American Eagle Outfitters

3.5
1,066 Reviews

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 168 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register (in 95 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working here

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lethbridge, AB
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lethbridge, AB

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

-Great staff
    -Really simple to book time off
    -Opportunity to move up in the company
    -Awesome discount. (40% off storewide, 25% off clearance and gift cards, 60% off certain seasonal items)
    -Flexible. I started as regular daytime staff in the summer then moved to stock overnights during school to keep the job and cash flow, they were extremely receptive

Cons

It's a retail job, the pay isn't as great as say a receptionist or call center rep, but that's ro be expected. You need to work your way up and earn your pay check. If you like the people you work with, it's totally worth it

Keep doing what you're doing! I haven't had a better manager than the onestop I had st American Eagle. Awesome people, awesome company

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-everyone there is honestly so nice and awesome.
    -great discount: 40% off all apparel, 25% off clearance, and during certain seasons you get select 12 items for 60% off
    -awesome clothes
    -you set goals for yourself so you can grow

Cons

-any cons that come with working in retail!
    -you don't get many hours at first, but as you grow and you get stronger as an associate, you get more hours
    -you're obviously not going to end up liking everyone that you meet and work with, but hey, that's life

Stock Associate

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Discount
    Pay
    nothing else really
    I was working with a friend

Cons

No training
    Rude managers
    No respect
    Don't pay attention to availability
    Rude co workers (some)

I worked here for a week, yes a week. I was hired on the spot, no interview, which was very unprofessional of them. I was hired as a seasonal employee, and assigned to do stock. I was given no training or instructions on my first day of what to do, i ended up sitting in the stock room clueless as to what to do on my first day. On my second day i was finally assigned a task, but still no training, or explaining of where everything was. On black Friday, they assigned me to work sales, when i had no training what so ever on sales, cause all week i had worked stock and gotten used to it. They set me up for failure. The following week, one of the managers asked to speak to me, and told me she had spoken about me to other employees (which is not allowed) and that i was struggling (how could i succeed when i had no training?!) on black Friday. If a customer doesn't want help, I'm not going to annoy them out of the store to lose sales, as they clearly want us to do. Sometimes, they would forget to tell me when i had to go on break, or not tell me my shift was over (as they are supposed to do over the headset) and i would work a full shift without a break, until i had to ask when it was, which they would then tell me my shift was over. I would not recommend working at American Eagle, at least Eaton Centre location. I had to miss school to work, and they paid no mind to my availability.

Great Experience at American eagle

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, ON

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked the friendly work environment, the flexible hours, and the discount was amazing. 60% off special new items, and 25% off clearance.

Cons

I had only one negative view when working at American Eagle. When I had to find out my hours, I had to keep calling in.

The utilization of an online system that employees can see their schedules would be very convenient. Perhaps an app?

Understaffed

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well lit and well organized store and close bond with coworkers since there were no specific assigned jobs. Generous merchandise discounts. The layout of the store is spacious which allows for easier cleanup and display of merchandise.

Cons

Understaffed during peak hours (for example after school hours and Friday afternoons) which resulted in slower service and greater levels of customer dissatisfaction.

As a previous employee at AE, I must say it has been by far the best retail job I have worked. I have worked at quite a few retail stores in my years of retail, and AE is just the greatest thus far.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stylist/Jean Expert in Markham, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stylist/Jean Expert in Markham, ON

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time

Pros

The management team was by far the best reasons to coming into work everyday. AE was my second home. I could leave late at night and want to return so early in the morning with a smile on my face. Andrea Davis, the store manager made my days very memorable working at AE. Also, the atmosphere and my workmates fall second to making AE an amazing store. Everyone was so upbeat and positive constantly! Everyone motivated each other to work harder and strive to be the greatest employees to provide exceptional customer service.

Cons

The only challenges to working at AE is within thyself. There was always room for improvement and you could only get better at your job. The challenges I faced were within myself, just learning to push myself harder, and have more faith in my work ethics.

Andrea Davis was the best choice to be put as Store manager at American Eagle at the Markville Mall. If it were not for her today I would not be where I am now. I worked at AE for about almost a year and in that short time span I drastically changed and became a much stronger sales associate. I am now working in the gift shops on board Holland America Line as a sales associate and some of the tactics being used on board I am already familiar with them from AE. AE definitely prepared me a whole lot and I could not have asked for anything else. I will never hesitate to going back to working at AE, especially under Andrea Davis.

Great student employer

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint John's, NL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint John's, NL

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible scheduling, great company culture, great store atmosphere.

Cons

Can be chaotic at times. Could provide better training to front line staff.

Engage more with the stores and front lone staff.

Great experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Laval, QC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Laval, QC

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of "perks"
    Great discount on mercy
    Fun contests to win free stuff

Cons

Small shifts (3 hrs) for part time employees

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time

Pros

Amazing discount
    Great work environment
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

They hire lots of employees and then schedule very little hours, on average 4 hours a week, sometimes more, sometimes not at all. It makes it tough for us employees as we then have to get second jobs and then have to work out the availability, and if they then don't schedule us still in the time slotted, its a bit frustrating.

Don't hire every outgoing person that walks through the doors unless its Christmas! We all agree and talk about how nice it would be if you guys didn't hire so many employees and just scheduled more hours for each one :( That way we can know our stock much better as well if we are in more often!

Its retail!

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time

Pros

Busy, opportunities to advance within. Good health benefits if full time. Variety of staff and customers.

Cons

No payroll, store opening hours. No training hours apart from 4 hour orientation. Working with large management teams can get hard. Scheduling is not good with home life. Need to be single and focus only on work.

American Eagle Outfitters Photos