Ashford University

Updated 28 January, 2015
2.5

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits (in 30 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of time put in (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage (in 17 reviews)

• Senior Management is very reactive and any type of job security is non-existent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I just started, but wow, is this place not ethical!

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some really fun people to work with.

Cons

So far I've been told this is an old, reputable University in Iowa that wanted to start making it easier for people to obtain a good degree, but turns out, this company bought the location in Iowa not long ago by a guy and investors that used to work for another online college degree company. They only bought the cheap Iowa location to give them credibility and to make is easier to get accreditation.
    No matter what they tell me, it’s a sales job and you are asked to really push people to get sign up for classes, not because of some honorable reason that will help people, but because it's profitable for the company.
    This so called school isn’t respected and in fact there are many legal infractions against this company and there are people on the good side of education that want to close diploma mills down and this is the quintessential diploma mill.
    The environment is rows and rows of little cubical with people making hundreds of calls in a day to sell a worthless degree. They sign innocent people who don’t know they are taking classes from a company that won’t help their career.

Shut it down! You are a literally stealing the spirit of hope and effort from innocent people in order to profit!

It was Sales dressed up like education, but some skills were transferable

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to get a sales job and hit things like calls per day and make a calling strategy this is simply that. There are benefits for those who can get past the selling school to people who get afford it aspect. The people tend to be good because everyone is in the same boat and as long as you're not looking for personal fulfillment you could earn a paycheck and get paid holidays off.

Cons

You are a number. If the school ever loses it's accreditation or if it isn't profitable it will close. I worked there during an accreditation scare and a lot of people jumped ship. The managers are generally promoted if they are good sales people, which doesn't always make for good managers. It can be stressful if you are behind, but if you can stay under the radar and produce they'll leave you along. If you don't produce, your number is up.

Cultivate better leadership as opposed to encouraging micromanagement. This advice won't get taken because the company is looking for a profit, but I'm long past my anger over working here.

Admissions

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Downtown location was a plus.

Cons

They make you feel like a number and not a person. I was once told that they were managing on a curve, the bottom 15% would be fired... I was told, just don't be in that bottom... and you'll be fine.

Cal it what it is.. Broiler room.

2nd worst job ever next to a chicken plant

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pay; comfortable work environment

Cons

Horrible leadership! Executives are not in touch with the feelings on the floor. Management is via intimidation to elicit results. Favoritism determines who gets the best resources or growth opportunities. It's a culture of deceit and fear for losing one's job. NOT A CAREER OPPORTUNITY! No loyalty to good employees; if you don't buy into the politics or question the handling of student success you won't last long. It's not about the student's success as preached but the bottom $$!

Revamp both management and executive teams.

Thought I had a promising future there...

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved what I did, I loved the people I worked with, and the tuition benefits were great!

Cons

Lack of communication between departments, management, and executive leadership led to lots of wasted time on failed initiatives and often created more work instead of streamlining processes for employees to make their days more productive and less stressful. Absolutely no job security, even if you are a good performer and show commitment and dedication to the organization. Employees are constantly in fear that they will get laid off and they are constantly pushed to perform to unrealistic expectations. While they offer generous vacation benefits, taking time off leaves you so far behind and stressed out that you either a) don't take vacation, b) work while on your vacation c) take vacation and then get inn trouble when you return because you can't catch up quickly from the amount of work that piled up while you were out. Guess which option I went with? I will give you a hint...it wasn't C.

Better communication! Promotions should be based on abilities, not popularity and after-hours social events. I have seen many good employees get laid off just because they didn't party, while people who grossly violate policies and ethics are given promotions and incentives.

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Financial Services Operations Lead in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Operations Lead in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits (Tuition fully paid for, there are "decent" medical benefits, convenience.

Cons

Constant fear of layoffs, lawsuits, job loss and DOE reviews. Restrictions on growth.

Do not force employees to sign documents asking them to "waive" their raises for 6 months in the event of a promotion. Understand that employees are people and not numbers as you used to.

great for recent graduates

Former Employee - Admissions in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits and salary is good

Cons

upper management has no idea how promote from within- all politics

take time to know and understand your staff strengths and weakness and coach for success

Great pay, great benefits including TR, but NO GROWTH.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ashford University has a great mission of serving the under served in educational goals. The benefits as an employee was great and some of the coworkers were so much fun. You grow professionally there and challenge yourself in ways no other job will. I came in with extensive sales, communication, counseling and management experience so I didn't experience problems like others.

Cons

Highly-stressful, cold-calling environment and if you have a bad manager, good luck!. Departments lack integration and communication. Not enough student and financial advisors so admissions takes on double the work. Though I wasn't a victim of one and was on a top team, many people face lay offs and if you don't come with great communication skills and quick thinking, you won't survive. it takes a certain individual to stay there. They don't appreciate long-term loyal and qualified employees. I would have stayed if I got moved up in the positions but that did not happen for reasons I will say are "favoritism" or "personal."

You lose too many wonderful and loyal employees who just need more appreciation and higher pay. Though you added new positions with higher pay, it is rarely seen that people get that promotion and a "slap to the face" when you hire someone externally for it. Managers need a lot of education as they lack leadership and new strategies.

Super micro managed, not trusted.

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Glorified telemarketer . Nothing good about this job, everyone is miserable and if they aren't then they are using energy to pretend it's great. Co-workers and I Contemplated slashing my tire at lunch plenty of times to not have to return to work. I quit cold shoulder no job lined up - good for the soul. It's a paycheck and that's it. You meet cool people who can in turn help you find a new job. Work on Saturdays.

Cons

Everything!! Managers sit at your desk while you work. Greedy CEO. Steer clear.

Trust your employees.

Worst job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good breakfast burritos in the cafeteria. I stuck it out for over 3 years and that's the best I can come up with.

Cons

What isn't a con? Where do I start? Just don't put yourself though it!

Look deep inside and reexamine your morals. You know you're not "changing lives". It's quite the opposite

Ashford University Photos