AppFolio

Updated 11 December, 2014
Updated 11 December, 2014
4.1

Brian Donahoo

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio (less than an year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Working alongside great people
    Clients are happy with what they're getting
    A growing company with lots of room for growth

Cons

Pay is decent but not great
    Scaling up will become an issue in the future
    Software seems a but outdated, there needs to be more improvements

Continue to inspire your employees with enthusiasm

They've spoiled me...

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They foster a culture of employee appreciation and respect. I left the company due to relocation, and I've since then compared every company to them (and none have yet surpassed or really even come close). There are companies that say they are like AppFolio, with the perks and great environment and transparency, but AppFolio is everything it says it is. I know I will have a hard time finding a company with as much heart as they do business sense, but its reassuring to know that they are out there.

Cons

My only con was the distance I had to drive. I lived in the city and the office is about 15 miles outside the city. That's not their fault- I just wished the commute was shorter.

SaaS done right for the customer and for the employee

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding office culture
    Charismatic CEO
    Close-knit teams
    Collaboration
    Smart leadership in each department
    Simplicity at the core of the business
    Challenging work
    Ability to innovate within your role/department
    Well designed processes
    Genuine customer focus
    Work-life balance
    Open communication about company goals, initiatives, performance, and future
    Innovative software that truly changes the lives of its users

Cons

Not being able to roll out all the features our clients request. AppFolio has a very active user base and they come up with a ton of excellent ideas. Creating a robust solution happens quickly but still does not seem to fully sate our client's hunger for product enhancements.

Pretty close to perfect

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

-Motivated co-workers full of positive energy
    -Growth, growth and more growth
    -Fast paced start up culture which keeps things exciting
    -Casual and relaxed environment. We work hard and have fun doing it.
    -The perks: lots and lots of free food, on site workout classes, happy hours, etc.
    -4 weeks paid vacation. GREAT work/life balance.

Cons

Not much. There are definitely some growing pains but that's to be expected of a company growing as rapidly as we are.

Keep growing the team and enhancing the software but don't change much else! Things are great as they are.

Appfolian

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

fun atmosphere, 4 weeks of time off, food in fridges & ping pong/foosball, customer focused

Cons

lots of different things going on, growth pains, sub-par compensation

Good company, just not for me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture of the company is incredible. Tribal knowledge is the backbone of the sales department and everyone truly cares about the team effort. Dress code is relaxed (I wear jeans to work everyday). All managers are there to help in any way they can! If you work hard and are successful there are many opportunities to advance within the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the company, I just found the job to be very boring. Every position in the company is a full-on desk job and I just found myself unable to be successful in that type of environment.

Amazing Company, Ton of Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The leadership team does a great job of instilling a strong company culture. It is a very positive, open environment and everyone is very welcoming. You immediately feel like a member of the family and make new friends that extend beyond work. We are incredibly spoiled with food, fun AppFolio gear, fitness, happy hours, company parties & contests. There is never a dull day at the office.

In addition to the great atmosphere, it's exciting to be a part of a company that is growing so quickly. Every year we establish company initiatives that actually get implemented and completed. This is awesome to be a part of and gives you a sense of accomplishment. Our strong leadership team knows how to effectively lead each department and keep everyone in line with company goals. I feel honored to learn from the managers above me, there is a lot to learn for those early on in their careers.

New employees also have the plus of a strong benefits packet. For the entry-level positions, it's rare to find a company that offers PTO (and a lot of it) & full healthcare coverage from the start. For the Services department, you have the option for a promotion after 6 months, that is unheard of at most companies! Overall I have nothing to say but great things and am excited to see what's to come.

Cons

I have no complaints. As a member of the Services department and Customer Success team, I feel the complete opposite of most of the other listed cons. Our department has the most promotions and team growth of any department, month over month. Experienced Services members also have the opportunities to move into other teams and departments which allows for further career advancement. Customer service is not an "easy" job, but any candidate just looking for a resume builder should find elsewhere. You'll quickly find that “easy” is boring and has less pay off long-term. AppFolio is a great company for motivated people looking to work hard and do their part to contribute to a growing company. Promotions and raises aren't given because of length of employment, they are something earned. I appreciate this at AppFolio because it allows the motivated employees to be rewarded for their hard work and stand out at the company. For new hires right out of college, it's best to understand that you need to work hard and be patient in the working world (one year at a company is not that long!!!). Promotions are earned and there is plenty of opportunity for them at AppFolio.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Not as happy as they want you to believe

Former Employee - Implementation Manager
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager

I worked at AppFolio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, happy hour nights, tee shirts, costumes.

Cons

Staff is robotic, processes come before quality, management is below average at best. Company culture is targeted at the very young looking for a first job. Cronyism among top management is rampant. Not for anyone who wants to put quality work before production line quantity. Take a look at their Appfolio "Happy" video on YouTube. It's insane.

I wouldn't know where to begin.

Career opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is growing extremely fast and all departments are growing

Cons

customer success does not provide many career advancement opportunities

recognize your talent before you loose it

Great place to hone engineering skills

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive environment. Engineer-friendly culture. Smart coworkers with varied backgrounds. Great place to hone your engineering skills. Santa Barbara is more fun than I expected (even for single people). Most of all, I like how the company believes in getting everyone in touch with customers.

Cons

Growing-up pains. Product feels outdated and incomplete for seven year old company. Goals too high level to be translated by engineers. Too many cooks in kitchen, and too many meetings. Progress feels slow.

Figure out how to harness the full potential of the engineering team to deliver a great product.