Amdocs

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.3 1,017 reviews

Amdocs President, CEO, and Director Eli Gelman

Eli Gelman

Pros
  • Work-life balance can easily be maintained in a company like Amdocs (in 66 reviews)

• The work culture here is awesome, I never felt any type of pressure (in 97 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance; employees are encouraged to work many extra hours and weekends (in 137 reviews)

• Management seems proud that there is no work life balance (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights
1,017 Employee Reviews

Amazing company with great management

Pros1. Work-Life Balance is great: they really appreciate family and know how important it is
    2. Company has a clear conciese vision and goals set forth
    3. Even though we are growing there is little growing pains and there are always plans laid out to move forward with the growth
    4. Middle and Upper Management are both easy to get along with and talk to on a continuing basis

Cons1. Comminication from the top down can be delayed as in most large multi country companies. This is expected but ussually gets correct message across.

Care Employees

ProsEmployee care but its changing now

ConsNo new technologies if you are stuck in a product

Work with good people, lot of travel opportunities, but be prepared to ruin your technical skills after a few years here

Development Expert (Former Employee)

ProsLot of travel opportunities, and they treat you very well when travelling. Most senior people are very good at what they do and helpful too. If you are good you will get recognized quickly - very little office politics here.

ConsSpend a few years here and you can bid good-bye to any technical skills you had. You will end up with good knowledge about Amdocs products but little else. This is fine if you want to stay in the Telecom software field, not so much if you want to become an expert in Java/J2EE etc.
    The other good things about Amdocs seem to be coming to an end with most work being sent to their India center which I have heard works pretty much like any other Indian company - most new hires are fresh out of college with no technical skills. Even the ones who are hired with 4-5 years experience can barely write 10 lines of code without consulting the internet.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your hiring practices, quality always trumps quantity in the end.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The joy of working at Amdocs

Performance Engineer (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

Prosnice place to work, close to home

Conslack of training, expectation of long hours (daily)

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more training for employees

great company to work for and good outlook

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood product and vision, great company to work for and good outlook

Conslocal divisions does not have full autonomy

Advice to Senior Managementcarry on with execellent work

Senior Subject Matter Expert

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee)

ProsGreat for those who are starting their career.
    Gets to learn a lot of things technically and also professionally.
    Good to work for 4-5 yrs.
    Compensation is great.

ConsLearning curve reduces exponential as you work more. You will do the same thing over and over again. And getting more and more responsibilities (but same or similar).
    There is no opportunity to grow professional.
    No Promotions (or almost none).
    You reach a saturation point where you don't know what you are really good at in a global scenario.
    You can never compete with anyone outside Amdocs, because you don't know anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Senior Management – Listen to the needs of your developers.
    Give them an opportunity to grow

It requires your loyalty

Software Development Expert (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

Pros- It is a well known worldwide company
    - If you google it, then you'll find that it has a very strong financial portfolio
    - There are opportunities for personal development, paid internal/external courses
    - If you're intelligent then you can definitely shine and prosper
    - There are also internal transfer/worldwide relocation opportunities

ConsLike any major company, it depends on which team you're in. I've seen some teams having very high job satisfaction ratio, and vice versa. However, if you give your 100% then for sure you won't be disappointed. For those who're family oriented for them it might be little challenging to ensure work-life balance. At the end, you have to keep in mind that it's a for profit company with strict business goals that it has to achieve on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

A company that offers 2 weeks holiday to every hire regardless of experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsThe compensation and bonus plan are well funded, and employees are taken care of well on a daily basis with a refreshment program that provides food and beverages. Contribution matching on RRSPs is a good thing, and also well funded.

Because other provinces have more holidays given for various observances in Ontario we get two floater holidays.

ConsSince we were purchased by Amdocs our benefits plan is terrible, and we don't even have an option to top it up. There is no employee stock purchase plan.

The company offers any new employee, even for filling senior positions, two weeks holidays, this is just absurd and means that new employees are often of very low calibre.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more than 2 weeks and you may attract better talent, cut the red tape and bureaucracy, for such a far reaching company with so many physical sites there needs to be a much more decentralized set of processes.

Testing

Testing Group Leader (Current Employee) New Toronto, ON

ProsIt is a good company. provide good compansastion. good carrer growth oportunity. salary and other benefits are better or equal to other companies in market.

ConsWork life balance is not good. many times , we have to work late hours and on weekenends. you need to show something extra to get promotions and salary increase.

Amdocs

Expert (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsStrong hold on the telecom BSS/OSS domains. Strong group with excellent business knowledge

ConsProduct based company. So narrowed down to only one domain

Worked for Amdocs? Contribute to the Community!