AppFolio

4.0

Brian Donahoo

Pretty close to perfect

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

-Motivated co-workers full of positive energy
    -Growth, growth and more growth
    -Fast paced start up culture which keeps things exciting
    -Casual and relaxed environment. We work hard and have fun doing it.
    -The perks: lots and lots of free food, on site workout classes, happy hours, etc.
    -4 weeks paid vacation. GREAT work/life balance.

Cons

Not much. There are definitely some growing pains but that's to be expected of a company growing as rapidly as we are.

Keep growing the team and enhancing the software but don't change much else! Things are great as they are.

Good company, just not for me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture of the company is incredible. Tribal knowledge is the backbone of the sales department and everyone truly cares about the team effort. Dress code is relaxed (I wear jeans to work everyday). All managers are there to help in any way they can! If you work hard and are successful there are many opportunities to advance within the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the company, I just found the job to be very boring. Every position in the company is a full-on desk job and I just found myself unable to be successful in that type of environment.

Not as happy as they want you to believe

Former Employee - Implementation Manager
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager

I worked at AppFolio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, happy hour nights, tee shirts, costumes.

Cons

Staff is robotic, processes come before quality, management is below average at best. Company culture is targeted at the very young looking for a first job. Cronyism among top management is rampant. Not for anyone who wants to put quality work before production line quantity. Take a look at their Appfolio "Happy" video on YouTube. It's insane.

I wouldn't know where to begin.

Amazing Company, Ton of Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The leadership team does a great job of instilling a strong company culture. It is a very positive, open environment and everyone is very welcoming. You immediately feel like a member of the family and make new friends that extend beyond work. We are incredibly spoiled with food, fun AppFolio gear, fitness, happy hours, company parties & contests. There is never a dull day at the office.

In addition to the great atmosphere, it's exciting to be a part of a company that is growing so quickly. Every year we establish company initiatives that actually get implemented and completed. This is awesome to be a part of and gives you a sense of accomplishment. Our strong leadership team knows how to effectively lead each department and keep everyone in line with company goals. I feel honored to learn from the managers above me, there is a lot to learn for those early on in their careers.

New employees also have the plus of a strong benefits packet. For the entry-level positions, it's rare to find a company that offers PTO (and a lot of it) & full healthcare coverage from the start. For the Services department, you have the option for a promotion after 6 months, that is unheard of at most companies! Overall I have nothing to say but great things and am excited to see what's to come.

Cons

I have no complaints. As a member of the Services department and Customer Success team, I feel the complete opposite of most of the other listed cons. Our department has the most promotions and team growth of any department, month over month. Experienced Services members also have the opportunities to move into other teams and departments which allows for further career advancement. Customer service is not an "easy" job, but any candidate just looking for a resume builder should find elsewhere. You'll quickly find that “easy” is boring and has less pay off long-term. AppFolio is a great company for motivated people looking to work hard and do their part to contribute to a growing company. Promotions and raises aren't given because of length of employment, they are something earned. I appreciate this at AppFolio because it allows the motivated employees to be rewarded for their hard work and stand out at the company. For new hires right out of college, it's best to understand that you need to work hard and be patient in the working world (one year at a company is not that long!!!). Promotions are earned and there is plenty of opportunity for them at AppFolio.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Career opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is growing extremely fast and all departments are growing

Cons

customer success does not provide many career advancement opportunities

recognize your talent before you loose it

Great place to hone engineering skills

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive environment. Engineer-friendly culture. Smart coworkers with varied backgrounds. Great place to hone your engineering skills. Santa Barbara is more fun than I expected (even for single people). Most of all, I like how the company believes in getting everyone in touch with customers.

Cons

Growing-up pains. Product feels outdated and incomplete for seven year old company. Goals too high level to be translated by engineers. Too many cooks in kitchen, and too many meetings. Progress feels slow.

Figure out how to harness the full potential of the engineering team to deliver a great product.

One of the happiest places to work

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- amazing work environment
    - even more amazing people
    - strong core values
    - genuine interests in doing what's right
    - innovative, fast paced
    - well stocked kitchens

Cons

- growing pains
    - type of growth

Good company to start your off in the industry

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA (US)

I worked at AppFolio as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very patient and helpful mentors, you will learn a lot. Appfolio can help you build up all the development skills quickly. The office uses open-ended design (just like Facebook), it's easy to ask for help; and all the other employees are very willing to help you.

People here are passionate and with a sense of humor, we are always laughing around.

Tons of snacks and drinks and fruits in the kitchen. You will never get hungry at work.

Cons

The salary is about average. Considering the light work load, it's decent enough.
    Goleta and Santa Barbara is a boring place, you need to drive 2 hours to reach LA.

Keep up the good work in sales and marketing. Consider raising the salary to attract more smart people.

Great Company, great leadership and great oppertunity

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are motivated to get experience and have opportunity for advancement, Appfolio is a great place to work at. The company is always growing looking to promote talent from within. They offer great training and a great opportunity to get hands on experience doing something that matters. To top if off, the senior leadership has created a great company atmosphere and set the company up to be very successful long term.

Cons

Nothing bad to say. Appfolio is a fast pace and growth minded company. If you do not mind showing up to work and giving your best, there are no cons. However if you are looking for a clock in/out job allowing you to coast, its not the place for you. The company rewards hard work and talent.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Awesome Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Implementation in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A fun and youthful culture. The company is growing quickly and offers a lot of room for employee growth. They promote from within the Company, which is awesome! Hard working, friendly and smart co-workers that continue to raise the bar and encourage me to push myself. A lot of opportunities to learn and develop skills. Hard work is noticed and rewarded. Can't say enough about how much I love working for this Company!

Cons

Busy days. The days fly by because there is always a lot to get done. Fast paced and exciting!

Keep it up!