www.assurant.com

Updated 26 January, 2015
3.1

Assurant President, CEO and Director Rob Pollock
Rob Pollock

Pros
  • Assurant provides a reasonable salary and good benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits: Health insurance Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield with No Co-pay (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits too high, no room for advancement, poor management, training (in 10 reviews)

• There is no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very positive

Current Employee - Agent in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Agent in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Assurant full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Self employed agent; independent contractor; make own hours; higher compensation than other insurance companies

Cons

you have to pay own EI, CPP as self employed; benefits not worth it; no pension or RRSP matching

pensions or RRSP contributions; consider minimum wage plus comp for full time agents representing clients

Not Very Fulfilling

Former Employee - Data Specialist in Kingston, ON
    Former Employee - Data Specialist in Kingston, ON

I worked at Assurant full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at Assurant for 9 years.......there used to be many pros, such as functions, rewards, etc but they steadily disappeared over the years, not just for me (who was a stellar employee) but for everyone, except for management of course.

Cons

No room for advancement and favoritism: If you weren't friends with management, you didn't get promoted. As with many large companies, you had to apply for another position if you were interested in it. They didn't base it on what type of an employee you were and how well you did in your current position, they based it on how well you did in the interview or whether you were friends with management! I was turned down for another position because I didn't answer the interview questions the way they wanted me to. The position was given to someone who always failed her audits, never met her productivity requirements and was constantly calling in sick. That's Assurant's way of doing things....move the bad employees from department to department rather than get rid of them until there are no more departments to move them to. There was one employee who couldn't do any of the jobs that they put her in yet they kept moving her around until she finally screwed up so bad that they had no choice but to get rid of her. (She didn't even have to apply for another position, they would just give her one.) Be terrible in your job and they recognize that by giving you something else to do but you can be the best in your job and not be given an ounce of recognition even though you're the reason the company is as successful as they are.

Mid-Year and Year-End Reviews are a farce: You were forced to evaluate yourself every 6 months, then your supervisor would review you. They supposedly used these reviews to evaluate your merit increase. Bahahaha! Like I said before, I was a stellar employee, never called in sick, was always positive, always beat productivity requirements, never failed my audits, was top employee in my department and always, always had positive reviews from my supervisors. All that got me was a tiny raise that wasn't even enough to keep up with the cost of living! The merit increases went down every year that I was there even though my work ethic, etc got better. First year I was there I got a 4% increase. Last year I was there (9 years later) it was less than 1%! Not much incentive to continue working there. When I gave my notice, rather than offer me more money than the job I was going to was paying me, they hired TWO people to replace me. Someone didn't think that one out very well. But that's Assurant, don't want to give too much for fear of someone expecting even more. All I expected was respect and recognition for a job well done.

They had a suggestion program where employees could provide their suggestions on how to improve things. If your suggestion was approved they would actually give you money. Sad thing is, they never approved any of the suggestions. Instead, someone in management would implement your suggestion later on and claim it as their own. I figured that's the only way some management in that company are where they are......because they used their employees and took credit for things that should have been given to the employees instead.

- The little guys are the reason you are where you are today and why you continue to be where you are today. Don't think you're anything special because you're part of management. You didn't get there on your own.
    - Recognize the good employees and get rid of the bad ones.
    - Have more respect for the people who actually do the work and stop promoting people based on the fact that they are your friends and have no experience at all.
    Increase your pay range. Make your employees feel like you actually WANT them there instead of making them feel like they're lucky to have a job.
    - Be more truthful to the employees who are on the low end of the totem pole. Just because you're at the top of the totem pole doesn't mean you're any better than them. Without them you would be nothing.

I liked my job, if I didn't I wouldn't have stayed there for 9 years as the pay wasn't a reason to stay that's for sure. I would have stayed until retirement had I been given the respect and recognition that I deserved. Oh well, not to toot my own horn but you lost an excellent employee and gained two more useless ones. But no matter what I say, you'll continue to do what you do and just treat the employees as if they're just a number. Sad, really sad!!!

If you're best friends with your boss, you'll go places.

Former Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON

I worked at Assurant

Pros

Great benefits, lots of opportunities for training, industry leading products, very ethical with regard to professional practices, extremely flexible with regard to scheduling and balancing work/life .

Cons

Too much politicking. If you're not in the in-crowd, you're not going anywhere. Obvious favoritism and a lot of game--playing. Senior executives who are more in it for them selves than for the success of their direct reports. No skip level reviews, so no opportunity for direct reports to provide feedback on their managers.

Look at your managers. Keep your good talent. Your environment is getting toxic, so find a way to make it more positive again.

Assurant Kingston Call Centre - Trash Meca!

Current Employee - Contact Centre Associate in Kingston, ON
    Current Employee - Contact Centre Associate in Kingston, ON

I have been working at Assurant

Pros

Good benefits, nice seating area, fun group events.

Cons

Assurant Solution uses software to time your call resolution. The pressure is overwhelming! For the amount of work you have to do, they pay is not worth it. If you're French, ask for a signing bonus. Don't count on a promotion; all of the good jobs are in Toronto. This place is not a career place- its okay if you're like 40 and wanna keep busy and don't care about the money.

Because it's a call center, you're gonna meet some weirdoes there who are generally unemployable. I worked with one with a bladder problem. This was a school gig for me so I don't care anymore. This place is the bottom of the barrel as far as employment talent in concerned.

I'd hate to be a manager in charge of this motley crew. If I were to give advice: ease up on the staff with that employee monitoring software. Call center work sucks, so cut the staff some slack.

Having the possibility of promotions would also be nice... I don't want to move to Toronto unless I have to.

Nepotism is alive and well at Assurant.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Assurant

Pros

Good benefits. Some people are very nice. (The rose among the thorns)

Cons

At Assurant, someone in the Canadian Marketing team is laid off about every quarter. One manager once told me that a company is like a sports team and needs to keep the talent fresh. I agree, however some managers abuse this opportunity to service their own agenda.

One of the Marketing managers seems to fire capable individuals and replaces them with former colleagues and friends; these individuals are also not always better qualified. Nepotism is alive and well at Assurant. Ass kissing will get you ahead there. I am immensely surprised that the President, a seemingly nice guy, allows this to happen.

Assurant is not a healthy place to work. It could be a better place if senior management insured that mid-managers are creating collaborative environments with people from diverse backgrounds. Often in meetings, there are big elephants in the room; but because officials are often to insecure to challenge their ideas, candid conversation is regularly curtailed. A first step would be to implement a rule limiting the number of acquaintances one manager can hire. The second step would be to test a department's ability to communicate productively controversial ideas.

Overall good.

I worked at Assurant

Pros

Clean break rooms, overall good learning experience.

Cons

Not enough room to move up.

None.

Assurant

Former Employee - Loss Draft Specialist in Florence, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Loss Draft Specialist in Florence, SC (US)

I worked at Assurant

Pros

Services that were provided tocustomers

Cons

not able to grow, compensation

Business Analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Assurant

Pros

The environment has room for growth

Cons

As typical with any large company, the office politics are extremely high. People will throw others under the bus to look good and get that next promotion.

Keep your word when you have good people and you promise to bring them on as an employee. People have families to feed.

A good place to work if you can stick with it

I have been working at Assurant

Pros

Full Benefits (for yourself and family)
    Facility is nice
    Pay is Okay
    Large range of hours available

Cons

Staying on the phone with an escalated homeowner can be a draining experience sometimes

More communication between different departments would be ideal

Good company but not necessarily the most exciting.

Former Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Assurant as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Assurant does a really great job trying to make sure that their employees are happy. They put a high emphasis on employee engagement, satisfaction, etc which is really refreshing to see.

Cons

Insurance is not the most exciting industry, which can sometimes be apparent in the levels of energy in the office. Unfortunately this just comes with the territory.