Assurant

Be The First To
Add Photos

Assurant President, CEO and Director Rob Pollock

Rob Pollock

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, solid company if more conservative than others on risk"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Good Benefits but not much else at this company"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not a lot of challenges to foster learning opportunities and very top heavy therefore there are no room for advancement"
    in 10 reviews
  • "There is no room for advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not Very Fulfilling

Data Specialist (Former Employee)
Kingston, ON

I worked at Assurant full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI worked at Assurant for 9 years.......there used to be many pros, such as functions, rewards, etc but they steadily disappeared over the years, not just for me (who was a stellar employee) but for everyone, except for management of course.

ConsNo room for advancement and favoritism: If you weren't friends with management, you didn't get promoted. As with many large companies, you had to apply for another position if you were interested in it. They didn't base it on what type of an employee you were and how well you did in your current position, they based it on how well you did in the interview or whether you were friends with management! I was turned down for another position because I didn't answer the interview questions the way they wanted me to. The position was given to someone who always failed her audits, never met her productivity requirements and was constantly calling in sick. That's Assurant's way of doing things....move the bad employees from department to department rather than get rid of them until there are no more departments to move them to. There was one employee who couldn't do any of the jobs that they put her in yet they kept moving her around until she finally screwed up so bad that they had no choice but to get rid of her. (She didn't even have to apply for another position, they would just give her one.) Be terrible in your job and they recognize that by giving you something else to do but you can be the best in your job and not be given an ounce of recognition even though you're the reason the company is as successful as they are.

Mid-Year and Year-End Reviews are a farce: You were forced to evaluate yourself every 6 months, then your supervisor would review you. They supposedly used these reviews to evaluate your merit increase. Bahahaha! Like I said before, I was a stellar employee, never called in sick, was always positive, always beat productivity requirements, never failed my audits, was top employee in my department and always, always had positive reviews from my supervisors. All that got me was a tiny raise that wasn't even enough to keep up with the cost of living! The merit increases went down every year that I was there even though my work ethic, etc got better. First year I was there I got a 4% increase. Last year I was there (9 years later) it was less than 1%! Not much incentive to continue working there. When I gave my notice, rather than offer me more money than the job I was going to was paying me, they hired TWO people to replace me. Someone didn't think that one out very well. But that's Assurant, don't want to give too much for fear of someone expecting even more. All I expected was respect and recognition for a job well done.

They had a suggestion program where employees could provide their suggestions on how to improve things. If your suggestion was approved they would actually give you money. Sad thing is, they never approved any of the suggestions. Instead, someone in management would implement your suggestion later on and claim it as their own. I figured that's the only way some management in that company are where they are......because they used their employees and took credit for things that should have been given to the employees instead.

Advice to Senior Management- The little guys are the reason you are where you are today and why you continue to be where you are today. Don't think you're anything special because you're part of management. You didn't get there on your own.
- Recognize the good employees and get rid of the bad ones.
- Have more respect for the people who actually do the work and stop promoting people based on the fact that they are your friends and have no experience at all.
Increase your pay range. Make your employees feel like you actually WANT them there instead of making them feel like they're lucky to have a job.
- Be more truthful to the employees who are on the low end of the totem pole. Just because you're at the top of the totem pole doesn't mean you're any better than them. Without them you would be nothing.

I liked my job, if I didn't I wouldn't have stayed there for 9 years as the pay wasn't a reason to stay that's for sure. I would have stayed until retirement had I been given the respect and recognition that I deserved. Oh well, not to toot my own horn but you lost an excellent employee and gained two more useless ones. But no matter what I say, you'll continue to do what you do and just treat the employees as if they're just a number. Sad, really sad!!!

If you're best friends with your boss, you'll go places.

Marketing (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Assurant

ProsGreat benefits, lots of opportunities for training, industry leading products, very ethical with regard to professional practices, extremely flexible with regard to scheduling and balancing work/life .

ConsToo much politicking. If you're not in the in-crowd, you're not going anywhere. Obvious favoritism and a lot of game--playing. Senior executives who are more in it for them selves than for the success of their direct reports. No skip level reviews, so no opportunity for direct reports to provide feedback on their managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your managers. Keep your good talent. Your environment is getting toxic, so find a way to make it more positive again.

Assurant Kingston Call Centre - Trash Meca!

Contact Centre Associate (Current Employee)
Kingston, ON

I have been working at Assurant

ProsGood benefits, nice seating area, fun group events.

ConsAssurant Solution uses software to time your call resolution. The pressure is overwhelming! For the amount of work you have to do, they pay is not worth it. If you're French, ask for a signing bonus. Don't count on a promotion; all of the good jobs are in Toronto. This place is not a career place- its okay if you're like 40 and wanna keep busy and don't care about the money.

Because it's a call center, you're gonna meet some weirdoes there who are generally unemployable. I worked with one with a bladder problem. This was a school gig for me so I don't care anymore. This place is the bottom of the barrel as far as employment talent in concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd hate to be a manager in charge of this motley crew. If I were to give advice: ease up on the staff with that employee monitoring software. Call center work sucks, so cut the staff some slack.

Having the possibility of promotions would also be nice... I don't want to move to Toronto unless I have to.

Nepotism is alive and well at Assurant.

Toronto, ON

I have been working at Assurant

ProsGood benefits. Some people are very nice. (The rose among the thorns)

ConsAt Assurant, someone in the Canadian Marketing team is laid off about every quarter. One manager once told me that a company is like a sports team and needs to keep the talent fresh. I agree, however some managers abuse this opportunity to service their own agenda.

One of the Marketing managers seems to fire capable individuals and replaces them with former colleagues and friends; these individuals are also not always better qualified. Nepotism is alive and well at Assurant. Ass kissing will get you ahead there. I am immensely surprised that the President, a seemingly nice guy, allows this to happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssurant is not a healthy place to work. It could be a better place if senior management insured that mid-managers are creating collaborative environments with people from diverse backgrounds. Often in meetings, there are big elephants in the room; but because officials are often to insecure to challenge their ideas, candid conversation is regularly curtailed. A first step would be to implement a rule limiting the number of acquaintances one manager can hire. The second step would be to test a department's ability to communicate productively controversial ideas.

Needs Modernization

Senior Technical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSomewhat flexible hours in professional roles. Good retirement savings plans with high limits.

ConsNo training. Antiquated hardware and software. Still on XP desktops in 2014. Office is typical old tall cubicles, very minimal windows. Limited access to management, who are typically in different offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementMediocre staff OK with mediocre opportunities are happy to remain. Excellent staff find excellent opportunities, unfortunately those are often elsewhere.

ok

Hazard Specialist (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than a year

Prospay, overtime. office cultre and pto

Consincompetent managers no room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementtrain yourself

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment, lot of benefits including gym, tennis court, basketball court, great selection of food in the cafeteria

ConsSoftware stack is not very up to date, you can end up using oldish Microsoft technologies

Not a positive place to work

Duluth, GA (US)

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get to work with Chase, Citi, and Suntrust mortgage. No dress code enforcement.

ConsLack culture in protecting customer information. Allows electronic devices into sensative areas. No random drug testing.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnprofessional environment in Duluth Georgia. Need random drug testing. High turnover and no longer offer 401k to new employees

Not a good place for growth..

Hazard Insurance Specialist II (Current Employee)
Duluth, GA (US)

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than a year

ProsVery laid back place to work..

ConsSlow growth..low pay lazy mangement

Advice to Senior ManagementPresent opportunties for growth.

Information Protection Services Analyst Internship

Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Assurant as an intern for less than a year

ProsAssurant is a solid international company with four streams of business and is a Fortune 500 company. The company culture is fun, communicative and encourages teamwork.

ConsDuring my six month internship I have watched Assurant reduce staff, some willingly, most not. They're trimming the tenured employees/managers and leaving people with far less experience and knowledge running the business. This concerns me.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so quick to reduce expenses at the cost of experienced leadership. Those left behind are struggling and feeling quite insecure.

Worked for Assurant? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Assurant reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Assurant CEO Rob Pollock. All 147 reviews are posted anonymously by Assurant employees.