Applied Information Sciences Reviews

3.3
Fred Elleman

1. Good place to learn..

I worked at Applied Information Sciences

Pros

Good place to learn technologies

Cons

does not have enough projects in hand to accommodate resources

2. Top Reasons to Work at AIS

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA (US)

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The number one thing I like best about working at AIS is knowing that I am a valued member of the team.

From day one my knowledge and skills were recognized and put to immediate use.

The enthusiasm shown by the AIS recruiting team during my interview and subsequent hiring was an important factor in choosing to work at AIS.

The honesty and integrity of the Leadership demonstrated during my interview/hiring process is the reason I came to work for AIS.

Cons

If you want to work 9-5 and just collect a paycheck, do not work here
    If you need to be micromanaged, do not work here
    If you are done learning and growing professionally, do not work here

Advice to Management

Continue to set Vision, Goals & Objectives
    Continue to provide opportunities
    Continue to encourage creativity and innovation

Mar 10, 2015Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are continuing to seek ways to provide opportunities for our employees and to innovate. Effective execution of this involves high engagement of our ... More

3. "Was" an excellent place to work.

Former Employee - Developer in Reston, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Developer in Reston, VA (US)

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent staff. Good Practices. Excellent pay and benefits. New Technology. I had a great time. Contributed greatly to the company, and the company treated me well as long as there was a project. I was lucky enough to be put on a good project (at first).

Cons

Everyone knew work became scarce. I usually received around a 5/5 star review, when AIS lost their biggest client and work dried up, I was no longer treated well, was pushed and shuffled around, denied a raise and had a tough time claiming a well deserved bonus. I received a fabricated 1/5 review, and was terminated.

Advice to Management

Don't burn bridges. I would have given a 4 or 5 star. But then, why burn bridges?

Mar 27, 2015Director

Thanks for your feedback. As a former employee, you can certainly understand the nuances of resource management, providing opportunity and growing by winning new work. This is always difficult, but ... More

Technology driven company with solid staff. Very happy here.

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. Most positions offer good flexibility. Overall good leadership that take an interest in people that perform well and excel. Company is full of very competent technologists, particularly in the Microsoft stack.

Cons

At times transparency can be lacking. However, it is better than other places I have worked.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in top performing members of the company. They will be your biggest advocates moving forward.

Feb 24, 2015Director

Thank you so much for your feedback. We greatly appreciate everyone's continued hard work in delivering for our clients and contributing to the culture of AIS. Please speak up if there is something ... More

6. Very Satisfied Working at AIS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart and capable co-workers, good benefits, excellent opportunities for motivated self-starters. Managers are accessible and the structure is flat. Company is dedicated to exploring and developing expertise in the latest technologies, including cloud solutions in Azure. AIS does not hire just to staff projects, but is looking for people to grow with the company.

Cons

Some project assignments aren't terribly exciting but generally you can get reassigned if you ask. Experiencing some growing pains and there does not seem to be a clear vision for developing new managers to sustain growth.

Feb 11, 2015Director

Thank you very much for providing your review. As a company we are very interested in seeing people grow in a manner that is both individually rewarding and financially beneficial and as a result ... More

good company if you are not serious about career

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Applied Information Sciences

Pros

good salary
    Work from home option
    Good location
    Relaxed Life
    Managers are technically good
    Lunch
    Parties in good hotels

Cons

1. Lack of technical growth
    2. Lack of processes ..Lack of Vision
    3.Middle management lacks interest but the Director wants to micromanage
    4.More of body shopping kind of firm. Company doesn't care which/what/how of the project. They just want to check that the client is happy. You may be asked "which project are you working on?" in the appraisal. So a guy who has no clue about your project name or details will be doing your appraisal. So the middle level doesn't have any interest in what you are doing but the Company director wants to keep tab on irrelevant details.
    5. No one cares how well you work or not, perform or not. What matters is you deliver code, attend calls religiously and client is not complaining about you.
    6. People are hired and fired. They have no backup plan. People join and get to know within weeks that they are being fired since company lost a client. This has happened multiple times.
    7.Not even close to the picture painted in front of you by management during interviews. They will impress you with their interviewing skills and give you lot of :
             we work on latest technologies
             we have microsoft guys
             we are microsoft gold partners

So if you are working father/mother who wants to bring home decent salary while keeping your kids happy by giving them time and money and are fine with career loss, you can very well go for this company.

Advice to Management

Do not boast about something that you are not..Accept that you are into body shopping..

Feb 17, 2015Director

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. While unfortunate your experience was not the greatest, we will review as a team and address any gaps to make AIS the best environment for our ... More

Five stars

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences

Pros

Great benefits, really smart coworkers, flat management structure, the ability to excel is there for those who show talent and dedication

Cons

AIS is a Consulting company - occasionally get stuck on a non ideal project, however, the company will consider alternatives for those with commute challenges, or other difficult circumstances

Jan 06, 2015Director

Thank you very much for your review! We are working hard to make changes as we can when we receive constructive feedback. We are grateful for everyone's dedication and commitment to our clients and ... More

Good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)

Pros

Work life balance,good salary. Get to work with some good architects

Cons

If project is completed, you may land up losing your job.

Advice to Management

Nothing in particular

Nov 11, 2014Director

Appreciate your feedback & your contributions to deliver successful projects. We continue to look to address changing trends in the Industry & associated challenges/opportunities. With the quality ... More

Your experience at AIS is entirely determined by your assigned client

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by very smart developers which pushes you to excel. Great environment for developer to grow across multiple facets of what it means to be a developer (i.e. not just coding). Casual atmosphere, some flexibility is there for working from home. Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

What project you get staffed on determines *everything* (and once you are assigned it is nearly impossible to be reassigned). People who enjoy working at AIS have been staffed to work on greenfield development projects with all the fun new shiny tech. *However* the vast majority of consultants do not have that luxury and this is the main reason why there has been so much turnover (esp. those assigned to a certain unnamed insurance company).

Also, can't stress this enough; the most technically sound/experienced developer will not necessarily translate to being a good team lead/manager role. I once worked on a team where the team lead was not just tolerated, but absolutely despised for his demeaning way of dealing with other developers. Multiple complaints from other developers in his team but nothing came of it. The reverse is not true however; if a manager has even single complaint you could be kicked off a client (or fired) without any warning. So despite the "flat structure" there is some lip service given toward this end.

One final thing: too many timesheets. At one point I had to give four status report/timesheets every week. This doesn't need to be Office Space guys...

Advice to Management

This will probably never happen because the profit motive seems to be the overriding factor...but in the crazy chance that someone reads this, contemplate the following:

1) Diversify client base. Don't just say this, do this! And yes, certain insurance companies give you a better profit margin, but at what cost? Losing your best talent almost as quickly as you hire them? I've seen this happen too many times.

2) Some managers should not be managers no matter how awesome they are as developers. This will probably never change since demotions are politically incorrect these days.

3) Excessive number of meetings (esp. for dev. leads)...might want to cut back on that to get better ROI on these guys.

Sep 24, 2014Director

Thanks for providing this feedback. As you know, from being a former employee of a consulting company, our business is based on serving our client’s existing needs while simultaneously evaluating ... More

Like a family company

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Hyderābād (India)

Pros

Flexibility of work
    Work hard - get appreciated
    Directly reach to any level if any issues

Cons

No employee events
    No employee events

Advice to Management

Need more employee events

Oct 10, 2014HR Analyst

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are happy that you enjoy working at AIS and treating it as a Family. We consider your suggestion and plan for more events, get to gather's to make it a ... More

Applied Information Sciences Photos