American Greetings

corporate.americangreetings.com

American Greetings Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
American Greetings – US – “Outside view”

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss

Zev Weiss

Pros
  • Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company(in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, on your own, and if you love organization then this is the place for that(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Most upper management positions are held by individuals who have been with the company 20(in 9 reviews)

• Lots of senior management promoting growth and innovation, but the business itself does neither(in 8 reviews)

Not long term employee friendly.

Merchandisers (Current Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsGreat flexibility for mom with younger kids.

ConsAfter 20yrs service, pretty much run out of company. Within 2mos, both accounts taken away, leaving me as extra for resets. Set up when I returned from a vacation. Does not like people who know what doesn't work and has been tried. Supervisors set themselves up to look good at the expense of accounts, manipulate the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour focus should be on what works best for the account,not the percentage of orders to calls.

Victim of the 20+ year employment purge

Analyst (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsExposure to work with some really good knowledgeable people. Stable job environment if you are not ambitious.

ConsNepotism. Managers that are silo driven and not corporate driven. Employees with 20 years of company tenure are often purged due to pay scale and benefits. Some positions do not offer transferrable skill sets.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to show loyalty to long-term proven employees.

American Greetings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsCreative environment, interesting content, fun coworkers! Lots of opportunities to be involved in projects outside of your role.

ConsPay is not great. Procedures change frequently so you're always learning a new system or protocol, but bigger, more important issues take a long time to change. Some leadership changes need to be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up your pay scale to attract, and keep, top talent. Survey employees about manager satisfaction and then think hard about what they have to say and how things could be improved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Database Administrator

DB2 Database Administrator (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsThis company is a place where your qualifications can make a difference.
    Very good team and management.
    The company is on its way up with 400+ million $ it investment on IT Projects in the last 5 years.
    Good Paymaster.

ConsLocated in Cleveland which has bad winters.

Good company to work for, great co-workers, good place to get a wide range of experience

Web Developer (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsGreat work/life balance, co-workers who are collaborative and a joy to work with, immediate supervisors/managers who are truly engaged and willing to give opportunities for development in keeping with my interests and professional goals. Excellent place to get a range of experience working on all kinds of projects.

ConsThey have gone through a number of layoffs over the last few years. The recent changes look promising that the company may be finding it's direction and structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep with the recent focus on more communication and transparency.

PTM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPick most of the time when you work.

ConsStuck in the dark ages, low pay rate.

First years were somewhat exciting, but after that time, the job became dead end with no prospects.

ProsGreat location, ok salary, earned flexibility, weekly pay, extra off days for holidays.

ConsThe company aspires to be a Google of social expression products but in reality it is going in similar direction as Kodak Eastman.......
    The company is not managed properly. The business struggles because, management is close-minded. Directors, managers, supervisors do not always have the best interest of the company as their goal. Internal competition between departments is disrupting work flow. Employees are numbers not people. A lot of the business is being moved to China.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture of the company and never stop looking for other opportunities.

Glad I got the experience working in this field but this is definitely not the job for me to stay at for years.

PT Merchandiser (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Flexibility: I can go into the stores service at anytime of the day
    - Independence: I'm not in an office all day with a supervisor or co-workers breathing down my neck
    - Pay: The rate per hour is pretty good compared to retail stores and payday is every Friday
    - Travel Pay: Although you don't get paid driving from home to a store or from a store back home, you do get paid for the time traveled in between stores.
    - If you just want to make a little more money each month, or are retired and just want a job to keep you busy during the week, this is perfect for you. (However, the job can be very labor intense so you will be on your knees a lot, bending down often, reaching up, lifting heavy boxes and constantly getting paper cuts and scratches from all the paper and card board you will be working with.)

Cons- No Consistency: Hours per week can vary greatly. One week I might have only worked 10 hours, the next week 36 and the following week 20 hours.
    - High turn around rate: So many people quit, or supervisors switch and because there's no office it's hard to know who's still working where. There's never enough people for revisions or enough people to cover for you when you're sick
    - Not enough supervisor support: One supervisor has to be in charge of hundreds of stores which of course is too much for one person. Some stores go neglected or unnoticed.
    - No growth opportunities: You can't really go up in this company. If you start as a part time merchandiser, you're pretty much going to remain that until you leave. A lot of the people in my area are middle aged women and older and have been working for the company for 5 years or more.
    - If you have allergies, DO NOT work here. You will often be in dusty stock rooms and dealing with old dusty cards and card cabinets.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire more assistant supervisors or create some positions close to that. There's never enough help, a lot of things can never get done and there's too many issues to handle because its all too much for one supervisor to handle. And please do a better job of trying to hire people. There's never enough merchandisers for any support.

TRS / PTM

TRS/PTM (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA (US)

Prosflexible schedule, truly just a part time job

ConsNo growth opportunity unless willing to relocate, doesn't promote from within, required to work day after major holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the PTMs and TRSs are the backbone of your compnay, trying paying a decent wage and providing growth opportunity for those whose interested. Strongly consider have upper management actually work in the field to achieve a better understanding of these positions.

Great company, friendly co-workers, energetic environment.

ProsThe products have dramatically improved over the past 5 years - from acquisitions and internal development.
    Co-workers are smart and friendly, and the generally enjoy what they are doing.
    The leadership is making an effort to listen and respond to employee concerns.
    The Weiss family believes so strongly in the prospects of the company that they recently took it private.

ConsThe only con I can think of is that now that the company structure is flatter and not growing a lot, there are fewer promotion opportunities. There have been recent efforts to increase cross-functional moves.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on the action plans from the recent employee survey, and keep listening.

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!