Aon

Aon Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case

Greg Case

Pros
  • Work life balance is unheard of unless you are a Senior Broker or in the Energy Group(in 23 reviews)

• Good work environment and good growing opportunities(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for advancement(in 5 reviews)

• Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge(in 5 reviews)

Professional client driven global company.

Senior Account Specialist (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsExcellent employee support programmes, good benefits, reasonable salaries, flexible work place roles, energetic forward thinking client driven synergies

ConsAon is too quick to terminate older senior employees that have a wealth of experience that can benefit the corporations immediate and longer term objectives. instead it has caved into the culture of youth wherein salary compensation levels are lower. However the trade off is a loss of experience that can give a company an edge in a highly competitive, fast changing marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementAon's leadership teams have to consider the long term benefits to shareholders of maintaining an investment in experience rather than seeking resolution of short term goals with a less qualified and experienced employee base. What they are giving up in their senior staff is not compensated by the necessity to focus more resources on employment training to bring staff up to an experiential level that already exists. That cost exceeds the cost to maintain an experienced employment base.

Fantastic company

Account Executive (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsExcellent place to learn. Colleagues are great. Innovative company.

ConsIssues that face all large corporations.

Good Company with Lots of Opportunity

Associate Broker (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsLots of room for professional growth
    Senior management is typically quite knowledgeable
    Amiable group of working colleagues
    Accommodating work culture

Definitely a great place to start and chart a career as there is an abundance of opportunities to move around the country and globe. One of the few companies interested in developing young candidates for future leadership positions.

ConsTypical office politics
    Company initiatives can be unnecessary and overly burdensome
    Initial training process is disjointed and unorganized

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good company.

ProsDefinitely a lot of room for growth.

ConsLike every big company, sometimes the little people are forgotten about.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to "real" workers and take care of them.

Excellent Company

ProsIs huge and has a lot of knwedge

ConsA lot of politics in high levels

Large firm with lots of opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSignificant opportunities for advancement and transfer around the world. Pay is variable depending on role. Diverse employees and management. Brand is not well known.

ConsLarge firm has very little cohesiveness and everyone has a different objective - no real sense of company "personality". Management is less concerned with your progress than with your productivity.

A great experience on a long-term contract

Recruitment/Sourcing Consultant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsSupportive and positive team environment. Given autonomy to succeed per my own strategies. Fantastic Manager and Director. Lots of tools at our fingertips. Supportive of a 100% virtual role.

ConsHiring Managers vary in their ability to respond quickly and effectively to hire top talent. Some Managers do not understand that 'time kills deals'.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain all Management on Recruitment Best Practices. Hiring top performers should be Aon's #1 priority. Recruitment life-cycle is way too long. In addition, I suggest triggering salary surveys across the board as Aon consistently under-compensates compared to their competition in the Toronto marketplace.

Challenging but rewarding

Broker (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsBreadth and depth of learning on your subject matter, great colleagues, good management support and team building.

ConsVery fast paced, structured and little room for error. Not for everyone.

Horrible corporate culture and office environment

Account Executive (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsNone to mention, other than good exposure to large, complex clients/accounts which forces you to learn via a sink or swim company attitude

ConsTop heavy
    Old "boys/girls club"
    No development, investment or training for new hires
    Poor communication, misguided direction
    Management lie and falsify information to trick employees into staying and keep their confidence low
    Lacks professionalism
    Min to no raises, unless you're a conformist (i.e. brown noser) or fight nail and tooth

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house

Interesting

Risks Analyst (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsNice people, no long hours, business casual dress code.

ConsNo suits so lacks corporate environment sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating talent more, and give appropriate compensation apart from salary (prizes, gifts, dinners, etc)

Worked for Aon? Contribute to the Community!