American Cancer Society

Updated 15 December, 2014
3.2

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been volunteering in ACS and they were so nice

Former Employee - Volunteering
    Former Employee - Volunteering

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

it is a good place to start or stay I believe

Cons

Since I've been volunteering there I can not really judge them base on payment or compensation but the company seems really liable and reasonable to start with

Good cause, bad business

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great cause, lots of PTO, the volunteers are amazing, good benefits package.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of Relay for Life Specialists. Lots of nights and weekends with little to no compensation relative to work.

Management is incompetent, ineffective, and consistently maintains "we've always done it this way" mentality. It's not uncommon to see subordinates who are more educated than their Senior Manager (ie. managers with no degree after high school, no management experience whatsoever).

Numerous useless meetings and "team building" events cutting into one's time to complete job effectively.

Almost no upward mobility or chance of promotion. If "promoted" there's often little or no pay raise. Good employees are overlooked for outside talent, leading to HIGH turnover.

Consistent lack of professionalism in the work place by management.

Whatever you do DO NOT work here. You will regret it and quit, as have half the people in my office since I started within the last 6 months.

Overall loved the experience

Current Employee - Special Events Coordinator in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Special Events Coordinator in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

compensation, perks, working with a positive team

Cons

inefficient, lack of structure, training

Electoral organizer

Former Employee - Electoral Organizer in Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Electoral Organizer in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, flexibility and independence to complete tasks at own pace

Cons

Not much room for lower level staff to influence management, large institution

Support current staff with trainings and in house promotions, there wasn't enough room for growth within the organization

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

cause, people, culture, work/life balance, flexibility

Cons

Some confusion during light restructure though. Not enough growth opportunity. Non-profit level salaries

people are your best asset. take care of them.

It's been delightful

Current Employee - Patient Resource Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Patient Resource Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

You work with great people

Cons

Caseload can keep you busy if you don't keep up, they have a weird "sick time" policy where you can't have "unscheduled absences" more than twice in a "rolling quarter", Full-Time is actually only 37.5 hrs a wk so you get paid less

Nice team

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Really nice team
    Environment. Exciting fun work

Cons

Low pay. Some young people promoted too fast

On the job training for certain jobs

ACS Amazing :)

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is always a friendly atmosphere among coworkers who want to work together to end the fight! Of course it is a great cause and they find creative ways to reach their missions and goals. Great management that regulates but does not control!

Cons

I only worked as an intern so I really did not have many cons. I know some of the workers had some difficulty with long hours during Relay season--but if you love what you're doing than the hours do not matter as much and they all did!

Hands-off management over the specialists in community events and Relay is key. They know how many hours they need to be in the office vs. out with volunteers and sponsors--do not harshly control them for the best results!

Alarmingly Unstable

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Friendly work force.

Cons

Top-heavy and bureaucratic. The organization is trying to raise money through saving money and it's failing miserably. They have cut too many staff positions and streamlined processes until the point of ineffectiveness . No one can get their job done and staff are leaving (or want to leave) in droves. .

There is ample evidence that your so-called "vision" is not working as you expected. Admit you were wrong and start the process of rebuilding the organization before it's totally ruined. Don't just fire the people that disagree with you or tell you that your over-simplified ideas aren't viable. Consultants aren't always right about things. This is proof positive of that. If you believe your legacy will be that you transformed the ACS, you are very wrong. Instead, you will be remembered as the one who ran it into the ground. Sooner or later, this will all catch up with you. It's such a shame. A sad, sad, state of affairs.

Dissatisfying and Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Good mission, however I'm not sure that mission is being met. Great funding in the past 100 years that has led to great advances in cancer research over the past 100 years that have really changed how the disease is managed, however I don't think there are current strides to make progressive changes. Good to normal benefits, but poor pay as expected with a non-profit.

Cons

Poor office culture at least in my regional office, no enthusiasm in employees or management. It takes so long to make any progressive changes to the point that innovation is basically discouraged. Policies implemented in the 80s are still current, little to no technology. Disconnected from the needs of the current healthcare system. I was very surprised that my coworkers have no knowledge of the Affordable Care Act or other current issues in healthcare. Closed door policy.

Encourage innovation and change. It's the only way to affect healthcare and cancer treatment.

American Cancer Society Photos