Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
www.ajg.com Itasca, IL 5000+ Employees

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros:
  • "Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance too much focus on quantity and not quality of work"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Probably above average for large US broker/consultants

Consulting/Compliance (Current Employee)

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunities exist for self-starters. Don't wait for management or anyone else show your career path. If you go to work there, take time to learn how the company operates, really before starting out on your own career path. The extent to which you succeed will be largely based on your ability to see a need and fill it, while doing what is expected of you. The company is large, geographically dispersed and it's regions are led by very different people. In many ways, your success will depend on your location and the division. Definitely not a place to be nurtured.

ConsOverall, the cons of this organization really depend on your division and your location. Being the right gender doesn't hurt either. The biggest con is the lack of management accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your bubble and start finding out what's really going on in some areas of the company, significant areas. Every once in a while acknowledge the flaws and what the company is doing to address them. No companies perfect, and trying to pretend that you are only makes the employees skeptical about what they're being told.

Awesome company to work for!

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

ProsGreat corporate culture and great group of people!

ConsNo cons to speak of.

Gallagher Bassett

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

ProsThe people I manage are wonderful and hard working

ConsSenior management is significantly disconnected from their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the micro management and move to a towards a more balanced work-life environment

Insurance broker

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Proslarge, multinational firm with access to many carriers and programs

ConsGrown through acquisition, but offices run independently, not much collaboration. Disparate, poorly managed, slow to adopt and culturally lacking. People stay due to lack of other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and support personnel who think outside box. Brokers do not know how to pick up phone, search for new business. Will not change until management is removed

Great Company!

Itasca, IL (US)

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company to work for, everyone is helpful and encourages each other to grow.

ConsThere truly are no cons for this company. If you fit in with the culture and you work hard, the opportunities at Gallagher are limitless.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone!

Medical only adjuster

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood hours, average pay and a solid company.

ConsNot much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for people to advance.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good company, just probably in the wrong department

Account Handler (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat office, supportive of personal development, some lovely people work there, and they were the first major insurance firm to employ me / give me a chance.

ConsThe pay is sub standard for the industry - low basic salary, no bonus (which is unusual for insurance), limited benefits for most employees, and we even had to pay for our own Christmas party, etc.

The culture looks great on paper but feels a bit false and it sometimes feels as though we're forgotten about by the American senior management team / the very top.

Unfortunately feels as if we have no power whatsoever even at a departmental level, let alone on any kind of grander scale. Consequently there is a disconnect that exists even between the top of the department and the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that employee's pay matches the salaries paid out by the big 3 brokerage firms, otherwise you will just end up losing your talent to them. It matters even at the lower rungs too because, in my department, when people have left it has become much harder to retain clients and that ultimately effects the top line .i.e. Value staff more and realise to be the best you have to pay salaries to match that level of performance.

Give the option for private medical cover to be available to everyone as a benefit if they want it regardless of how long they've been in the company / regardless of the "level system"

Don't force information onto us unless it is relevant to us, otherwise it creates a feeling that we've been forgotten.

High stress, Horrible Management

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

ProsThere isn't a single pro I can think of here except maybe the experience I gained to find a new job.

ConsManagement plays favorites, there are cliques not teams, the pay sucks the work atmosphere is crap. Training is horrid and even if you are told "don't be afraid to ask questions" you may as well just not bother asking as after you are told once what to do you ought to know by now exactly what to do.

Growing too fast not enough resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent work experience, reasonable salaries and benefits

ConsThe company is growing fast in the EMEA region not enough resources are allocated to accommodate the extra work. The senior executive seems to be more responsive than proactive, no planning ahead. Poor care to staff, prepare to work long hours with not recognition. Bonuses are paid based on friendship rather than performance. Talent staff leave the organisation due to lack of structure and poor systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacilitate an organisational environment where employees feel valued, engage in dialogue with employees, use a mix of non-financial incentives to enhance employee motivation and organisational effectiveness. Organise a group Christmas party where employees can have the opportunity to know each other.
The company is in massive need of new technology, invest and build the nest for the future acquisitions.

Worst company I ever worked for. Internal audit head reviewed emails just because their findings were questioned.

Financial Controls Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a growing company as they are constantly acquiring small insurance agencies.

ConsCorporate management is more interested in form over substance.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your books. Sometimes it is easier to write-off balances and save money in the long run instead of spending time and effort researching historical items.

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Videos

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. – Why Work for Us?

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. began as a one-man agency in 1927 and has grown to become one of the world's largest insurance brokerage and risk management services firms with more than 12,500 employees globally… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.. All 150 reviews are posted anonymously by Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. employees.