American Greetings

corporate.americangreetings.com

American Greetings Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
American Greetings – US – “Outside view”

American Greetings – US – “Outside view”

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss

Zev Weiss

Pros
  • Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, on your own, and if you love organization then this is the place for that (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Most upper management positions are held by individuals who have been with the company 20 (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of senior management promoting growth and innovation, but the business itself does neither (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

No, do not do it!!

Area Supervisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsFlexible work environment to a certain extent. Good, hardworking part time merchandisers.

ConsTerrible values in the personnel department, employees are just numbers. Field sales just puts more on the Area Supervisors territory w/o regard to work loads. Chicago DM is a "real winner". It pays to be friendly with..

Advice to Senior ManagementRun the company as a business, lose the paranoia. Stop building false sales numbers through revisions.

Not long term employee friendly.

Merchandisers (Current Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsGreat flexibility for mom with younger kids.

ConsAfter 20yrs service, pretty much run out of company. Within 2mos, both accounts taken away, leaving me as extra for resets. Set up when I returned from a vacation. Does not like people who know what doesn't work and has been tried. Supervisors set themselves up to look good at the expense of accounts, manipulate the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour focus should be on what works best for the account,not the percentage of orders to calls.

American Greetings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsCreative environment, interesting content, fun coworkers! Lots of opportunities to be involved in projects outside of your role.

ConsPay is not great. Procedures change frequently so you're always learning a new system or protocol, but bigger, more important issues take a long time to change. Some leadership changes need to be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up your pay scale to attract, and keep, top talent. Survey employees about manager satisfaction and then think hard about what they have to say and how things could be improved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Victim of the 20+ year employment purge

Analyst (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsExposure to work with some really good knowledgeable people. Stable job environment if you are not ambitious.

ConsNepotism. Managers that are silo driven and not corporate driven. Employees with 20 years of company tenure are often purged due to pay scale and benefits. Some positions do not offer transferrable skill sets.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to show loyalty to long-term proven employees.

Database Administrator

DB2 Database Administrator (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsThis company is a place where your qualifications can make a difference.
    Very good team and management.
    The company is on its way up with 400+ million $ it investment on IT Projects in the last 5 years.
    Good Paymaster.

ConsLocated in Cleveland which has bad winters.

PTM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPick most of the time when you work.

ConsStuck in the dark ages, low pay rate.

Good company to work for, great co-workers, good place to get a wide range of experience

Web Developer (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsGreat work/life balance, co-workers who are collaborative and a joy to work with, immediate supervisors/managers who are truly engaged and willing to give opportunities for development in keeping with my interests and professional goals. Excellent place to get a range of experience working on all kinds of projects.

ConsThey have gone through a number of layoffs over the last few years. The recent changes look promising that the company may be finding it's direction and structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep with the recent focus on more communication and transparency.

First years were somewhat exciting, but after that time, the job became dead end with no prospects.

ProsGreat location, ok salary, earned flexibility, weekly pay, extra off days for holidays.

ConsThe company aspires to be a Google of social expression products but in reality it is going in similar direction as Kodak Eastman.......
    The company is not managed properly. The business struggles because, management is close-minded. Directors, managers, supervisors do not always have the best interest of the company as their goal. Internal competition between departments is disrupting work flow. Employees are numbers not people. A lot of the business is being moved to China.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture of the company and never stop looking for other opportunities.

Only got this job to make it through the winter and am applying for other jobs daily to escape this place.

PT Installer - Special Projects (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsCo-workers on my crew work well and get along together for the most part. Other than that, not many pros during my time here so far.

ConsUpper management has ZERO idea on how to schedule the revisions or build display racks. I think when they figure out scheduling, they just have a map and throw darts at it to decide the order and locations of our next store.

Most of the time, we have a job in our area but next day we have to drive hundreds of miles to get to the next revision then be hundreds of miles in the opposite direction from our home the next day. Some days we work 4 hrs, others it turns into a fiasco of 14 hrs or more and gets very stressful to meet time limits of our schedule and the store managers we deal with.

90% of the time we are missing parts (or they are severely damaged) and have to "McGyver" the card racks and displays with random or on-site custom built parts and a whole lot of ingenuity.

They need to pay installers and merchandisers a living wage so there's less turn-over. Nothing's more frustrating than having to constantly stop what you're working on to train someone new everyday or week while you are trying to get your job done quickly end efficiently.

We have about a 50/50 shot at having a dumpster delivered before we get to our next job site. Sometimes we have to remove the old displays, separate the metal from the plastic, stack them on pallets and wrap it all up. Then we're expected to come back to break those apart and throw it in the dumpster whenever it finally arrives days later all while trying to get to your scheduled store that night on time.

And last but not least, they have a very strange way to input your hours. It's a SharePoint application that is so screwed up, you are lucky if you can even log in at all.

Good luck to anyone wanting to work here because in the division of AG I work at, it's a disaster. To partially quote Forrest Gump... "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement the LEAN system during revisions... actually it should be implemented company wide to save time, money, jobs and headaches from our end. Make Area Supervisors be on-site when we do revisions to get a better understanding of the work, time and problems we encounter everyday. I'm sure they can make this happen because it seems like they have a massive amount of supervisors all either passing the buck to the next guy down or ignoring our concerns altogether.

Easy workload, yet too stressful for a greeting card company.

Key Holder (Current Employee) Westminster, MD (US)

ProsEasy workload, friendly customers, 45% off discount

ConsDistrict managers are absolutely ridiculous. The company is struggling to keep afloat and is blaming the lowest form of employees for their inability to attract customers. District manager is a bully.

Advice to Senior ManagementCalm down.

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!