American Eagle Outfitters

American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein

Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products(in 126 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • For one the poor sales associates hours are based off of how many credit cards they get(in 79 reviews)

• Minimum wage, which is not a fun thing if you live in New York(in 44 reviews)

Love! Hired twice by this company!

Sales Associate and Overnight Merchandiser (Current Employee) London, ON

ProsGreat atmosphere and great customers! Flexible hours. Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends. Love my Manager, he is friendly and involved. I feel comfortable talking to him about anything. You have the opportunity to be a sales associate on the floor, or back of house as a merchandiser or stock. They allow days off for school or previous commitments (volunteering, Doctor appointments, etc.)

ConsWage (But, this is expected with retail)

Advice to Senior ManagementHold onto the good workers! I've seen many people leave because of lack of hours and/or pay.

great experience but horrible district manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience if you want to move into higher end or big box environment, they move management around to different areas of business which works well

Consthe district manager seems to work against you instead of with you. at different times of the day either the DM will call and yell at you or have another manager call and quiz you about whats going on

Advice to Senior Managementkeep a closer eye on DMs and treat management as well as you want them to treat associates

Good Experience, Horrible hours and $$$

Jean Expert/Stylist (Current Employee) Etobicoke, ON

ProsWorking here is an amazing experience, it's fun, it's upbeat, and everyone is truly so amazing. The customers are generally always friendly, you can learn a lot about what it's like to work in retail, and there are many available oppourtunities for employee development ( I became and stylist and jean expert after just a few months of working there, strictly based on performance) As well, if you're good at making sales the experience will be a much better one. If you're an associate you get 12 items for 60% off every month and stylist/jean experts get 12 items for 60% off and 3 for 80% off every month.

ConsThe challenges are very FEW hours, I mean once a week for 4 hours... As well, you have to call in every thursday just to find out if you are working at all the next week and when. Also, for the schedule they have something called an on call, meaning lets say you were scheduled from 12 -4, you can have an on call til 8 and they won't tell you until the end of your shift which makes it extremely difficult to make plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire 70+ people and hire fewer to provide more hours and oppourtunites.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

general manager

General Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgreat leader ship and marketing and planning

Conswork every weekend, not enough visits from leadership

Advice to Senior Managementtwo weekends a month, ability to buy shares with company commitment

For my first retail job its okay

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsGreat discounts and you meet lots of friends

ConsRetail is retail, when you're not in a good mood you have to force yourself to be happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementZone people in their desired area.

Often expected too much.

Sales/Stock (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally a very good atmosphere. Great discount, good people, and if your availability allows it, you have the opportunity to learn a lot. I did everything I was allowed to as a part-timer -- sales, cash, stock, visual merchandising, floor sets, fits. It was a lot of fun and had really great holiday hours.

ConsI worked there for a year and it felt like the requirements to remain an employee got higher and higher as time went on. By the end of my time there, my managers were stressed out for fear of losing their jobs -- because we weren't selling enough in our suburb mall location. As with all retail jobs, they're reluctant to promote anyone and take advantage of their turnover (meaning, there will always be another 16-year-old kid who will take your job if you don't like it).

Perfect school job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Lethbridge, AB

ProsManagement treats you with respect while still keeping an employer-employee relationship. Makes you genuinely care about sales targets and KPIs. Excellent organization from head office; minimal miscommunication

ConsMany underage associates with less than desired work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide mini contests on big promotion weekends to make associates excited to sell

Okay

ProsThe discounts is really good.

ConsYou get a lot of hours one week and none the next.

Great student job!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsVery Flexible for hours with student's
    Great Staff community
    Boss' are great
    Great place to work for the last 3 years

ConsToo many call in's
    Work becomes tedious
    Too many employee's not enough hours to go around

Mediocre

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat team to work with

ConsWork is repititive and not that interesting

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower sales associates

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!