American Eagle Outfitters

Updated 30 September, 2014
3.4

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 142 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours MAY sometimes be based off how many credit cards one may get a customer to signup for (in 88 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great student employer

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Saint John's, NL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint John's, NL

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible scheduling, great company culture, great store atmosphere.

Cons

Can be chaotic at times. Could provide better training to front line staff.

Engage more with the stores and front lone staff.

Great experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Laval, QC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Laval, QC

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of "perks"
    Great discount on mercy
    Fun contests to win free stuff

Cons

Small shifts (3 hrs) for part time employees

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time

Pros

Amazing discount
    Great work environment
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

They hire lots of employees and then schedule very little hours, on average 4 hours a week, sometimes more, sometimes not at all. It makes it tough for us employees as we then have to get second jobs and then have to work out the availability, and if they then don't schedule us still in the time slotted, its a bit frustrating.

Don't hire every outgoing person that walks through the doors unless its Christmas! We all agree and talk about how nice it would be if you guys didn't hire so many employees and just scheduled more hours for each one :( That way we can know our stock much better as well if we are in more often!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its retail!

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time

Pros

Busy, opportunities to advance within. Good health benefits if full time. Variety of staff and customers.

Cons

No payroll, store opening hours. No training hours apart from 4 hour orientation. Working with large management teams can get hard. Scheduling is not good with home life. Need to be single and focus only on work.

great experience but horrible district manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning experience if you want to move into higher end or big box environment, they move management around to different areas of business which works well

Cons

the district manager seems to work against you instead of with you. at different times of the day either the DM will call and yell at you or have another manager call and quiz you about whats going on

keep a closer eye on DMs and treat management as well as you want them to treat associates

Good Experience, Horrible hours and $$$

Current Employee - Jean Expert/Stylist  in  Etobicoke, ON
    Current Employee - Jean Expert/Stylist in Etobicoke, ON

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working here is an amazing experience, it's fun, it's upbeat, and everyone is truly so amazing. The customers are generally always friendly, you can learn a lot about what it's like to work in retail, and there are many available oppourtunities for employee development ( I became and stylist and jean expert after just a few months of working there, strictly based on performance) As well, if you're good at making sales the experience will be a much better one. If you're an associate you get 12 items for 60% off every month and stylist/jean experts get 12 items for 60% off and 3 for 80% off every month.

Cons

The challenges are very FEW hours, I mean once a week for 4 hours... As well, you have to call in every thursday just to find out if you are working at all the next week and when. Also, for the schedule they have something called an on call, meaning lets say you were scheduled from 12 -4, you can have an on call til 8 and they won't tell you until the end of your shift which makes it extremely difficult to make plans.

Don't hire 70+ people and hire fewer to provide more hours and oppourtunites.

general manager

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - General Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great leader ship and marketing and planning

Cons

work every weekend, not enough visits from leadership

two weekends a month, ability to buy shares with company commitment

For my first retail job its okay

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discounts and you meet lots of friends

Cons

Retail is retail, when you're not in a good mood you have to force yourself to be happy.

Zone people in their desired area.

Love! Hired twice by this company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate and Overnight Merchandiser  in  London, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate and Overnight Merchandiser in London, ON

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and great customers! Flexible hours. Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends. Love my Manager, he is friendly and involved. I feel comfortable talking to him about anything. You have the opportunity to be a sales associate on the floor, or back of house as a merchandiser or stock. They allow days off for school or previous commitments (volunteering, Doctor appointments, etc.)

Cons

Wage (But, this is expected with retail)

Hold onto the good workers! I've seen many people leave because of lack of hours and/or pay.

Often expected too much.

Former Employee - Sales/Stock
    Former Employee - Sales/Stock

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally a very good atmosphere. Great discount, good people, and if your availability allows it, you have the opportunity to learn a lot. I did everything I was allowed to as a part-timer -- sales, cash, stock, visual merchandising, floor sets, fits. It was a lot of fun and had really great holiday hours.

Cons

I worked there for a year and it felt like the requirements to remain an employee got higher and higher as time went on. By the end of my time there, my managers were stressed out for fear of losing their jobs -- because we weren't selling enough in our suburb mall location. As with all retail jobs, they're reluctant to promote anyone and take advantage of their turnover (meaning, there will always be another 16-year-old kid who will take your job if you don't like it).

American Eagle Outfitters Photos

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!