Amgen

Amgen Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway

Robert A. Bradway

Pros
  • Work/Life balance competitive salaries and challenging work(in 66 reviews)

• It has great benefits in their retirement plan and then have a great matching 401K plan(in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance and no career development towards their employees(in 17 reviews)

• Culture does not promote decision-making at lower management levels(in 29 reviews)

Utopic environment that pushes you to be your best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsIncredibly intelligent colleagues, good compensation, good location, great products that make you proud to work there.

ConsLimited upward mobility in Canada, expectation that staff who really want to grow will move to California head office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, loved the place.

No career advancement

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGreat total rewards and compensation.

ConsLittle to no opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementGive staff a chance to move up.

Contracting-Excellent Work Experience

ProsAmgen is on the cutting edge of technology and business processes. Staff have been very welcoming and don't treat contractors like second class employees .

ConsVery difficult to transition contracting into Full time perm position

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going to be stronger than ever

Executive Director (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGood science
    Nice campus
    Can't beat the weather

ConsHard to get things done
    Can't trust anyone

Graduate Summer Intern

Graduate Summer Intern (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsIncredibly great internship! Well charted out project,truly knowledgeable colleagues and a great work environment.
    - Collaborative work culture
    - Wonderful work/life balance
    - Challenging work
    - Lots to learn

ConsNo specific cons,really. The Thousand Oaks location is huge and that maybe a con for some,if working at a large office campus is not your preference. But overall,great work environment!

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the finest management folks I have ever met. Very open,very supporting,very encouraging! I hope to be as humble and competent as them in my career.

Great experience working with some amazing folks!

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsGreat culture - no micro-management! Just accountable for your deliverables!! The PMO was amazing!! learnt a lot of professional PM related methodologies!

ConsYou are just another Contractor! The perm employees get all the benefits!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about mopre perm ops?

Striving to keep sight of patients and science while accelerating growth in a changing health care world.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsPeople: Smart, inquiring, caring, committed. You learn something new every day, some of it better than sci-fi.
    Benefits. This company takes care of its own. Support staff like HR, Comp, Payroll give an unbelievable level of individual support for a company this size.
    Cost discipline.

ConsSense of instability: "What's next?" Some staff concerned that the company is trying to move TOO fast...

Advice to Senior ManagementPatients.

Intense atmosphere with excellent benefits

Project Manager (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsThe campus in Thousand Oaks is without question, beautiful and the area a great place to live. The overall benefits are what you would expect from a large corporate employer with added on campus perks. There was a time when Amgen attracted talented people and many are still there, so one is mostly surrounded by smart folks.

ConsThe culture is intense, and that is no understatement. The hierarchy is like no other within the industry, very much a top down organization focused on the bottom line.

Great company

Material Coordinator (Current Employee) West Greenwich, RI (US)

ProsIt has great benefits in their retirement plan and then have a great matching 401K plan

ConsThere are changes coming and I am starting to question what the future is. And what Management is not telling us.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the people who do the job what need to change. And really listen to they.

Employee Satisfaction

Scientist (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

ProsAmgen provides an excellent compensation and benefits package, the working environment is excellent in general with some notable exceptions, and the company provides extensive employee development training opportunities. The Amgen campus is ideally located in Thousand Oaks, which has great weather, excellent schools, and a safe environment.

ConsCareer path opportunities are limited and advancement is often driven by politics. Numerous inefficiencies and multiple layers of bureaucracy are prevalent; management decisions are often arbitrary. Far too many unproductive meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementA career path with opportunities for advancement, particularly for R&D needs to be in place. Reduce the heavy middle management positions and develop a fair and equitable system for promotions that reduces the politics.

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!