American Water

American Water Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

American Water CEO Susan Story

Susan Story

Pros
  • They have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far (in 10 reviews)

• great benefits, good education program for employees (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Career advancement opportunities (in 4 reviews)

• Often have to worry about job security and restructuring (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Manager of Loss Control (Current Employee) Champaign, IL (US)

ProsGreat Benefits, Co-Workers, Management, Pay, and more.

ConsOften have to worry about job security and restructuring.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease focus on the employee.

good learning process

Systems Tehnician (Former Employee) East Palo Alto, CA (US)

Prosgreat benefits, good education program for employees

Consnot much room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementI rather not say

Rewarding but has come at a cost

ProsSalary and benefits are good. The vast majority of people care about the work they are doing. The newer executive members have a much better attitude towards employees and seem to want to change the negative culture. Promotions can take time but are available if you work hard and wait it out.

ConsWork/life balance is abysmal. You work as hard, if not harder, than someone at a tech company without the perks. Very high stress environment due to punitive culture. This exists even though there are very few established processes and little training available to prevent issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than compare to similar industries, look at the successful Fortune 500 companies for guidance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Company has become very short term focused and lead by a single aspect of personality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsProvides good service to customers due to the commitment and focus of its operating personnel

ConsSingle key individuals have a a very narrow view on leadership and everyone must meet that mold. In addition some key leaders completely lack knowledge of what is happening in the real world of the company's operations

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up before you lose all of your experts that keep the company running.

Good firm if you are in it for the long haul.

Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsWorking for a regulated monopoly, the company is pretty stable. There's usually a lot of capital to invest in the infrastructure.

ConsWhile stable, there are time when there is a lot of bloat. At times, that capital investment leads to trying to do too much too fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementPreach a consistent message

Don't Bother

ProsBenefits are ok, that is truly it. Nothing else to talk about.

ConsCompany is not on same page. Poor communication. Poor management. Human Resources is horrific. Polices made, never followed. New leaders are needed, this organization is on the down side. I really wish I could say something positive, but there is nothing. Upper managment coming in just to fill their pockets, corporate greed has taken over. So sad for a company at one time was superb. They are trying to make a small company a big company where only management reaps rewards. Worker bees get screwed due to the greed. Managment cliques are just awful, and blackball employees and are only committed to other managment so they support anything they say. I would be very leary working in this environment. It is stressful and there is no empathy with what people are going through. We are now in a reorganization going on, and it is by far the worst corporate reorg people have ever seen or experienced. Those affected are being treated like trash by management. It is a true disgrace.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have ruined this company to the enth degree. I really don't think it will ever bounce back. You are not true to your employees or your company. The truth is always covered up and hidden. Employees no longer trust. So many people looking to leave, myself, as well. We are so disappointed. Find some TRUE leaders and not a clique of managers and directors who is ruinning the company into the ground.

Long Road

ProsGreat Health benefits and people

Consnot much room for advancement unless you know someone or brown nose

OK place to work.

Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) Voorhees, NJ (US)

ProsPeople I worked with were nice. The schedule was day shift which was nice.

ConsPay was not that great. No room for advancement unless you knew someone.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your pay and opportunities to move up.

Good as starting point and then move on

ProsAbility to develop self
    Great for technical industry knowledge

ConsPoor and inconsistent leadership
    HR Practices not standardized
    Lack of management development

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to change culture, you need to change the leadership
    If managers don't value people development should they still be people managers

Downward spiral and unhappy employees

Anonymous (Current Employee)

Pros- remote work possible
    - competitive entry level salary
    - new technology

Cons- Work life balance out of sync, vacation time ridiculous, unless you spent 20 years with the company
    - cost cuttings everywhere to balance out higher than estimated costs for new system implementation
    - previous training opportunities were great, however now due to costs, cuts everywhere
    - constant changes within the organization, people are exhausted and just not happy anymore
    - upper management says "open door policy" but they don't act upon it, not listening to employees

Advice to Senior Management- listen to employees
    - slow down with changes, organization is change saturated
    - find better ways to keep high performing employees
    - change vacation polices, make it competitive

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!