AmeriGas Partners

Be The First To
Add Photos

AmeriGas Partners President & CEO Jerry E. Sheridan

Jerry E. Sheridan

Very professionally run,and seem to care about employees

ProsGood benefits and safety measures

ConsWages are about 2dollars an hour below most other companies

The job is okay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Valley Forge, PA (US)

ProsI like my boss and the people in my department, also, it's a job I know I'll never get fired from - it' impossible to get fired from this place.

ConsManagement and people in their department take zero responsibility and blame everyone else for their short comings. No room for advancement, pay isn't that great and the "raise" they give you every year is a joke - 1-3%, yeah way to keep up with that cost of living!

AmeriGas...room for advancement

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThere Are Plenty Of Opportunities To Work Your Way Up The ladder, But Eventually YOU Get To A Dead zone.

ConsSome times it seems management will tell you what you want to hear, but never follow through. I have interviewed for different positions and was given bogus reasons why I did not get the job. I think too many friends of management get hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think some of the management need some more training on how to deal with conflict.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great intro into oil and gas

ProsGood place to start in the propane industry.

ConsNo structured training program for your position. The environment is filled with long time complaining employees. Although they are the number 1 propane company in the US the pay is low compared to the competition.

So much has changed

ProsGood front line workers. There is a dedicated group of folks that work very hard to help customers. They are out in the field, at customer's homes and working on the phone to ensure the highest quality of customer service.

ConsThe ones that do the most work get the least pay. Front line workers are not given the kind of training they need to take customer service to the next level.
    You have to be very careful what you say and who you say it to. Voicing an opinion will get you fired.
    People are afraid to speak up.
    Good employees are leaving. Anyone with prospects is leaving to find a better place to work. The result is what is left are employees that have no place else to go, no one else wants them.
    Micro management like I have never seen before. People are afraid to take initiative because it might be viewed as trying to over step bounds. The motto is "It's your ship" but the reality is, it is only your ship when there are problems, otherwise, the ship belongs to those above you and if you want to stay employed, you need to do what you are told.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay attention to how many really good people have left. It isn't just the folks that have thrown up their hands in frustration, but those that were let go. Your VP's and Area Directors need more training in how to handle employees. Your VP's and AD's need to be held accountable for turn over of AD's and DM's. We used to hold SSM's responsible for turnover of drivers. Why don't we do the same for those higher up that are either driving people away, or are terminating people that question process or ask for help.

13 years, then goodbye without warning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI liked the local people that I was fortunate to work with

ConsUnbelievably high prices, lack of customer focus (acquire another company so we can add their customers to the mix and then abuse them till they leave - then repeat), politics, politics, politics

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to focus on the core of the business - your customers!! Listen to what THEY are telling you

AmeriGas Review

ProsHas local feel with big corporate backing.
    Great place to start working. Hires within.
    Jerry Sheridan's emphasis on customer service.

ConsHigh prices = unhappy customers.
    Acquisitions from mom + pop shops has caused plenty of unhappy customers.

not the greatest

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Temecula, CA (US)

Proscant think of one good thing to work there the only thing would be is if its the only comapny hireing

Consover worked underpaid, management very poorly, no growth opportunity.

Education in What Not to do

Manager (Current Employee) Valley Forge, PA (US)

ProsHard to come up with anything constructive to say here, AmeriGas is a dysfunctional mess that gets worse and worse each day. On the average day in Valley Forge, I contemplate playing in traffic about a dozen times just to end the shame and embarrassment of associating myself with this disaster.

Cons- Compensation is about 30 - 40% less for most professional jobs than other companies in the area. If you don't believe me, ask a former AmeriGas employee at Airgas or Arkema (aka the AmeriGas alumni associations). A lot of open positions are being filled by temps who have no clue about our industry, which just accelerates the dysfunction.

- Customers hate us. Our prices are higher than competitors, and we charge delivery fees just to show up at your house to pump propane that's overpriced to begin with.

- Our business model revolves around acquisitions so that we can buy customers faster than we lose them. For example, we might lose 1,000 customers in an average month, but if we buy a company with 1,200 customers in the same month, we are a success. WTF doesn't even begin to describe this!!

- Jerry Sheridan fosters a culture that is akin to a political minefield. Good ideas are usually passed over if they involve terms such as "investment" aka spending money, or anything along those lines. Just ask the special projects senior director that just walked out without even giving 2 weeks notice. He came up with good ideas, but the investment parts were stripped out and he got blamed when they didn't work. again, WTF!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do some soul searching before the whole thing comes crashing down.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Professional, courteous and hard working. Quality workmanship!!!!!!

Service Tech (Current Employee) Seneca, SC (US)

ProsIt looks like tough, this job but this tech was driven to cover all of concerns.

Conswithout a doubt, the best I ever encountered

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to suggest a handsome & fat pay increase soon.

Worked for AmeriGas Partners? Contribute to the Community!