AppFolio

www.appfolio.com

AppFolio Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Brian Donahoo

AppFolio- A wonderful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Goleta, CA (US)

ProsThe atmosphere is young and vibrant, with a fun work life balance. The headquarters in Santa Barbara has fun break room activities including ping pong, Foosball, and daily exercise classes. In addition AppFolio offers a fully stocked kitchen with food and beverages. This is a hard working environment and is focused on growing into a multi million dollar company, but where people work hard the also play hard.

ConsThere is not much room for advancement within the services, and the implementation sectors. Unless you are an Engineer your career growth goals may go unrecognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for growth within the company so that your talented workforce can continue to grow with the company, and provide value to the organization for the long term. Also focus more on training, and development to build skills across departments.

A Wonderful Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is driven to make the employees happy

ConsI honestly have none to state

Great company, most difficult and underpaid department

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe best part about this company is the culture. Most people are intelligent, motivated, and fun to be around. It makes work more enjoyable. Additionally there are many skilled people within the company who know their stuff and are available to learn from. Fun atmosphere, free snacks, relaxed but focused work environment. Great place for people who are serious about getting work done, but like to have fun along the way.

ConsEmployees in customer success are under-compensated for the stress and effort the job requires. They put too much work on our plate, and expect long days with no added benefits for working overtime. When we speak with clients, most of them are upset they can't get a response quick enough because we are so over-encumbered with clients that we don't have enough time to respond to everybody promptly. Even if we work 10 hour days, clients must wait because it's too much work for too few people. This is (hopefully) a temporary thing, but the expectations for us are simply unrealistic at this point.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire. Increase salaries and maybe the turn over rate will decrease.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company - Has it's cons thought

Customer Success Manager (Current Employee) Goleta, CA (US)

ProsGreat people, good benefits, free snacks, work out classes, occasional happy hours and fun work events.

ConsThe client base a CS manager will work with with will eventually wear you down as they can be very demanding and sometimes very rude. In the beginning you have a lot to look forward such as possible advancement into a different departments and your 6 month raise/ benefit acquisition. Lets get real though, no one wants to be in customer support as a career choice. You take the position in order to move up and grow your resume. So if the department your looking into doesn't need any extra people or they find someone more qualified you could find yourself stuck. You have the possibility to move up within the department but the pay is weak compared to any other position in the company. We have a top notch sales staff so it just keeps getting busier and you end up working more hours yet you keep getting paid the same regardless of effort or performance. It becomes very tough to stay positive and motivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the CS department something more to look forward to after 6 months such as additional raise possibilities or at least some sort of performance based bonus structure.

Sales Development Representative

Sales Development Representative (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA (US)

ProsGreat training, great people, and great product. Benefits are standard, there's a lot to do outside of work and leadership has tons of experience. I will continue to use the skills I gained from working at this company for the rest of my career. Top of the line equipment and snacks always available. Foosball a plus.

ConsMetrics mean everything and quantity/volume seems much more important than quality. Work is very repetitive. Hard to make it through the day without expressing some level of frustration (however it is sales).

Great culture. Great growth potential.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA (US)

ProsSmall, autonomous teams work closely with customers to release new features rapidly. Sustainable pace with excellent work/life balance. Great support for individuals and teams. Focus on continual improvement. Good opportunities for career growth as the company grows, both on technical and leadership tracks.

ConsCompany is growing rapidly, so there are constantly new people to bring up to speed. The number of paid holidays is a bit low. It is challenging to keep code quality high while constantly adding new people and producing such a high volume of new products and features.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the sustainable balance of growth vs profits. Continue to invest heavily in engineering.

A great place to work and to advance

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA (US)

ProsFun, creative, and team based culture. Company has solid growth. Pays great attention to employee's needs. Customers loves the products. Lots learning opportunities. A perfect place to start.

ConsFast pace demands quick on the job growth. Products are business facing. If you are only interested in hot technology buzz, this may not be a right place for you. The company is very customer and product centric. This is good for most of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with good job of growing the company and products. Couple more holidays will be better.

Just so so

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsIt tries to keep every one happy by snacks and t-shirts.

ConsOld technologies, not good for personal development. Slow growth. It took 7 years to be barly profitable. Poor health insurance, no 401k, no bonus. Workplace politics. Talented engineers are not really promoted to important postions. The managers are not good at techniques and do not really pay attention to the growth of the teams. But they are really good at keep their postions in the company.

Happy

ProsLove the people and product is truly the best in the industry

ConsNot really a con but company is no longer a startup

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to see more internal growth

Lots of love

ProsCustomers love the service
    Employees are positive and collaborate

ConsNothing stands out at the moment.

Worked for AppFolio? Contribute to the Community!