ArcelorMittal USA

ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

Updated Mar 08, 2014

ArcelorMittal USA President and CEO Mike Rippey

Mike Rippey

Pros:
  • "The steel industry has a great history in America and workers are proud of what they do"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great benefits, good pay, good learning opportunity"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little to no opportunity for career advancement for non-Operations, non-engineering support staff"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Management is very bad, big turnover rate, Poor experience"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Foreman at Mont-Wright, Fermont Canada

Foreman At Mont-Wright, Fermont Canada (Current Employee)
Fermont, QC

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJust the Salary. Nothing at all

ConsManagement is very bad, big turnover rate, Poor experience

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't do worse

Maintenance Planner

Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood Pay, great benefits, opportunity

Consscheduling conflicts with departments, difficult to get items purchased without going through a lot of hoops due to corporate purchasing philosiphy

Good first job

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time

Pros-Experience with large scale operations
-Pretty good benefits and bonus structure
-Many nice people at this company
-Work life balance is pretty great for the entry level employees, working on the weekends is almost non-existent if you can stay on task during the work week
-Ability to quickly take on responsibilities
-Many opportunities to develop a career

Cons-IT systems are dated and make it challenging to do in depth analysis
-Resistant to change
-Limited vacation time
-No long term vision
-Not very challenging for an average college graduate
-Disconnected from upper management
-Pay is pretty good for a first job but you'll quickly be doing things that deserve higher compensation without receiving the monetary recognition

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about what you want to accomplish within the next five years. Not everything is about saving money on unit costs. Making improvements to systems and procedures could pay dividends long term.

It'll do for now, but not staying long!

Maintenance (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time

ProsGreat health insurance( for now anyways). Seemingly steady work for now, but mills shut down all the time so who knows. Paid holidays.

ConsLazy co-workers with zero pride in their work. ZERO room for advancement. Low pay rate for experience needed to become a maintenance person here. To make a comfortable living in this area, you must work 60+ hrs/wk. No sick days.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure a way to get rid of the dead weight.

not that great

Intern (Former Employee)
Middletown, PA (US)

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA part-time for less than a year

Prosinteresting things to see on how some of the products are made. Better to see things in real life.

Consno direction / training. Everybody was too busy with their own work. Leader showed no leadership

A company that succeeds due to it's shear size.

Manager (Current Employee)
Burns Harbor, IN (US)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, good pay, good learning opportunity. Some very good people to work with at ground level and middle management level. Fascinating place to work, huge diversity in equipment and technology.

ConsLeadership in USA division is horrible. They are egotistical, condescending to lower level employees, create miss-trust, don't inspire at all. The pay and benefits offset most of this, but as economy picks up, turnover rate is going to be higher than it already is, as opportunities open up. Union's can still be stuck in 70's mindset at times, and cause many unneeded cost to business, which is why the old northern union plants continue to downsize / shut down.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately, you have to first be willing to listen and look in the mirror to make change. Many of the Sr. Managers are stuck in their ways of doing business as it was done in 70's / 80's, and believe they are always right. As the USA division is still being run by "good old boys club" former Inland and US Steel employees (and some Bethlehem), there can be no true change until change is made a the highest level.

Revolving Door

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Hammond, IN (US)

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Job is super easy. Most analysts study during work hours. Great 401k matching and health benefits. Lots of people leave so you can move up rather quickly if you don't mind being bored out of your mind. Zero after work hours, strict 8 hour day.

ConsTerribly boring if you're someone who actually wants to work and gain experience. Location sucks and they don't allow remote working. Average pay. Old school good ol boy attitude that rewards people for seniority rather than performance and they just keep breeding more mediocrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to driven younger employees or you'll keep driving them out.

Great engineers, terrible plant management

Operations Technology Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge, global company with great resources
Dynamic work environment
Great technical engineers at 80HSM Indiana Harbor East
You can do anything you want and work on any problem you want. No one cares.

ConsSenior plant management is not well educated
Promotions are based more on who you know rather than performance reviews
Subjective ratings rather than objective ratings
Try to make friends if you want to get ahead. Being a valuable contributor is not important

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do what is best for the company rather than what is best for your career.

You will work 50 different schedules to compensate for the inefficient production, so you have no life.

Operating Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is fair and there is some incentive, although that too is not done the right way always either. Company paid medical, but the network not that good in my opinion

ConsThey will not be honest with you about safety and other critical issues about the job. They don't care about you.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your people skills, since that is a major part of being a manager.

Good experience, hands on work, little room for advancement.

Associate Engineer - Mechanical (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHands on problem solving, good pay, freedom to go about solutions how you like, good people, managers are not involved unless they need to be (no micromanaging). People that have been there for a long time are very knowledgeable about their areas.

ConsNo room for movement. There were only two higher positions above me before the plant manager. They try to say that there is a lot of room for growth, but I don't see it unless you switch between many plants. Union is somewhat difficult to deal with at times. Bonus program is VERY hit or miss (sometimes it barely hits triple digits, sometimes it's almost 1k). A lot of old timers there that can be stubborn, and the pay/vacation time is very old to be able to get more. Getting called in the middle of the night and working the occasion 30 hour day gets old.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore direction for younger workers.

Worked for ArcelorMittal USA? Contribute to the Community!

ArcelorMittal USA Videos

ArcelorMittal USA – Why Work for Us?

ArcelorMittal is the world’s leading integrated steel and mining company. With more than 260,000 employees in 60 countries, we are the leading supplier of quality steel products in all major markets including… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ArcelorMittal USA reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for ArcelorMittal USA CEO Mike Rippey. All 71 reviews are posted anonymously by ArcelorMittal USA employees.