AmeriGas Reviews

72 reviews filtered by
2.8
AmeriGas President & CEO Jerry E. Sheridan
Jerry E. Sheridan

Pros
  • Great people as far as peers and the next level of management up (in 4 reviews)

• The overtime hours, depending on the route, can be substantial and add a tidy sum to the paycheck (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, pay isn't that great and the "raise" they give you every year is a joke - 1-3%, yeah way to keep up with that cost of living (in 3 reviews)

• Work-life balance does not exist in this company (in 3 reviews)

1. Nice co-workers. Nice environment. Great place to gain experience.

I have been working at AmeriGas

Pros

The title says it all.

Cons

I do not have any cons

2. Not bad, not great. Definitely good company to start gaining experience, can't stay with the pay though.

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, coworkers are nice. Everyone is helping everyone else

Cons

Managers aren't really there to help you, definitely rely on your coworkers. Pay is absolute garbage, it's okay starting but it doesn't get much better though.

3. Delivery rep

Current Employee - Delivery Representative in Gridley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Delivery Representative in Gridley, CA (US)

I have been working at AmeriGas part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Count on acting like a true large corp buracuracy

Cons

Company has no respect for employees and minimal amount for clients, profits are the bottom line

Advice to Management

Be competitive and respect loyal employees

5. Just okay.

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time

Pros

A lot of vacation/sick days, flexible schedule

Cons

Physically strenuous, hazardous work environment, poor management.

Advice to Management

Management needs better planning and more leadership abilities.

6. Work - Life Balance = 85-15

Former Employee - Bulk Route Delivery Driver in High Point, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Bulk Route Delivery Driver in High Point, NC (US)

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smaller community offices make it feel more like a small company atmosphere. This does often lead to gossip and favoritism, however.

Cons

Winter hours are insane with bulk truck drivers working crazy hours. If you were the one stuck with on call duty for the week it was even worse. You may be out at 3 or 4 in the morning working but still expected to be back @ 7am for the regular work day.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees the way you want to be treated and you may be able to maintain quality standards.

7. In my opinion, very false about appreciating drivers.

Former Employee - Cylinder Exchange Driver in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Cylinder Exchange Driver in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you rate a driver on talents and skills and the possibility of advancing into management, Metrolift is NOT the place to go.

Cons

I dedicated 5 years to this company, and ever since Amerigas "merged" wit heritage Propane in January 2013, I feel it's been a downhill battle. You don't get to be the largest by being dependent of your employees. You find ways to cut back to keep the income flow in the company and not share with the employees. I did a lot more than deliver. I did my own paperwork processing, uploading and downloading in my computer at home after hours, was always there for out of gas calls in the middle of the night, etc. All I got was terminated for a camera issue that costs nearly 900 dollars and an additional 500 dollars to maintain per year. I just wished the upper management, and I don't mean my district manager, would ride with a driver like I offered for a few days to get the feel of what one of their drivers really go through

Advice to Management

Appreciate your drivers properly. Leave your office and ride with a diver for a day and see your responses a little differently. 8 hours in an office is a big difference than doing 20 plus route stops per day.

8. I loved everything except the mix up that the had to let me go

Former Contractor - Customer Payment Options Representative in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I worked at AmeriGas as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for,great benefits and atmosphere.

Cons

There upper and lower management does not communicate well.

Advice to Management

Don't start temp to hire Positions and not communicate between upper and lower that the position was promised to an employee in the future. It would have been great to have a long term opportunity with you all.

9. Large Company, many options, know your goals and they will help you.

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Hazelwood, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Hazelwood, MO (US)

I worked at AmeriGas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has many benefits. Best of all is PROFIT SHARING!!! This is the only company that I have ever worked for that offers this.

Cons

My opinion is that they understaff, which; makes the job harder than it should be. I delivered forklift cylinders. My state does not allow on-site fueling. So after deliveries were made we(the drivers) had to unload our trucks, refill the cylinders and reload the trucks. The work load was terribly distributed among drivers. They have cameras in the trucks(not at all locations).

Advice to Management

Open the door to the "Open Door Policy" even more. Remove customer growth off the drivers. They have enough to do. Get away from the fear of a Union. Unions are great for both company and worker. Create a base starting pay for drivers regardless of the type of driving.

Worst company ever worked for

Current Employee - Local Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Local Truck Driver

I have been working at AmeriGas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had\ too many jobs in my life. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for, bar none. From the top management on down, there is little regard for the safety of the employees, little regard for the needs of the customers. The top management have never driven a truck or dragged a hose in all kinds of weather. You are a statistic. College grads with far too little practical experience judge you and set the criteria. DO NOT EVER ACCEPT A JOB WITH THIS COMPANY. And this is the best I can say.

Cons

Read everything in the pros and multiply it ten fold and you have the cons in this company. I am embarrassed to be the face of such incompetence and lack of caring for the customer. I will be leaving as soon as I have fou nd the right job for me. If you are desperate for a job, don't work here. Collect food stamps, go on welfare. Just don't accept this torture.

Advice to Management

Spend one month with a driver in February in a truck pulling a hose and doing all the manual labor. Work all of the hours required of the drivers including over the DOT limit. When that driver is on call at night, go with him and do all the labor. If you are still with the company at the end of that month, start basing your decisions on your experience and not your feeble education.

11. Good Company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at AmeriGas as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They really try to keep up the morale of employees. Free pizza and hoagie day once a month and plenty of other small perks throughout the year. It's a good clean environment and most of my coworkers were pleasant.

Cons

Almost everyone starts as a temp and then can be offered a permanent position if they perform well. Bad thing about being a temp is some people are hesitant to teach you anything because they think you'll be leaving in a few months, which turns out to be true a lot. I enjoyed my time here and I learned a lot from those who were willing to teach.

Advice to Management

Create more permanent positions so people will want to stay.