American Airlines Reviews

Updated 29 August, 2014

3.1

American Airlines CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you know how to roll the dice with non-reving (in 135 reviews)

• working with some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, travel benefits (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management is making it very difficult to want to stay (in 20 reviews)

• In order to advance you have to know someone in upper management (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding in most cases

Current Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Toronto, ON

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management communicate with employees on the progress of the company

Cons

Some lower level supervisors appears to have little or no interest of the staff they supervised

Provide ongoing management and supervisory training to lower level supervisors.

American Airlines is a great company to be a part of

Current Employee - Home Based Sales Representative  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Home Based Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility to make your schedule almost anything you want, friendly coworkers and managers

Cons

Can't relocate just anywhere, has to be within 75 miles of an office

Give the lower employees more credit, they can handle more tasks.

Challenging but the people make it worth it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at American Airlines full-time

Pros

Travel!
    Good brand to work for.
    Work with good people - great team spirit in LON team.

Cons

Expect a lot from each individual, compensation is lower than similar roles in other airlines. Difficult time for the airline post merger. Merger of staff could have been handled better.

Keep focusing on training of employees. HR need to keep employees in mind instead of just the organisation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company with a lot of potential and working towards being great.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great and wiling to help
    Good company culture
    Flight benefits are amazing and managers are understanding about leaving early on a friday or reaching late on a monday to make a flight
    Rotational program where you can change jobs every year or so gives you a good understanding of the whole industry

Cons

Lack of formalized training. Most of the training is done on the job by peers
    Building and setup are very old and could use changing. There is also no free coffee or tea

Keep doing what you're doing to get the airline on top

I had to give up everything and was homeless after my Job I loved and devoted my heart too was taken away from me

Former Employee - Passenger Service Representative  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Passenger Service Representative in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at American Airlines part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyday is different and u meet all types off people.. There's never a dull moment @ the airport

Cons

Pleasing a customer who's mad about delays, cancellations or the fact that they're late for a flight.

Make decisions with you heart.. not always your mind.. We're all humans and need to earn a living.

Great place to work...

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Coral Gables, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Coral Gables, FL (US)

I have been working at American Airlines part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management, processes, organizational communication, compensation. Management served as mentors. Wonderful values and ethics policies. The managers were highly organized and goal-oriented. Exceptional leadership.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities. Management should devise a plan to retain interns or part-time staff. However, this office closed. Unfortunately, there should have been a plan to transfer lower, but vital, personnel to other locations.

It has been good company to work for, but I'm concerned about the future.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Since it is a large company there are a lot of opportunities to move around and try positions that are of interest to you. For those who like to travel the flight benefits are nice although it can be difficult getting on a flight.

Cons

The merger has created some issues since the 2 companies have very different cultures and ways of doing things. There are people on both sides who don't care to listen to what the other sides has to say which has caused a divide

Good Ole Boy System , STILL.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Airport personnel is really nice, HDQ is centralized to DFW.

Cons

Bad Management, hateful employees, IT Infrastructure is old and lacking, no ownership, inconsistent on policies and procedures. They let all their legacy knowledge walk out the door. Main concern is keeping planes in the air.

EMPLOYEE RETENTION. Proper checks and balances and get rid of the Good Ole Boy systems. One final statement.. Managers/Directors should not have personal relationships with their staff outside of work...

Summer MBA Internship

Current Employee - Strategy & Marketing Analyst - MBA  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Strategy & Marketing Analyst - MBA in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at American Airlines as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Ups and downs, good and bad, the people who work there love it. That was always a very positive element. As a lifelong aviation enthusiast I fit in very well and my knowledge of the industry really helped me connect with people during my interviews. Work-life balance doesn't get much better than this, though I know the MBA intern in the fleet planning department was worked like a dog.

Performance and fit were rewarded, with the best interns getting full-time offers but quite a few not receiving them.

Employees themselves really varied. There were some incredible people in middle management and some good and less than stellar people in senior management.

Flight benefits are great if you don't mind the whole standby aspect.

Cons

Compensation is good for Texas but not as good as coastal cities in the US. There's a bit of a heads-down aspect to the work here without a lot of group interactions and projects, which was hard as group energy makes me thrive.

The MBA internship program is good but could be developed further. Once they have you in they don't do as much to really keep you there or make you feel truly valued or desired. When debating whether or not to accept a full time offer, my MBA intern college actually had a team member say to her, "What are you waiting for? If you don't say yes, we have a ton of people waiting who will." Not really the greatest message to send.

The non-rev flight benefits were never that attractive to me because you really don't ever know if you're going somewhere, especially in the summer. I heard stories of employees getting pulled off a plane when a paying customer showed up. It was always frustrating to have friends call and say, "So when do you get in?" and have to respond, "I don't know if I'm even getting on the plane yet"

With the US/AA merger, make sure things don't get dumbed-down to the US Airways level. Marketing, advertising, experience are all major aspects of travel. I know the incoming US Airways leadership doesn't believe in this, and that is a shame

Decent place, but promotions go to the "golden children"

Former Employee - Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nearly-free travel, albeit stand-by is harder than it used to be. Large company, so lateral moves are available. Culture and work-life balance generally good, but varies substantially by department.

Cons

With only marginal growth, very limited upward opportunities; merger-related disruption likely to continue through next year and results in additional redundancies

Move through the US integration as quickly as possible to bring some semblance of stability to employees

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!