American Cancer Society

Updated 18 September, 2014
3.1

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 31 reviews)

• A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 49 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been volunteering in ACS and they were so nice

Former Employee - Volunteering
    Former Employee - Volunteering

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern for less than a year

Pros

it is a good place to start or stay I believe

Cons

Since I've been volunteering there I can not really judge them base on payment or compensation but the company seems really liable and reasonable to start with

At the end of the day, I know that I have helped in the fight against cancer. That's a great feeling.

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When someone you love is dying from cancer and there's nothing you can do to stop it, you feel so helpless. When you work at ACS, you know you are doing all you can to prevent another person, another family from having to go through what you have. Prevent, Care, Cure, Advocate - that is what we do and I am proud of it.

Cons

Never lose site of the mission. In today's world, this can happen all too often with everyone trying and failing to get it all done. We need to focus more on quality rather and quantity and remember that we are who cancer patients and families turn to in their hour of need. We need more staff who are mission-driven.

"If it ain't broke - don't fix it." There's an Italian restaurant that still uses a hank crank ravioli machine that's almost 100 years old. It's old, not flashy, and it requires a human touch to make it work. It still cranks out the best ravioli in town. New and improved may seem like a good idea but it isn't always the best way to go.

Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Generous with paid time off

Cons

Generous with PTO if you can find time to take it!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good for getting some experience to put on resume.

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount, nice staff, easygoing manager, very clean store

Cons

Volunteer position, pretty much just that.

Great Atmosphere and Cause

Former Employee - Procurement  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Procurement in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good compensation, work-life balance, people, and cause. The atmosphere is very supportive and I enjoyed working here immensely. All employees are committed to eliminating cancer.

Cons

Could have focused more on cost-savings. The organization is a little too focused on keeping everyone happy and could stress high-performance in more situations.

Keep doing what you are doing, but stress optimal performance with clear incentives. These do not have to be financial incentives, but high performance could be measured and rewarded more often.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Account Representative - Partner Relationships
    Current Employee - Account Representative - Partner Relationships

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic work life balance opportunity. Every day you get to make a difference in the lives of current and future cancer patients and caregivers. It feels great to know you are working to make the world a better place instead of a company's bottom line. No day is ever the same!! Truly the best job I have ever had!

Cons

The company is quite conservative with the "good ol' boys" club at the top. It is seems when someone who is a bit more progressive and ready to take us in to the next century of fighting cancer at the c-suite level, they convienently are "no longer with the company". Nevertheless, the compensation could be a bit more competitive and there is overall lack of investment in employess (tuition reimbursement, advancement, etc).

My advice to management is to stop PREACHING that your employess are your biggest assest and start SHOWING us! Invest in us!! You may be surprised that turn over will decline and stability in certain market shares will be restored. Furthemore, to eliminate cancer in the next century we must start thinking and acting more progressively. Manage the company like a forturne 1,000 corporation not a non-profit! And lastly, stop with the politically correct language when addressing staff. We are much smarter than I feel you give us a credit for. We can read through the lines! Being transparent is speaking honestly and direclty not spewing p.c. jargon to redirect our concerns.

Community Events Positions, RFL

Current Employee - Specialist, Community Events  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist, Community Events in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a great way to jump headfirst into working on large-scale events and engaging in the communities you are assigned to. You have to opportunity to meet a lot of people, work with some amazing volunteers and spend your days fighting cancer. It is very fulfilling work.

Cons

ACS is still working through the kinks of a nationwide re-organization and restructuring. We went from being 13 orgs across the nation to 1 and are still trying to figure out exactly what that means. People are still trying to figure out exactly what their new job is and there is often confusion about who to contact for support with what.
    The event positions require a good amount of nights and weekends to be able to fully engage with your communities. These things can be a lot of fun, but it is time out of what is usually considered your personal time. I've often felt that too many events are give to Relay For Life staff. It is really difficult to do 4 events in a summer, especially if you do not have full committees for each event.
    Managers vary from office to office. I have worked with 2 great managers and one that was a little too hands off.

Take a look at the workloads of event staff and figure out how much time they are putting in. Re-evaluate how many events are truly needed in each region.

Good work environment

Current Employee - Patient Resource Specialist  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Patient Resource Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastically supportive management and team mates. The company does try to do very small things to show appreciation. There are regular coffee days, when some colleagues will provide "HEB Special Roast" coffee. At some times, the organization will give its workers pizza or cake. Mostly, Co workers will band together to have pot lucks .

Cons

Low pay, increasingly constricting work environment and less flexibility. You have to clock in and out, which makes one feel less fulfilled as a person and more like a cog in a machine. The company doesn't consult any ground floor members before making large decisions. Currently, the organization is going through an abundance of change as it relies less on its local offices. This may be a positive if you enjoy working in a regularly changing environment.

Listen to those on the ground level before making drastic changes, at least a small group or committee.

Struggling organization

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Volunteer interaction, paid days off, local office is wonderful, open environment.

Cons

zero work/like balance if you are a Relay Specialist. work on average 50 to 55 hours a week and that is not including time spent on computer responding/reading e-mails. New structure allows staff with certain titles to work 37 hours a week while those with income titles, Relay, start their days at 7:00 am and work until 9:0o pm most days and still cannot reach goals.

Get out of your cushy office chair and staff an event. Most leadership has not interacted with volunteers on a day to day basis in 20 years. People live differently, work differently and volunteer differently. What you ask of Relay Specialist is not possible unless we put our family on the back burner. That is why turn over is so high. You can throw all the salaries, time off and lip service as you want at Relay staff but until you truly adopt changes that matter you will continue to see burned out employees and high turn over.

Old org. Old mission. Fundraising to Support Executive Salaries

Former Employee - Patient Service Specialist  in  Mendota Heights, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Patient Service Specialist in Mendota Heights, MN (US)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

The amount of Vacation Days

Cons

The org is focused on financial sustainability. Top Heavy monster that does nothing for innovative and preventive cancer research.

You need to socialize your salaries :)

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!