American Eagle Outfitters

American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

American Eagle Outfitters CEO Robert Hanson

Robert Hanson

Pros:
  • "There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products"
    in 120 reviews
  • "One of the best aspects of AEO is the employee discount"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "For one the poor sales associates hours are based off of how many credit cards they get"
    in 74 reviews
  • "Minimum wage, which is not a fun thing if you live in New York"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Often expected too much.

Sales/Stock (Former Employee)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally a very good atmosphere. Great discount, good people, and if your availability allows it, you have the opportunity to learn a lot. I did everything I was allowed to as a part-timer -- sales, cash, stock, visual merchandising, floor sets, fits. It was a lot of fun and had really great holiday hours.

ConsI worked there for a year and it felt like the requirements to remain an employee got higher and higher as time went on. By the end of my time there, my managers were stressed out for fear of losing their jobs -- because we weren't selling enough in our suburb mall location. As with all retail jobs, they're reluctant to promote anyone and take advantage of their turnover (meaning, there will always be another 16-year-old kid who will take your job if you don't like it).

Perfect school job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Lethbridge, AB

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

ProsManagement treats you with respect while still keeping an employer-employee relationship. Makes you genuinely care about sales targets and KPIs. Excellent organization from head office; minimal miscommunication

ConsMany underage associates with less than desired work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide mini contests on big promotion weekends to make associates excited to sell

Okay

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

ProsThe discounts is really good.

ConsYou get a lot of hours one week and none the next.

Great student job!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery Flexible for hours with student's
Great Staff community
Boss' are great
Great place to work for the last 3 years

ConsToo many call in's
Work becomes tedious
Too many employee's not enough hours to go around

Mediocre

Toronto, ON

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat team to work with

ConsWork is repititive and not that interesting

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower sales associates

Flexible, fun and informative

Stock Lead (Former Employee)
Ottawa, ON

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than a year

ProsEvery day the entire staff starts off watching videos to work on product knowledge
Fantastic staff discounts throughout the year and lots of prizes to be won (i.e. choose any denim for $10)
Entire staff is educated on KPI's and feels involved.
Streamlined and structured processes throughout.

ConsAt the store level, too tight on labour hours budget. Not willing to spend time improving processes for the long-term.
Sometimes under-qualified management. Needed better HR-training as management behaviour was unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that you've got to spend money to make money - invest in the improvement of processes.

store manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)
London, ON

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than 8 years

Prosreputable company name when you say you work at AE as people love the product

ConsThey dont care about you personally at all...It is a work work and more work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementDont work here if you want a work life balance

Great staff and a very fun envirnoment

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Prosvery good employee discount and booking time off is easy

ConsNo cons for this job, scheduling is sometimes late but usually very good and professional!

Ok retail job to get while you are studying, don't expect to grow in the company

Montreal, QC

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get good employee and seasonal discount. You don't need to wear clothes coming from the store, as long as if falls into the same style.
Also, some breaks you take are paid by the company.

ConsThe managers are consistently telling you in the earphone to go talk to the customer even though the customer just told you that they don't need your help. If you don't go hassle that customer again, the manager will keep on looking at you until you do it. I even got warnings because I replied to the manager that I just approached the customer and the person doesn't need my help.
The increase in salary is sooooooo little like few cents 25 or 30 per year if you are an average who is doing the job as they wanted/asked and for those who excel (normally only lead cashiers get it) it's like around 40-50 cents. For those who are not meeting the managers expectation, sorry you won't get a penny of increase. There is no way to grow in the company unless you start higher than the management level.

Sales Associate

Edmonton, AB

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

ProsManagers are nice, colleagues are great. 40% discount is great, and ^60% discount on seasonal items. As well, its not too demanding. Great to gain work experience as they give you supportive criticism.

ConsHired a lot of young people (grade 10) at the same time, so much to the extent that they weren't all properly trained. sometimes you have to wait a long time for your breaks.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease amount of young employees, and try to give more hours to current employees. Train new recruits better, and try to improve those existing. When i walk into the store, i know i am supposed to be greeted and told the promotion, but i didnt recieve any welcome, even after purposely wandering around the store for several minutes. As well, some particular older employees can be slightly snotty, and won't attend to a customer unless directly approached.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for American Eagle Outfitters CEO Robert Hanson. All 752 reviews are posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees.