Amdocs

Amdocs Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Amdocs President, CEO, and Director Eli Gelman

Eli Gelman

Pros:
  • "Very Satisfied with work life Balance and quality of work"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Work culture is very good, learn technical stuff"
    in 57 reviews
Cons:
  • "work-life balance as one of Amdocs' goals); no feeling of team work or appreciation"
    in 86 reviews
  • "In the Delivery division there is no Work life balance (mostly no life)"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work with good people, lot of travel opportunities, but be prepared to ruin your technical skills after a few years here

Development Expert (Former Employee)

I worked at Amdocs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLot of travel opportunities, and they treat you very well when travelling. Most senior people are very good at what they do and helpful too. If you are good you will get recognized quickly - very little office politics here.

ConsSpend a few years here and you can bid good-bye to any technical skills you had. You will end up with good knowledge about Amdocs products but little else. This is fine if you want to stay in the Telecom software field, not so much if you want to become an expert in Java/J2EE etc.
The other good things about Amdocs seem to be coming to an end with most work being sent to their India center which I have heard works pretty much like any other Indian company - most new hires are fresh out of college with no technical skills. Even the ones who are hired with 4-5 years experience can barely write 10 lines of code without consulting the internet.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your hiring practices, quality always trumps quantity in the end.

The joy of working at Amdocs

Performance Engineer (Former Employee)
Ottawa, ON

I worked at Amdocs full-time for more than a year

Prosnice place to work, close to home

Conslack of training, expectation of long hours (daily)

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more training for employees

great company to work for and good outlook

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amdocs full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood product and vision, great company to work for and good outlook

Conslocal divisions does not have full autonomy

Advice to Senior Managementcarry on with execellent work

Senior Subject Matter Expert

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat for those who are starting their career.
Gets to learn a lot of things technically and also professionally.
Good to work for 4-5 yrs.
Compensation is great.

ConsLearning curve reduces exponential as you work more. You will do the same thing over and over again. And getting more and more responsibilities (but same or similar).
There is no opportunity to grow professional.
No Promotions (or almost none).

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Senior Management – Listen to the needs of your developers.
Give them an opportunity to grow

It requires your loyalty

Software Development Expert (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- It is a well known worldwide company
- If you google it, then you'll find that it has a very strong financial portfolio
- There are opportunities for personal development, paid internal/external courses
- If you're intelligent then you can definitely shine and prosper
- There are also internal transfer/worldwide relocation opportunities

ConsLike any major company, it depends on which team you're in. I've seen some teams having very high job satisfaction ratio, and vice versa. However, if you give your 100% then for sure you won't be disappointed. For those who're family oriented for them it might be little challenging to ensure work-life balance. At the end, you have to keep in mind that it's a for profit company with strict business goals that it has to achieve on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

A company that offers 2 weeks holiday to every hire regardless of experience.

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe compensation and bonus plan are well funded, and employees are taken care of well on a daily basis with a refreshment program that provides food and beverages. Contribution matching on RRSPs is a good thing, and also well funded.

Because other provinces have more holidays given for various observances in Ontario we get two floater holidays.

ConsSince we were purchased by Amdocs our benefits plan is terrible, and we don't even have an option to top it up. There is no employee stock purchase plan.

The company offers any new employee, even for filling senior positions, two weeks holidays, this is just absurd and means that new employees are often of very low calibre.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more than 2 weeks and you may attract better talent, cut the red tape and bureaucracy, for such a far reaching company with so many physical sites there needs to be a much more decentralized set of processes.

Testing

Testing Group Leader (Current Employee)
New Toronto, ON

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt is a good company. provide good compansastion. good carrer growth oportunity. salary and other benefits are better or equal to other companies in market.

ConsWork life balance is not good. many times , we have to work late hours and on weekenends. you need to show something extra to get promotions and salary increase.

Miss the place , but not the work....

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC

I worked at Amdocs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent for those who gets an opportunity at a very early stage of their career (within 2-3 yrs of college passout).
Gets to learn a lot of things technically and also professionally.
Interactions with teams across the North American continent adding to your knowledge base.
Good to work for 4-5 yrs..
If you don't care about your career and just want to earn money, then this place is for you.

Cons- No respect or acknowledgement for the good work contributed. Only appreciated when you leave the company.
- Bad management.
- Almost no salary increments.
- Learning curve reduces as you work more and more. You continue to fix the same issues every month, every release , every year.
- You continue to grow physically and mentally ...but never professionally as the growth opportunity is ZERO (Most of the existing programmers are close to 10 yrs in the same position and are close to 40).
- No Promotions. Any vacancies are filled by hiring from outside.
- You reach a saturation point where you don't know what you are really good at in a global scenario.
- By continuing to work this way, you will reach a stage where you are not qualified to be a manager (since the only thing you will learn is how to fix the issues) and continue to be a programmer at 35.
- You can never compete with anyone outside Amdocs, because you don't know anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the needs of your developers.
Give them an opportunity to grow

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amdocs

Expert (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong hold on the telecom BSS/OSS domains. Strong group with excellent business knowledge

ConsProduct based company. So narrowed down to only one domain

Excellent company to gain expertise in telecommunications billing domain

Programming Senior Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Product based company with end to end support of the product. Offers various roles for a software engineer from development of the core product to production support.

- The work culture encourages developers to gain end to end knowledge of the billing systems spanning multiple applications.

- Ongoing opportunities to relocate around various offices around the globe.

- Open door policy is followed pretty well.

Cons- Most of the customers use stable versions of the billing applications , exposure to latest technologies is limited.

Worked for Amdocs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amdocs reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amdocs CEO Eli Gelman. All 681 reviews are posted anonymously by Amdocs employees.