Applied Information Sciences

Updated 24 February, 2015
Updated 24 February, 2015
3.1

Fred Elleman

Technology driven company with solid staff. Very happy here.

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. Most positions offer good flexibility. Overall good leadership that take an interest in people that perform well and excel. Company is full of very competent technologists, particularly in the Microsoft stack.

Cons

At times transparency can be lacking. However, it is better than other places I have worked.

Continue to invest in top performing members of the company. They will be your biggest advocates moving forward.

Feb 24, 2015Director

Thank you so much for your feedback. We greatly appreciate everyone's continued hard work in delivering for our clients and contributing to the culture of AIS. Please speak up if there is something ... More

Very Satisfied Working at AIS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart and capable co-workers, good benefits, excellent opportunities for motivated self-starters. Managers are accessible and the structure is flat. Company is dedicated to exploring and developing expertise in the latest technologies, including cloud solutions in Azure. AIS does not hire just to staff projects, but is looking for people to grow with the company.

Cons

Some project assignments aren't terribly exciting but generally you can get reassigned if you ask. Experiencing some growing pains and there does not seem to be a clear vision for developing new managers to sustain growth.

Feb 11, 2015Director

Thank you very much for providing your review. As a company we are very interested in seeing people grow in a manner that is both individually rewarding and financially beneficial and as a result ... More

good company if you are not serious about career

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Applied Information Sciences

Pros

good salary
    Work from home option
    Good location
    Relaxed Life
    Managers are technically good
    Lunch
    Parties in good hotels

Cons

1. Lack of technical growth
    2. Lack of processes ..Lack of Vision
    3.Middle management lacks interest but the Director wants to micromanage
    4.More of body shopping kind of firm. Company doesn't care which/what/how of the project. They just want to check that the client is happy. You may be asked "which project are you working on?" in the appraisal. So a guy who has no clue about your project name or details will be doing your appraisal. So the middle level doesn't have any interest in what you are doing but the Company director wants to keep tab on irrelevant details.
    5. No one cares how well you work or not, perform or not. What matters is you deliver code, attend calls religiously and client is not complaining about you.
    6. People are hired and fired. They have no backup plan. People join and get to know within weeks that they are being fired since company lost a client. This has happened multiple times.
    7.Not even close to the picture painted in front of you by management during interviews. They will impress you with their interviewing skills and give you lot of :
             we work on latest technologies
             we have microsoft guys
             we are microsoft gold partners

So if you are working father/mother who wants to bring home decent salary while keeping your kids happy by giving them time and money and are fine with career loss, you can very well go for this company.

Do not boast about something that you are not..Accept that you are into body shopping..

Feb 17, 2015Director

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. While unfortunate your experience was not the greatest, we will review as a team and address any gaps to make AIS the best environment for our ... More

Five stars

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences

Pros

Great benefits, really smart coworkers, flat management structure, the ability to excel is there for those who show talent and dedication

Cons

AIS is a Consulting company - occasionally get stuck on a non ideal project, however, the company will consider alternatives for those with commute challenges, or other difficult circumstances

Jan 06, 2015Director

Thank you very much for your review! We are working hard to make changes as we can when we receive constructive feedback. We are grateful for everyone's dedication and commitment to our clients and ... More

Good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance,good salary. Get to work with some good architects

Cons

If project is completed, you may land up losing your job.

Nothing in particular

Nov 11, 2014Director

Appreciate your feedback & your contributions to deliver successful projects. We continue to look to address changing trends in the Industry & associated challenges/opportunities. With the quality ... More

Like a family company

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Hyderābād (India)

Pros

Flexibility of work
    Work hard - get appreciated
    Directly reach to any level if any issues

Cons

No employee events
    No employee events

Need more employee events

Oct 10, 2014HR Analyst

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are happy that you enjoy working at AIS and treating it as a Family. We consider your suggestion and plan for more events, get to gather's to make it a ... More

Your experience at AIS is entirely determined by your assigned client

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by very smart developers which pushes you to excel. Great environment for developer to grow across multiple facets of what it means to be a developer (i.e. not just coding). Casual atmosphere, some flexibility is there for working from home. Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

What project you get staffed on determines *everything* (and once you are assigned it is nearly impossible to be reassigned). People who enjoy working at AIS have been staffed to work on greenfield development projects with all the fun new shiny tech. *However* the vast majority of consultants do not have that luxury and this is the main reason why there has been so much turnover (esp. those assigned to a certain unnamed insurance company).

Also, can't stress this enough; the most technically sound/experienced developer will not necessarily translate to being a good team lead/manager role. I once worked on a team where the team lead was not just tolerated, but absolutely despised for his demeaning way of dealing with other developers. Multiple complaints from other developers in his team but nothing came of it. The reverse is not true however; if a manager has even single complaint you could be kicked off a client (or fired) without any warning. So despite the "flat structure" there is some lip service given toward this end.

One final thing: too many timesheets. At one point I had to give four status report/timesheets every week. This doesn't need to be Office Space guys...

This will probably never happen because the profit motive seems to be the overriding factor...but in the crazy chance that someone reads this, contemplate the following:

1) Diversify client base. Don't just say this, do this! And yes, certain insurance companies give you a better profit margin, but at what cost? Losing your best talent almost as quickly as you hire them? I've seen this happen too many times.

2) Some managers should not be managers no matter how awesome they are as developers. This will probably never change since demotions are politically incorrect these days.

3) Excessive number of meetings (esp. for dev. leads)...might want to cut back on that to get better ROI on these guys.

Sep 24, 2014Director

Thanks for providing this feedback. As you know, from being a former employee of a consulting company, our business is based on serving our client’s existing needs while simultaneously evaluating ... More

Join only if aspirations and reality match. Otherwise it adds another company to profile.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If someone is looking for a long term relationship should make sure that his requirements and what company provides are matching.

1. Initially good package will be offered and will be treated very well so that one feels happy with the company.

2. There are many official parties thrown out in 5 star hotels which will surprise even an employee who worked earlier with a big MNC.

3. No strict enforcement of dress code.

4. There is a general flexibility of working hours.

5. Free lunch in afternoon.

Cons

1. There are no written Rules and Regulations. Hike, bonus, everything including survival in the company is at the mercy of the management. It may work in one's favor but there is a constant threat to the existence because of autocratic and Feudalistic policies.

2. The company is depending on only few clients.

3. Growth for an employee means increase in salary, learning new technology. There is no place for vertical improvement because of flat hierarchy.

4. The HR should be professional. It is not just salaries, benefits, gifts which will make an employee stay in the organization. There should be a sense of bonding between employee and the company even during difficult times.

1. The company should be good with people who are planning to leave the company for greener pastures. It should not be treated like an end of the relationship but as an opportunity to promote the company with help of its alumni. It will help establish a good network which may help the company in getting better human resources, probable clients, industry recognition.

2. The recruitment strategy is very short sighted. The company is interested in recruiting plug and play resources. The company should plan to recruit 5 to 10 freshers every year who are provided adequate training and given some time to prove themselves. This is should be done for at least 5 years so that there is diversified demography.

3. The attrition rate of the company is almost 50%. After completion of every year there will be half the population who have joined previous year, while those 50% who left have either resigned or fired. The company should treat employee as a human being who have many responsibilities including that of his profession. The company should be sensitive towards the aspirations and emotions of employee. The trust deficit between employees and the organization should be minimized.

Oct 13, 2014Director

Thanks for providing this feedback. Our business depends on various conflicting factors some in our control and some not. The pace of innovation is necessarily influenced by many factors…. The ... More

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vercy good work and culture

Cons

I don't find any

Applied Information Sciences Photos