Apple Reviews

3,790 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,060 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 238 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 204 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 233 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 143 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very fast paced work environment with a huge emphasis on results.

Cons

Difficult to move around in the company.

Cautiously Wonderful

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You'll meet fantastic people with creative energy and fair compensation.

Cons

Learn to pat yourself on back as Leaders will often overlook your good work.

Learn to appreciate every employees hard work, and not just the ones who propel you towards a bonus. We didn't come here for that. We came for a different experience. Challenge. Be unique and innovate with the rest of the company.

Hard and challenging but rewarding.

I worked at Apple

Pros

Lots of new things to learn.

Cons

Work you to the bone

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sainte-Catherine

Current Employee - Business Specialist  in  Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Business Specialist in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits and above average pay scale.
    great place to meet people and feel part of a team.

Cons

internal growth is extremely difficult even though development is an importance aspect of the culture.

A great experience that you will carry with you for the rest of our life.

Current Employee - Apple Genius  in  Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Apple Genius in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If your good at your job, your not micro managed. The company is about teamwork and open communication.

Cons

It can be a stressful environment, working closely with demanding customers.

Unique culture & people

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing company to work for as they provide great benefits, training, and compensation. Also provide education reimbursement, which is a huge plus for students who is also working full time

Cons

Growth opportunity is generally limited to the retail division of the company. If you are passionate about retail, then this can be a "pro".

Fulfilling to an extent

Former Employee - Specialist  in  Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Specialist in Calgary, AB

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay well and schedule around school very well. Every day is eventful and they do a good job of picking well-rounded employees. Great employee benefits and discounts.

Cons

It CAN be cult-like and some people are closed minded against non-Apple fanatics. It gets VERY busy and hectic- which can be expected with any retail job- and sometimes it's easy to feel overworked.

Transparency and consistency are key. When one manager says something, I expect that other managers are also on board and follow the same policies. If we're making an exception for one person, it shouldn't become the 2nd rule. An exception is an exception and if there are too many, the rule gets lost.

Can't be sure any two days in a row

Current Employee - Apple Expert
    Current Employee - Apple Expert

I have been working at Apple full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy the freedom and flexibility of the culture at Apple. If there is a problem, peers are encouraged to provide feedback directly, enabling one to have an impact on the inner-workings of their store.

Cons

Personal development is expected, but not as supported as one would hope. There are a lot… a ton of resources but time is not one that is afforded without a fight. Some individuals act as the boss even if they are peers.

Spend more time with your people. Let them know what's next, what steps to take and how to achieve growth. Grumpy or "challenging" employees should have repercussions and not just be allowed to work through their team-affecting issues at their own pace. One bad egg begets many.

Apple has a positive work environment, brilliant people, and amazing team support.

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The corporate culture is amazing, the level of support and connection you develop internally is beyond amazing. I currently have an amazing manager who listens to me and helped me through my growth and career development at Apple.

Cons

some external managers who have been here for less than a year, don't fit the apple culture, and sue old work practices and practice them at Apple.

Training for external hires , specially leadership, have to go through a rigorous type of training for a minimum 1.5 month to be fit for the fast paced growing culture. ! they should all learn the difference between Positive Intent and Fearless Feedback - Act and Treat Employees accordingly, based on their actions and behaviors, not solely based on manager's observation - because that is not a standard of work practice or business ethics.

Senior leaders who are hired externally should be going through an extensive training model that is different from those that are promoted internally.

WHAT'S IT LIKE WORKING AT AN APPLE RETAIL STORE : 2014 EDITION

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* STOCK PLAN + BENEFITS IS GREAT ( PROBABLY THE BEST THING ABOUT BEING EMPLOYED THERE )
    * PAY IS BETTER THAN OTHER RETAIL JOBS OUT THERE
    * PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH ARE ACTUALLY DECENT, KNOWLEDGEABLE & HARDWORKING PEOPLE
    * YOU WILL LEARN ALOT OF TECHNICAL INFORMATION ABOUT COMPUTERS, IPHONES, ETC

Cons

I've been working for Apple Retail for a very long time and everything sure has changed ; NIGHT AND DAY differences from back then.

Since the earlier days, it was all about enriching lives. Taking the time, making sure the customer had all the attention you can give them without being rushed into your next appointment . Nowadays, its all about enriching their pocketbooks and numbers ! Here are the core CONS that you will encounter ; Let me break it down :

• A billion dollar company that LOVES to have short staffing. Apple refuses to put enough people on the sales floor. Ive seen frustrated customers wait impatiently for someone to help them purchase a computer yet THERE'S NO SALES PEOPLE TO HELP and they storm out of the store pissed off instead !! Yup ! There goes that sale ! Way to go APPLE !!!!!

• Everyone wears blue shirts . Its hard to distinguish who the technicians are and who the sales people are . a unified color of the shirt simply means EVERYONE IS EXPECTED TO PRETTY MUCH DO EVERYTHING no matter what position you have. Job Description ? There is NO SUCH A THING IN APPLE RETAIL . ( read on )

* GENIUS BAR / FAMILY ROOM ( aka the technical support area ) is all about NUMBERS. You are put on a queue where you are seen by a technician. You basically have 10-15 minutes with this customer and YOU MUST MOVE ON TO THE NEXT. Most stores require you to have an appointment booked ahead of time, and recently, its become standardized that ALL APPOINTMENTS MUST BE TAKEN. The genius bar is now cleverly crafted with new stations that ' get you started ' . No appointments ? sure just sit down and a technician will take a look and see if they can do the task for you. This basically allows more traffic to come through and more appointments to be taken. ( btw management WE'RE NOT STUPID !!! ) Work has been quadrupled to the point you are running around with your head about to fall off ! This department would work so well but the management will not put enough people to help out throughout the day ! The worst part about being in this department is breaks and lunches are always never taken on time !!!! You will basically end up hating your co workers for taking too long in their interactions or for them to refuse to help out because they are doing computer repairs. It just flat out SUCKS . This is the worst level of stress you will receive in the store . There's not a day I come home from work, not only physically exhausted but MENTALLY abused from all the things you go throughout the day ! l

* THE CREATIVE STUDIO ( aka one to one training ) will test your PATIENCE .

You will teach 70-80 year old customers who just purchased a computer and will end up coming back for repeated sessions for the next couple of weeks because they cant remember their passwords !

If you are extremely patient, well good luck cuz you're going to need it real badly when you're in this role !!!! Id say a good 10% of the sessions you will get are actual decent individuals who can grasp and learn what you teach, the other 90% will just be useless people who are just basically wasting their time ( AND YOURS IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT ) .

* The customers, especially the pissed off ones,can be a handful. Be prepared for an earful. Most are nice but majority are prissy, stuck up people who will EXPECT you to bend over and squeeze them in to have their iphone fixed ahead of everyone else. This would only be alleviated if the company actually put more people on the sales floor/ technical support areas so that the employees wouldn't get stuck in escalations

It is August 2014 and from my point of view ; Apple Retail has changed drastically . its not the same fun place I remember it used to be . If you think im bullshitting ; I've witnessed about 8 people from the genius bar resign over the past few months , and that says alot where the company is heading !

Quality in the service is disappearing, FAST. Its all about Q U A N T I T Y folks !!!!!!!!!

Quantity of how many appointments employees can take + Less Staffing = HUGE BONUSES FOR MANAGERS

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU THINK TWICE ABOUT WORKING FOR APPLE RETAIL ..ESPECIALLY NOWADAYS?

Consider yourself warned.

I'm already looking for a way out . its just a matter of time.

Your employees are not idiots . Limiting the amount of staff per shift may give you guys bonuses/raises/incentives/etc --- but be advised that you will continue to lose more quality workers as this continues to go on.

Soon, I will be one of them .

You have no idea what we go through to make your stupid numbers and queues meet.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!