AroundCampus

Updated 4 March, 2015
3.4

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive but under-supported in the position

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador

I worked at AroundCampus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work independently, gain presentation experience, quick interview process, ability to work for a variety of businesses,

Cons

limited training, little assistance throughout the promotional process, almost an entirely independent operation (ability to work with another ambassador on your campus)

more contact with recruiters, more guidance during on-campus recruitment

Sales Team Leader for the UNC Chapel Hill Outside Sales Team

Former Intern - Outside Sales Team Leaser in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Team Leaser in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

From the Assistant Regional Managers to the President and Owner, every employee of that company openly acknowledged their respect for each individual member, focusing on the success of the team and unity of the company. In addition to the extremely humble and admirable environment of the office and each staff member, The Around Campus Group invested an immense quantity of time, effort, and compensation for the most informative and helpful training session, sales process, and was by my side every step of the way. This organization has a very effective sales process that focuses first on building a strong, trustworthy relationship with each and every business owner, all the while improving each interns' ability to perfect their own flavor for the final step of the process, closing the sale. Side note referring to management of company: The owner of the company, Mr. Jim Heavner, has never had a problem connecting and motivating his college student interns. I personally saw Mr. Heavner give one of the most uplifting, inspiring, and surprisingly hilarious (to many of the young audience) speech to begin our training for the summer internship.

Cons

I had very nothing negative experiences with my internship with The Around Campus Group. Although, as the news as pointed out recently, the company is having to file for bankruptcy, it not only upsets me to see such an influential program begin to fall, but more importantly, it is a shame that Mr. Jim Heavner, an iconic local legend to those who know anything about one of his 40+ LLC's that he built through his extremely successful and honorable career. Mr. Heavner, a former employer of my father, my sister, and even myself, has been stuck in a very unfortunate situation recently and I wish only the best, for someone who deserves it more than anyone I know. A true Tar Heel, a prominent businessman/entrepreneur, and a true mentor to every single one of his employees, friends, and anyone who has the opportunity catch a few minutes with his impeccable Carolina Blue Official Jullian's Blazer.

The only advice I might give to the company would be to increase the level of accountability of the outside sales interns. I understand the magnitude of such a challenge, however, I found this to be a problem as a few of my team members clearly put in less effort than others.

Extremely beneficial for my future.

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Week long training, consistent management and coaching, young culture, paid. All recruiters talk about when I attend Career Fairs etc is my experience with The AroundCampus Group. 18 or so companies in their Career Partner Network.

Cons

It's hard work, don't expect to put in 50% and excel at this internship. You will be faced with challenges but the students that work hard and overcome those challenges (because it is possible) will benefit greatly from this program.

Keep up the consistent coaching. I still keep in touch with my manager who has become more of a mentor for me!

Intern

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Urbana, IL (US)
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Urbana, IL (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

No experience requirement. Good for sohomores.

Cons

Can't lead to a full time hiring

Awesome Internship experience!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

You will be as successful as you want to be.

Cons

Very tiring and mentally exhausting at times.

Larger sales teams for larger cities!

It was a great sales internship. Really taught me a lot about myself and allowed me to work on my business skills.

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

They have a great training program where they help you every step of the way.

Cons

The first day can be hectic and stressful. You are luck if you get the regional manager to assist on the first day.

Give the interns the sales script to learn before training.

Hardest, most rewarding job I have had

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus (less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities waiting for me when I graduate
    Experience in cold calling, sales process and B2B relations that put you ahead of other students
    Realistic to starting jobs in sales

Cons

Tough to work in a weak market
    When your team is successful, you won't be seeing regional managers much

It was just OK

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Our territory manager was great, but she's no longer with the company

Cons

I hated going door to door selling to businesses

Hard Work

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Auburn, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Auburn, AL (US)

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Great experience, great job opportunities, looks good on a resume.

Cons

unrealistic expectations, stressful, underpaid, overworked, overpriced products

Be more helpful