AroundCampus

Updated 11 November, 2014
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 24 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Life Changing Opportunity!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-network with local business in your campus community
    -learn the resposibilities and gain knowledge of operating a local business
    -real world experience that you cannot get anywhere else
    -learn how to become a salesperson and gain marketing skills
    -immense personal growth through this internship, regardless of success
    -strong community and support system built within team work
    -paid internship, guaranteed salary and beyond this is up to you how much you make (based on sales)
    -you can control how much time (i.e. success) you want to put into the summer

Cons

-challenging and demanding at times
    -emotional highs and lows of the sales process
    -requires strong organization skills, strategy, persistence, and personability
    -sales is not always a natural process for all, can be much harder for others

Incredible Internship Opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Slippery Rock, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Slippery Rock, PA (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot from training
    Great job experience
    Received a lot of help/encouragment from management
    Looks great on a resume

Cons

Internship, not a lot of pay
    Sometimes its a tough sell and you need to stay motivated

Keep up the great work

Summer Intern Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The training program is a five day extensive sales academy that prepares you as best it can for the business to business cold calls you will be preforming on a day to day basis all summer. The training and then implementing it helped me grow personally and professionally.

Cons

The AroundCampus Product could use some work. I didn't believe in the product I was selling.

Find a way to improve the product, so that the companies using it actually see results.

Best experience you can get while in college

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The training you are put through. They fly you out to UNC Chapel Hill for a week long sales training conference. You meet people from all over the country and network a ton. Their connections to outside companies as well is perfect for after graduation

Cons

The content you sell is rarely used, so as far as morality goes, it is hard to tell someone to spend $1000 with you.

If you work hard, it really pays off

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-You learn a lot about sales and if you want to do it.
    -You get to work with peers who do the same job all over the country.
    -Management is always willing to help.
    -The envirnment is fun, you go to a week long training in North Carolina and it's all paid for...great food.
    -If you do good, and show that you tried, you will 100% get recruited from large companies all over the U.S. after you graduate.
    -If you work hard and can keep going after hearing no 100 times you will be succesfull. The only reason interns didn't do good was because they would give up and only make about 5-10 sales calls in the end because the job is draining.
    -Management is young and fun. All of the regional supervisors (they overlook all the interns) have done the internship before so they can all relate to some point.
    -After my internship I got recruited by 3 major companies and they all offer a very high salary and promising movement within the company.

Cons

-You work a lot, and dont get payed that much. $200/week.
    -You drive around a lot and don't get compensated for mileage.
    -Most business owners do not see the value in the product. (in my market) I made around 30+ cold calls a day and I would say that 90% of them resulted in rejection.
    -They set weekly/summer goals that seem impossible at some schools.
    -I kepy in contact with a lot of interns and they didn't like the intership, some really did though. The ones who worked hard made a lot of money because once you hit a certain dollar amount you do receive commission.
    -You get a list of renewal sales, businesses that payed for advertising the year before, and they are hit or miss. I didn't renew one coupon the whole summer becuase the business owners never saw one come through the door.

-You might need to tweek your product in some markets. Most of this businesses had already done the advertising and said it didn't work.
    -I asked probably 20 of my friends if they ever used or heard of the directory/planner and no one knew what I was talking about.

Internship ONLY for sales people

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Yeah, if you are a sales person, this is the perfect internship for you. They treat their interns very well. They will pay all expenses during internship training.

Cons

They say this internship help all majors. It's a big lie. If you are marking or PR, run. Companies will start contacting you only for sales. They will ignore the rest of your experience in your resume.

Challenging Internship

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great Experience, Very hard summer internship. You have to be motivated to be in this internship or you get nothing from it. The people you meet are amazing!

Cons

Internship- the pay isn't good unless you are selling a lot more than expected of you.
    In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known.

There needs to be more AroundCampus Reps in the schools during the year to fire up the App to make selling over the summer more successful

Good first internship, lots of hardwork

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Not micromanaged, lots of freedom, improve confidence, expand network

Cons

Under paid, long hours, business owners were generally disinterested

"Only take this internship if you don't have any other paid internship options"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Training
    - You get trained at UNC-Chapel Hill for a whole week. They teach some valuable info. about sales. There are hundreds of interns from all across the country that attend. I made a lot of friends from other schools in my region, who I still talk to six months later. The training probably made it worth it to do the internship. The first and last nights of training are basically a big party.

People
    - There were three other interns at my school. We all got along extremely well. By the ended of the summer, we were more of friends than co-workers. We continuously made fun of the underachieving product together.

- If you are going to start your career in sales, you will get some good experience from this. It will give you stories to tell in future interviews.

Cons

Pay
    -The pay is very low. $200 per 40 hours a week, you do the math. You can make 15% commission on top of that, but only a selection few will ever hit the type of numbers to start making commission. You also have to pay for your own gas. You can't afford this internship unless your parents give you good financial support. I'm very fortunate to have been lucky enough that. Overall, the pay is better than Campus Special though.

Product (Where do I start?)
    Usage:
    - Students don't use, or know about the mobile app. Also, they don't use the coupons in the planner. I talked to plenty of past customers. EVERY person who had a coupon/ coupons in the planner in the past had single digit redemption. ACG teaches you to counter these rejections by telling them to make a coupon with a better deal. How do I tell them this when their coupon was giving away free stuff? Overall, this is just in my college town (20,000 students. Other markets that depend on college students for business could be different).
    Distribution: At least at my school, the student organization that distributes the product doesn't even pass out all of the planners. I still see them laid out in the College of Business, untouched months later.
    Mobile App:
    - I showed all these local business owners this newly updated mobile app coming out this school year. Today, it's almost November and it's still not out.
    Perception: Any established business owner already knows the company and hates the product. Almost every sale my co-workers and I had was to a new business, who hadn't heard of the product before. They also give you accounts from the year before that inside sales couldn't resign. Yeah, those don't really go too well.
    Prices:
    The prices of an ad are outrageous. In my market, a quarter page ad in the consumer guide was $1,000. What kind of college student uses a consumer guide? You're obviously just going to google it.

Management
    - Management will lie to customers to make a sale. Also, the office in NC is extremely unorganized. They don't really know what they're doing. I'm not going to get specific with that.

- You really need to make an effort to gain exposure to the product. At least in my market, no one knows about it or uses it.
    -I felt like I ripped off any business owner I sold to. 99% of them will not benefit from buying the product.
    - Hurry up and update the mobile app. It's sad that it was a main selling point over the summer and it's not even updated yet.
    - If you paid interns more, they might be more motivated. When interns find all of the new customers for the company, you should compensate them for that.
    - The ACG needs to make some serious changes if they want to be successful. Campus Special already had a higher market share in my territory at least. Now that Chegg bought them and will re-brand them as "Chegg Campus Deals", the ACG will probably lose more of their market share.
    - Most of these crazy good reviews on Glassdoor are definitely written by the company
    - Johnny O is the man though.

Great Internship Opportunity

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, great learning opportunity, and a great atmosphere makes this a top place for someone who is interested in getting into sales and needs some experience.

Cons

Some of the tasks can be a little mundane sometimes. However, you are essentially helping out the bigger executives to make money so whatever you do is really important to the company.