Argosy University

Updated 11 December, 2014
Updated 11 December, 2014
2.5

Craig Swenson

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits as compared to other schools (in 3 reviews)

• Great people and everyone is always helpful (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Awful payroll practices at the campus level - borderline incompetent (in 4 reviews)

• Constant change of policy and procedure (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Tech Support

I worked at Argosy University

Pros

Great Company to Work for

Cons

not enough working hours. They cut the budget in the IT department forcing us to shorten our hours

Argosy

I have been working at Argosy University

Pros

Good place to work but low pay

Cons

Not stable company but good place to work

Expect the unexpected!@#$%^&*(

I worked at Argosy University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They pay competitive salaries.

The employees are multi-cultural.

Cons

I come to work one day and my supervisor called me to his office and said that EDMC is doing a reorganization/downsizing of our department.

EDMC is thus eliminating some postions.

Unfortunately, my position is one of them.

So, in short, I was out of a job!!!

Value your most valuable assets - your people!!!

Adjunct Faculty - no benefits

I worked at Argosy University

Pros

Nice facility, good location. Great cafeteria.

Cons

The other adjuncts at EDMC were wonderful, professional, and passionate instructors who gave more than the max allowed hours on payroll. The director does not fight for the adjunct faculty and lets talent slip through the cracks. Most leave within a year or two. Full-time faculty very demeaning and unwilling to associate with adjuncts. Students aware of how things are run, but feel that they have already started and should just press on through to get the degree.

Look for talent and do the best you can to keep it. Listen to adjunct faculty-they are in the real world, not holed-up in academia. How about an pay increase and/or a discount on classes? If you read your exit interviews, I know that the full-time faculty feel the same. Unless they have tenure-then they will not rock their high paying boat.

Coworkers are Great

I worked at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Location is beautiful and fellow employees are great

Cons

High stress level, pressued sales, Unrealistic goals.

Give better service to students

Can't Summit a Mountain with Hands Tied (or: Hard to Soar with the Eagles Surrounded by Turkeys)

Former Employee - Faculty
    Former Employee - Faculty

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Passionate faculty; intelligent and teachable students; supportive of private practice; professional classrooms, excellent fringe benefits, dedicated chair-level and department-level leadership

Cons

inadequate (absent) administrative support; revolving door of campus-level leadership; inexperienced student services; inconsistent admissions support; double-messages from management concerning tensions between meeting anticipated expectations of accreditation bodies and expectations about enrollment and student performance; inability to align corporate (EDMC) goals, university (Argosy) goals, and local campus goals... always felt like the "folks at the top" either did not understand or did not care.

The company frequently describes itself as "among the largest providers of private post-secondary education in North America ... with a total of 110 locations in 32 U.S. states and Canada." Moreover they add "Our educational institutions offer students the opportunity to earn undergraduate and graduate degrees and certain specialized non-degree diplomas in a broad range of disciplines, including design, media arts, health sciences, psychology and behavioral sciences, culinary, fashion, business, education, legal and information technology." My sense over my tenure at Argosy was that EDMC was too big.... as a jack of all trades, they are masters of none.

1) Get out of the way... decision makers were isolated from the results of their decisions. Schools granting degrees leading to state-specific licensed-based career paths do not benefit from top-down "vision" and "mission" management... there are too many differences to have a "one size fits all" corporate culture.

2) Read Collins' "Good to Great" If not the whole book at least read chapter 5 and find the company "hedgehog."

3) Face the diseconomy of scale head on. While i am not an economist by any stretch, EDMC is facing a backlash on the back end of the benefits from an economy of scale gained as the company grew. As EDMC became larger it was more efficient and as long as students continued to enroll, it appeared poised to continue to grow. Nevertheless, as it grew it became increasingly costly to keep control of a its widespread corporate footprint and resulted in a bureaucracy as the top executives implemented more and more levels of management (administration). This required more students. As the executives introduced standards and controls in order to maintain enrollment this necessitated the hiring of more administrators to apply these standards and controls, and EDMC became too "top-heavy". Plummeting enrollment is not the cause of the current crisis. Students are a limited resource like trees are a limited resource. A lumber company can only harvest as many tress as regrowth makes sustainable. When EDMC had trouble finding more trees things became untenable.

Typically, solutions to such top heavy companies is making it smaller. This can happen proactively, and involve breaking EDMC into one or more of its smaller educational units. if the management was willing, Argosy, South University, Brown Mackie, or the Art Institutes could be spun off as a separate entity. Another option could be for each local campus could be allowed to operate relatively autonomously from the company headquarters, with employee decisions (hiring, firing, promotions, wage scales, etc.) made by local administration, not dictated by EDMC. Facility, office space, design, and even purchasing decisions could also be made independently, with each location allowed to choose its own suppliers. Nevertheless, the desire for a unified market brand seemed to cloud this option. Moreover, even if they had made these difficult decisions, i doubt the changes would have resulted in a substantial reduction in EDMC leadership and headquarters staff.

Unfortunately, with EDMC stock price plummeting to less than $1.00 today (it closed at $0.86), I think EDMC will downsize by default (pun intended) when a bankruptcy court will sell off the profitable components to pay creditors and shut down the rest.

So-So

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays Well & Offer Tuition Reimbursement to continue education

Cons

Not consistent, Management especially Atlanta campus is awful, work TOO many Saturdays

Stop being Fake-NO WORK LIFE BALANCE at all

Successful from my own ability, not employer support.

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Students were the wonderful part about the job!

Cons

Cliques, unexperienced managers who are threatened by your knowledge or success.

Treat people as you'd like to be treated and just because you might have been a decent rep doesn't mean you're qualified to manage!

Fun and fulfilling

Current Employee - Student Worker in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment. Many opportunities to learn and grow if you want to work in the for profit education system. Very flexible schedule and excellent co workers as well as company culture.

Cons

Having a hard time thinking of any other than the commute.

Students were nice.

Former Employee - Student Services in Honolulu, HI (US)
    Former Employee - Student Services in Honolulu, HI (US)

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was enjoyable to be around the students.

Cons

Credibility in the industry. Cost was steep.