American Cancer Society

Updated 24 January, 2015
3.2

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been volunteering in ACS and they were so nice

Former Employee - Volunteering
    Former Employee - Volunteering

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

it is a good place to start or stay I believe

Cons

Since I've been volunteering there I can not really judge them base on payment or compensation but the company seems really liable and reasonable to start with

Good cause, bad business

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great cause, lots of PTO, the volunteers are amazing, good benefits package.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of Relay for Life Specialists. Lots of nights and weekends with little to no compensation relative to work.

Management is incompetent, ineffective, and consistently maintains "we've always done it this way" mentality. It's not uncommon to see subordinates who are more educated than their Senior Manager (ie. managers with no degree after high school, no management experience whatsoever).

Numerous useless meetings and "team building" events cutting into one's time to complete job effectively.

Almost no upward mobility or chance of promotion. If "promoted" there's often little or no pay raise. Good employees are overlooked for outside talent, leading to HIGH turnover.

Consistent lack of professionalism in the work place by management.

Whatever you do DO NOT work here. You will regret it and quit, as have half the people in my office since I started within the last 6 months.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and always helpful. Every event was a success.

Cons

Was not a paid internship. Sometimes they just gave me busy work because there wasn't enough to do. Made many cold calls which helped my customer service skills but it made the day seem to last forever.

If you are going to hire multiple interns, make sure there is enough to be done. You guys really only needed one intern.

Great company, kind people working towards making a difference.

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

office culture, leadership, smart and hardworking persons

Cons

low budget to hire on interns full-time

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Patient Navigator
    Current Employee - Patient Navigator

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Time off. Flexible schedules. Independent. Proud of the work you do. Making a difference

Cons

there has been been changes over the last year and many layoffs. This has created a lot of uncertainty and anxiety about whether we will have a job in 6 months

Awesome place to work

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

I enjoyed meeting new clients and getting them ready for the upcoming fundraising events.

Cons

I wish it was a year round campaign as it would allow more companies to get involved earlier to fundraise.

Has potential to be a great employer but many things need changed.

Current Employee - Income Development Representative in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Income Development Representative in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time off is the best I have ever had. You are not micromanaged, and you set your own schedule based on volunteers needs and it is flexible. Working with passionate volunteers is the best part of the job.

Cons

Now the bad....Training is the worst that I have experienced, and I used to be a trainer for other companies so I know what it should look like. There are way too many 'Seniors, Directors, Chiefs' but not enough people actually in the field supporting the mission. The organization is extremely large, but the most disorganized. Training and resources never come out before the change, plans are rarely implemented, and deadlines are thrown on you last minute. The pay is extremely low for the things that field staff do on a daily basis especially when you see other staff partners salaries. And they use so many different systems that are outdated and inefficient.

ASK for feedback from your field staff partners. Send out an employee satisfaction survey a few times a year and LISTEN to what is being told. The turnover rate is extremely high and it's for a reason. The pay is pathetic for Relay staff and yet they are the ones bringing in the most funds. They work the crazy hours, become the only ACS staff in the majority of the communities, and deal with so many other things outside of their job description, and so much more, the pay should be fair.

Mixed experience-great environment, mission, but not as much of a work-life balance as there needs to be.

Current Employee - Field Staff in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Field Staff in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers and people really believe in the mission. Benefits are not bad. Great vacation time off right from the start and grows quickly.

Cons

High level management is really out of touch with the rank and file. No work life balance in many positions. Pay is not good for the hours worked. Not nearly enough recognition by managers of the good work staff are doing. Whatever you are doing, it is not good enough, and you need to be doing more. But, more still isn't enough.

Get more connected to the rank and file employees. Encourage a work-life balance and allow and promote flexible working options.

Tough hours, good work, little work life balance

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is incredibly important, and there are so many rewarding moments. Meet many people in the community, build many relationships.

Cons

Long hours, little work life balance, a lot of favoritism that limits the ability to move up and progress professionally unless you have the right "friends up top".

Consider skills and abilities when working with employees, not just who has the right connections. Trust employees and understand that they have lives that need tending, and in order to produce the best work sometimes you must give priority to your employee's personal lives.

Very large company, but they do make an effort to tie everyone into the mission

Former Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company
    Flexible schedules
    Lots of cross-departmental collaborating
    Some room for advancement
    Good time off package

Cons

Hard to stand out
    Executive team on an island
    Most of executive team members are "packaged together"
    Easy to get stuck in the same position for a very long time
    Each change in management usually means widespread layoffs/re-orgs

American Cancer Society Photos