Amgen

Amgen Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway

Robert A. Bradway

Pros
  • With many tight deadlines, work life balance is available but not easily obtainable (in 67 reviews)

• It has great benefits in their retirement plan and then have a great matching 401K plan (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance and no career development towards their employees (in 17 reviews)

• Culture does not promote decision-making at lower management levels (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Utopic environment that pushes you to be your best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsIncredibly intelligent colleagues, good compensation, good location, great products that make you proud to work there.

ConsLimited upward mobility in Canada, expectation that staff who really want to grow will move to California head office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, loved the place.

Excellent place to work and grow

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGreat people and work environment. I have enjoyed my work very much here.

ConsThousand Oaks is a slow city that sleeps by 9pm. If you want a late night dinner, you will have very few options.

Amazing Company with great pay and benefits.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsProfessionalism mixed with fun.
    Develops employess
    Extremely competitive environment

ConsWork life balance, leadership, direction of company is shaky right now for sustainable employment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Forward looking biotech that focuses on return for shareholders

Senior Manager Information Systems (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, Sr. Leadership focused on patients and shareholders, great culture

ConsNon innovative, tough to push projects through that add value, poor accountability

Amgen Finance - historically been good career development, future TBD

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsApplies to Finance only: Good performers have been able to rotate jobs every 2-3 years and get promoted on a decent schedule. Relatively informal atmosphere.

Amgen overall: decent pay, good bonus program (really good for Directors & above). 10% 401K matching is nice.

ConsApplies to Finance only: Much harder to get promoted beyond Senior Manager. Only one internal promotion to VP in last 10+ years, rest are external hires. 4 or 5 CFOs in last 7 years.

Amgen overall: definitely in "productivity" mode, CEO even talked about layoffs are likely coming, hard to focus on the real jobs at hand. If you leave near Amgen, you'll likely have to move if you change companies because there are not many other options without a long commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementApplies to Finance only: Need to develop a track to VP internally. How can you have no internal promotions to VP in a company this size?

Amgen overall: Need to weed out the lazy people who just hang on here because they like living in the area. They are taking away opportunities for the up and comers.

Great science company to work for

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGood pay and benefits. It's a great campus to work for.

ConsStrapped to a position. It's difficult to move from within.

Great place to learn and be involved with the overall process

ProsCompensation/benefits are good, used to have great people to work with.

ConsMicro Management and top heavy. Too many EVPs/Directors to name. little to no professional growth possible anymore. Too much bureaucracy, decision making heads, no growth and constant looking over your back

Advice to Senior ManagementTry thinning the herd from the top, not enough people to do the work but way too many who think they should decide who does it.

No career advancement

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGreat total rewards and compensation.

ConsLittle to no opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementGive staff a chance to move up.

Going to be stronger than ever

Executive Director (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGood science
    Nice campus
    Can't beat the weather

ConsHard to get things done
    Can't trust anyone

Contracting-Excellent Work Experience

ProsAmgen is on the cutting edge of technology and business processes. Staff have been very welcoming and don't treat contractors like second class employees .

ConsVery difficult to transition contracting into Full time perm position

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!