American Cancer Society

Updated 22 February, 2015
3.1

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been volunteering in ACS and they were so nice

Former Intern - Volunteering
    Former Intern - Volunteering

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

it is a good place to start or stay I believe

Cons

Since I've been volunteering there I can not really judge them base on payment or compensation but the company seems really liable and reasonable to start with

Good cause, bad business

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great cause, lots of PTO, the volunteers are amazing, good benefits package.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of Relay for Life Specialists. Lots of nights and weekends with little to no compensation relative to work.

Management is incompetent, ineffective, and consistently maintains "we've always done it this way" mentality. It's not uncommon to see subordinates who are more educated than their Senior Manager (ie. managers with no degree after high school, no management experience whatsoever).

Numerous useless meetings and "team building" events cutting into one's time to complete job effectively.

Almost no upward mobility or chance of promotion. If "promoted" there's often little or no pay raise. Good employees are overlooked for outside talent, leading to HIGH turnover.

Consistent lack of professionalism in the work place by management.

Whatever you do DO NOT work here. You will regret it and quit, as have half the people in my office since I started within the last 6 months.

Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great group work setting. Positive environment. Hands on work. Great employees. Active work space

Cons

I do not have any cons to share.

None

The American Cancer Society was a nice place to work up until the process of "transformation"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Definitely a worthy cause. Overall great environment. Certainly good benefits. Many good-hearted individuals.

Cons

There is the American Cancer Society pre "transformation" and post transformation. While it is a great thing for a company to remove it's inefficiencies, I think the American Cancer Society's transformation process might have removed it's soul. Time will certainly tell. It is not really clear what innovation or community service it's being done, at least at the local level.

I'm afraid you've through the baby with the bath water.

Rewarding, yet challenging

Current Employee - Community Manager, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Community Manager, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent pay for the area, great benefits and vacation time

Cons

High turnover, management is not transparent, long work hours, lots of evenings and weekends, fundraising for a 30 year old event is a struggle

less of a work load for community managers, better compensation for the hours put in

Relay For Life Specialist

Current Employee - Relay Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Relay Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've had the chance to meet wonderful people And make a difference (even in a small way) helping cancer patients and their families.

Cons

Staff morale is way down. Tranformation is a joke. Require too much 'volunteering' from employees. Pay is very low for Relay staff who are the ones doing the majority of the work at ACS. Strides and Gala staff have 1 or 2 events while Relay staff has 4 and is paid far less.

Listen and ask for feedback from staff. Stop hiring outside people when you can train the staff that know your orginization. The turnover rate is extremely high becuase you do not listen. Tranformation is a joke. Community engangement staff are the biggest waste of ACS funds their is. The pay is absolutely pathetic for Relay staff and they are the ones bringing in the majority of the funds. The benefits are average but very expensive for a family...Someone making under $40,0000 (ya that's pathetic and what they pay their worker bees) only actually brings homes less than $500 a week for working 60+ hours and being away from your family at night. Wake up ACS all of your long time dedicated staff are leaving for a reason.

Senior Relationship Manager

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great training, teamwork, motivated by the "mission"

Cons

Constant emphasis on raising money, recruiting volunteers, data entry

Provide appreciation for those who are working directly with volunteers, doing data entry

Direct Supervisor made job very difficult

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Meeting and establishing relationships with the volunteers

Cons

Always on the road, long days/nights

Working for a cause

Former Employee - Shared Services Staff in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Shared Services Staff in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive pay, meaningful work, hard working co workers, excellent time off and other benefits

Cons

none that I can recall

Enjoyed working for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer as a Team Recruiter.

Former Employee - MSABC Team Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - MSABC Team Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Part-time 30 hours per week, calling local corporations to find that special person to be the team leader (form company team) have them attend kick-off breakfast, raise funds for breast cancer research. Touching to hear stories from survivors and recently diagnosed patients.

Cons

Need to have events through-out the year to keep people engaged in raising breast cancer awareness.

Need to have more communication with the planning committee comprised of volunteers - BIG disconnect !

American Cancer Society Photos