Ashford University

www.ashford.edu

Ashford University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Ashford University – US – “Cubicle life”

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude

Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits(in 26 reviews)

• Pay and benefits-good enough to sustain you while you actively seek different employment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage(in 15 reviews)

• Of those, more than 100 were Admissions Counselors(in 14 reviews)

Admissions Counselor

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

Pros-Nice location.
    -Meet great people.
    -Decent benefits

Cons-Don't let them fool you, this is a high pressure telemarketing job.
    -Highly unethical company. CEO voted one of the greediest in America. High student fees with a very low percentage of that money actually going towards education.
    -In spite of what you are told, there are quotas you are expected to meet. The catch is they are not allowed to tell you what the quota is, so you have to guess and hope you meet it.
    -No incentives
    -I was encouraged to lie to prospective students on multiple occasions to try to get them to enroll.
    -I once got called into a meeting with two managers and a director to discuss my posture and they way I sat at my desk. They wanted me to "look" more engaged as I talked on the phone.
    -I had 10 bosses. All telling me to do things differently, all getting upset if I didn't do it their way, all looking over my shoulder constantly to monitor every minute of my day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees some space and trust they know how to do their job. Treating adults like children creates poor moral and decreases productivity and employee satisfaction.

Place employees in positions that match their skill set. It makes no sense to force employees to prove themselves in a position that is a poor match for their skills in order to get into a position that does match their skills. It's poor utilization of the skills of your employees and leads to a higher turnover rate than is necessary.

A good stepping-stone/entry-level position.

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGood pay, good benefits, positive/fun environment.

ConsHigh-pressure, no job security, sales tactics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe positive and enthusiastic with your employees.

Worst Job Ever

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee)

ProsLots of overtime (whether you want it or not).

ConsThe overall atmosphere, very high pressured sales but they get mad if you refer to your position as such

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learning Technology Specialist

Learning Technology Specialist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsManagers really cared about their team for the most part. During hard times, managers would have team meetings to help keep moral moving, however most of these great managers ended up leaving.

ConsLow pay, nearly 30% below market value. Layoffs occur twice in 6 months, and was volunteer leave or random selection if not enough people left. The CEO was voted Bloomberg's greediest man in the USA.

Advice to Senior ManagementIs it a school or a business. if its a school, give us the benefits we deserve. If its a business, give us the salary we deserve.

Do it only for the money

ProsGood benefits, free Master's degree, steady paycheck. Co-workers were pretty awesome as well.

ConsWhere shall I begin? With all the accreditation issues, cliquey work environment and mediocre managers at best,it was tough to stomach coming to work some days. What kept me going were the few great students, a steady paycheck, as well as a free advanced degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some qualified people,not just your buddies that may not know the day of the week.

I started in 2008...things were good. That experience started to go downhill in 2011. Unrealistic expectations.

Lead Student Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsHelping students through their educational journeys.

ConsToo many changes that aren't well executed that cause miscommunications and additional, unnecessary work for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your s* together BPI.

Admissions

ProsGreat benefits, good pay, front line staff are amazing

ConsSenior Management is very reactive and any type of job security is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Faculty

Online Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat structure and professional leadership.

Consnone at this time.

Challenging and gratifying.

Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat community, solid education, fast paced, student driven

ConsManagement culture, constant tuition increases,

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to give credit where credit is due, better salaries

Great organization to further your career opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay for successful courses completed for your BA

ConsYou cannot move up quickly without a degree

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!