countless global opportunities. A great place to prosper.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Diligence, hard work and technical competence are recognized in Atkins. Those that are willing to apply themselves seem to do well which has led to a dynamic yet compassionate atmosphere.

Cons

As with any consultancy there are peaks and troughs in workload.

Make every effort to maintain the current working environment especially as Atkins grows.

Great place to learn

Former Intern - Graduate Consultant
    Former Intern - Graduate Consultant

I worked at Atkins as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They use an incredibly high number of softwares and they use all of them equally. As a fresh graduate, although I was only able to stick around for a short while due to the decline in oil prices, I managed to learn many valuable skills. I've never seen a company use as many softwares as Atkins. Keep in mind that I'm speaking in regards to their consultancy that caters to the energy sector- I am unaware of how their other offices operate.

Cons

Management seems to be slow about getting work around the office. I had no control over how much work I had, and there would be times where I simply sat down and did nothing for several hours, or even days at a time, while my colleagues were all busy. Management does a lot more of their own work than actual management. Perhaps I disagree with the company philosophy which may be significantly more effective than how traditional businesses run, but from my experience it seemed to favor senior employees and leave new ones on the back burner.

People were being hired for a string of 6 or so months, even 2 months into the market crash. There was not enough work for all of these people. Should definitely consider slowing down the hiring process if the work is as heavily tied to the economy as it seems to be.

Was a very beneficial internship

Former Employee - Technical Intern I in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Intern I in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Atkins

Pros

Learned alot
    Coworkers were great
    Management is changing structure of the company for the better
    Great office culture

Cons

Didn't haven enough workload to hire me on as a full time employee after graduation
    Commute up to the golden triangle wasn't the best

It is a global organisation

Current Employee - Team Leader in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work culture is pretty good

Cons

At present I do not have any

Recruiting the right experience candidate

A good company let down by overworking staff and not recognising their needs to grow

Former Employee - Transport Planner
    Former Employee - Transport Planner

I worked at Atkins full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People I worked with were at the forefront of their industry. Extremely knowledgeable and welcoming. Very clever people who always happy to help
    Lots of projects and the work is very intense so you learn quite a bit.
    Office environment in Gateway was nice.
    IT was top notch. The latest versions of everything and great back-up helpline.
    Line manager despite being totally overworked always helped where possible.

Cons

-Personal growth was dreadful. I waited seven months for a discussion over my career aspirations and got 2 days training in 10 months. I wanted to become chartered but if your not a grad it is totally unclear who to go too.
    -The work-life balance is shockingly bad. I worked over 80% of my weekends whilst there (unpaid) and those who have been there a while are absolute workaholics. I have never seen a group of people who work so hard.
    -The holidays are not as great as they seem. Yes you get a few more days a year but then again you work 2.5-3 hours longer which effectively mean you pay for your own holidays.
    -Pay for having 3 years experience was a couple of grand higher than a graduate which seems odd. Since Atkins is based in Epsom wages are relatively low as not technically in London but Surrey is just as expensive. My current organisation gave me the equivalent of a 50% pay rise per hour.
    -Never got out of the office after first week. Stuck to my desk rigidly.

People with a couple of years experience also want to get chartered so help them! Stop pandering to graduates all the time. Do proper inductions and talk to your employee in the first week about training and what they would like to do.
    Pay needs to be better as Epsom is not much cheaper than London.
    Appreciate how hard your staff work and say it more often. You have some extremely clever individuals who work their backsides off.

Design engineer within the rail sector involved in Rail enhancement projects and schemes.

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Atkins greatly value their younger employees and recognise the importance of producing and developing quality engineers; competent enough to comprehend and execute the complex and diverse challenges huge projects possess whether it is today, tomorrow or scheduled to launch in the unforeseen future.

Opportunities for young/experienced professionals to travel or relocate.

Excellent working environment.

Internal promotion/career progression is more common than external.

Cons

Graduate salaries are lower than opposing companies.
    Civil Engineering orientated consultancy.

I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year working at Atkins Aerospace, an excellent, well-established company

Former Intern - Year In Industry Student in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Year In Industry Student in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Atkins as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Being part of a leading design, engineering and project management company allowed me to develop my self management skills, interpersonal skills, adapting onsite with two leading engineering companies. Truly recognized for my abilities and efforts and appreciated for the work I delivered.

Cons

No Cons, but you are given a lot of responsibility to deliver on projects and a high standard of work is expected at all times with a high level o professionalism.

Office Culture is great, a genuine relaxed atmosphere and everyone is treated the same no matter what level they sit at in the organisation.

Grad Engineer

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Great company to work for, great variety of businesses and roles to move around.

Cons

Climbing up the ladder is difficult, progression based on experience more then performance.

Environmental Scientist

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Salary is good, team structure is good, management cares about you

Cons

Like all big companies, it is sort of slow to respond to change.

Very good learned alot relating to traffic and transport engineering

Former Employee - Team Leader in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Atkins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work ethic, promotion opportunities

Cons

Very competitive but rewarding if you succeed.

Continue training programmes, and promotion opportunities.