American Cancer Society

Updated 21 November, 2014
3.2

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

• A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 53 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been volunteering in ACS and they were so nice

Former Employee - Volunteering
    Former Employee - Volunteering

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

it is a good place to start or stay I believe

Cons

Since I've been volunteering there I can not really judge them base on payment or compensation but the company seems really liable and reasonable to start with

Good cause, bad business

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great cause, lots of PTO, the volunteers are amazing, good benefits package.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of Relay for Life Specialists. Lots of nights and weekends with little to no compensation relative to work.

Management is incompetent, ineffective, and consistently maintains "we've always done it this way" mentality. It's not uncommon to see subordinates who are more educated than their Senior Manager (ie. managers with no degree after high school, no management experience whatsoever).

Numerous useless meetings and "team building" events cutting into one's time to complete job effectively.

Almost no upward mobility or chance of promotion. If "promoted" there's often little or no pay raise. Good employees are overlooked for outside talent, leading to HIGH turnover.

Consistent lack of professionalism in the work place by management.

Whatever you do DO NOT work here. You will regret it and quit, as have half the people in my office since I started within the last 6 months.

ACS Amazing :)

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is always a friendly atmosphere among coworkers who want to work together to end the fight! Of course it is a great cause and they find creative ways to reach their missions and goals. Great management that regulates but does not control!

Cons

I only worked as an intern so I really did not have many cons. I know some of the workers had some difficulty with long hours during Relay season--but if you love what you're doing than the hours do not matter as much and they all did!

Hands-off management over the specialists in community events and Relay is key. They know how many hours they need to be in the office vs. out with volunteers and sponsors--do not harshly control them for the best results!

most fulfilling

Former Employee - Intern in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great mission and vision, helping cancer patients.

Cons

the pay could be a little better.

Great Experience

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Rewarding, and great stepping stone

Cons

Just do your job, and you will do great

Supportive Working Environment

Current Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

ACS is a well respected non-profit organization that treats its employees well. I work at the National Cancer Information Center (NCIC) in Austin, TX. There is constant opportunities to better one's knowledge and skill set. Supervisors and management are very supportive. Great benefits, PTO, VTO, paid holidays, health insurance, etc.

Cons

The job is high demanding, but this should be obvious. Cancer is ever prevalent in our community as is patient needs making call volume high. Plus, NCIC is open 24/7/365.

None

A Great Place To Work

I have been working at American Cancer Society as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

A good work/life balance (except for the days of the events, which is normal) great pay for a temp non profit job, friendly colleagues and an easy going atmosphere.

Cons

It is a little stressful because of the season and the work involved, but it's par for the course.

Make sure that the managers communicate effectively and completely with the employees.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Distinguished Events Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Distinguished Events Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training and patient managers

Cons

Short staffed in regards to administrative staff

Great coworkers and very dedicated, passionate volunteers!

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits and strong values that encourage a healthy work / life balance. Good office environment. For those that are passionate about reducing the burden of cancer, the ACS mission will enable you to fulfill that passion.

Cons

Constant change within the organization often leaves employees feeling under appreciated and insecure. As with any company, the "rules" are bent for some staff and not for others, so promotion is often about who you know and not how well you've performed.

Offer career growth opportunities and develop a clear path for promotion. Review the salary structure, particularly for community-based staff, because it is woefully inadequate to entice highly qualified professionals to stay for more than a few years.

Great company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

ACS offers a really good work environment and supports a great mission. It's nice that there are jobs available all over the country. The medical benefits I had were GREAT and they offered several options. ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance.

Cons

Low pay (in a non-profit it's kind of expected!), limited room for growth depending on your desired areas.

American Cancer Society Photos