Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,559 ratings)

3,106 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time"
    in 182 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 177 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 157 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 127 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bittersweet, hard to maintain work life balance

Family Room Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

ProsProduct discounts. Candidates hired tend to be very Smart

ConsLack of employer empathy towards subordinates

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployes need more reasons to stay with be company

Like no other retail

Expert (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

ProsApple retail is very people centred. Employee development is important and feedback from customers and employees is the driving force of change. Apple is revolutionizing retail.

ConsIf you don't enjoy an environment with a very strong culture and values this is not for you then. Expectations are high in terms of performance. Mediocrity is not acceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like the path to management from "entry" positions is inconsistent throughout stores.

Its ok

Mac Genius (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay when you reach top

ConsGlass ceilings the limit. Once you get there... thats it

A reasonable place to work.

Apple Solutions Consultant (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay and culture with solid training resources. Great benefits package, ESPP plan and RRSP matching.

ConsVERY harsh management. Can be a very stressful place to work. Zero sympathy for failure and high expectations of success, even if it's nothing you have direct control over.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive props and kudos where they are deserved. My upper management NEVER reached out after a success. Only when times were tough and sales were down did I hear from management.

Great people, great potential, not so great opportunity and really poor career development.

Genius Administrative (Current Employee)
Quebec, QC

I have been working at Apple part-time for more than 3 years

Pros-People! Most people are great, passionate and really gifted. A great place to meet young talent and have fun.
-Obviously the benefits

ConsOne of the biggest company on earth if not THE one and it never made the top 100 best employers once, neither in the US nor Global. Here's why :

-Work conditions are bad. Imagine for each hundred employee you have a tiny break room, one toilet, one fridge, no place at all and a lot of stress and pressure to perform.
-Working there is like being in a black hole. This company siphons talent, time and energy dry. Then they just let you rot until you quit and they replace you.
-Salary is good compare to other places but it's really not that good when you consider everything you give in and the life quality you lose. Most people are better ending somewhere else and that's why they do. Plus the customer traffic is HUGE so the workload goes accordingly.
-Career opportunities are close to none. You can get a promotion when someone is leaving and yes, a lot of people are leaving every year but this bear questioning why?
-They work with headcounts so once the limit is met, even if the need for more employees is there, even if the metrics proves its there, they will not hire more or give any promotion.
-Not enough staff. The workload is incredibly huge and at first you are motivated to give the best of services but you understand fast enough that they ask for the impossible. They could hire twice the number of employees and still it would be complicated so imagine how hard it is now.
-Work/Life balance is bad. Part time employees will work mostly 4h shifts right in the middle of the day so it completely destroys their schedule, and full time employees will often work 8-9 days in a row including night and weekends and with only one day off in between (they have to organize with others to have 2 days off in a row).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being hypocritical by saying things like : "Our employees are the most important thing for us". If it was true, the cons I mentioned would not exist. Stop being cheap and invest a little more in your employees and their work conditions. You could invest only 1% of the profits and it would make a huge difference (better/bigger break rooms, more lockers, better/bigger bathrooms, some bonuses for motivation, etc). That's what makes it so hard on the employees. You could easily care more but you just don't. And for the love of God, PLEASE HIRE MORE PEOPLE !!! (not 3%, 50% and more) It will be beneficial for the employees but also for the customers. It will help the metrics and the brand. It will certainly brings more people to the brand instead of pushing them away constantly.

Spoiled me!

I have been working at Apple

Pros- Great food
 - Cali weather
 - Focus on customer
 - Engineers everywhere

Cons- Too much cool aid

Two years of being a specialist at Apple Retail

Specialist (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros- You'll be working with a group of great people – a great chance to make meaningful friends and connections.

- You'll meet interesting customers too, and along with this comes good opportunities for networking. It's how I, and a lot of people, got their next job.

- In most stores, when it isn't too busy, it can be laid-back and fun!

- Wages are good for retail, and benefits (in terms of discounts and health insurance) were pretty fantastic.

- You get to work with and learn about amazing, fun new technology. Or at least tell customers about it...

- You're never expected to do anything off-the-clock, including emails. Good work/life balance in this sense.

Cons- Scheduling is usually inflexible, especially a problem if you're part-time. Hours fluctuate between 15 and 40 hours a week for PT throughout the year, and you have no say in this.

- Incredibly sales and attachment driven, vastly more so than Apple will ever publicly say. If you can't hit your targets, management will give you a hard time and in some cases try to push you out.

- Management take the customer service culture very literally. For example, some will almost always side with the customer and not with you as an employee, leading many to feel undervalued and disrespected. Often you have to go with policy and give the customer a hard line, and when they ask to see a manager, they'll do almost whatever the customer wants and make you look like the bad guy. Probably common in retail, but seriously demotivating.

- The whole process of career advancement and development is very opaque and shrouded in mystery. If managers like you and you have good numbers, they'll give you opportunities – if not, you'll have to fight very hard to even hear about them in the first place and even more so to be considered. At my store the vast, vast majority of people never advance or get promoted, and many are trying very hard to.

- Customers at times can be brutal. At Apple you're the front face, up against people who have crazy expectations of what Apple can do for them. Free replacements of broken phones, discounts on purchases, six-month-later returns, free training, you name it – you're always the one who has to give them the bad news, and it doesn't always go well. I've been pushed, screamed and sworn at. Don't underestimate this one.

- When it gets busy, it really gets busy. It really tests your ability to deal with pressure and stress to the extreme when customers are pulling you in five different directions and managers are telling you do 'one to many' sales and support. Most of my managers became stressed out at these times, hyper-intense and irritable – and because they're so focused on making customers happy, they invariably take it out on the employees. I've seen unbelievably unfair and unprofessional behaviour from management to employees, and many have left because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe 'credo' tells you that Apple's people – it's soul – is its people. Don't just say it, show it.

Great place to learn and grow, to get a job elsewhere.

Genius (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat development, lots of learning opportunities if you are driven to improve yourself.

ConsVery hard to get promoted.

Good place to work

Mac Genius (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Prosgets you out of your comfort zone. Things are always changing and you have to grow and evolve with it. Prepares you for many different situations whether its for work or personal.

ConsCanadian management is long in the tooth, lack-lustre and don't really have any truly corporate executive experience.
-Too much kowtowing to US management

Advice to Senior ManagementFearless feedback should be followed. leaders should be LEADERS. my self esteem has suffered because for over a year, i was told only what i was doing wrong and how horrible i was at my job. 99% of my customers loved me and requested to work only with me yet when i made a mistake i never heard the end of it. quit singling people out because other employees notice. i am so disappointed in this company.

Mix of positive and negative - position is

Apple Solutions Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible(ish) hours; decent salary + commission structure; pride in getting to say you work for Apple; decent employee discount for personal and friends/family; relative freedom in this position as you work largely on your own.

ConsHave to work weekends all the time; management doesn't truly listen to concerns about traffic and general business, they just want more sales and don't care how you get them; if store traffic is down so is your commission (generally);

Advice to Senior ManagementStop forcing ASCs to treat their role as if it's their own business - they have no control over most of what happens in the retail store they are placed in (Best Buy or Future Shop) and are little more than glorified trainers/sub-managers. Listen to your employees when they talk about traffic, demographics and other concerns - don't just brush it off saying it's the same everywhere. Guess what? It's not.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,106 reviews are posted anonymously by Apple employees.