Amdocs

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.3 1,007 reviews

Amdocs President, CEO, and Director Eli Gelman

Eli Gelman

Pros
  • Work-life balance can easily be maintained in a company like Amdocs(in 63 reviews)

• The work culture here is awesome, I never felt any type of pressure(in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance; employees are encouraged to work many extra hours and weekends(in 137 reviews)

• Management seems proud that there is no work life balance(in 37 reviews)

1,007 Employee Reviews

Excellent company to gain expertise in telecommunications billing domain

Programming Senior Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- Product based company with end to end support of the product. Offers various roles for a software engineer from development of the core product to production support.

- The work culture encourages developers to gain end to end knowledge of the billing systems spanning multiple applications.

- Ongoing opportunities to relocate around various offices around the globe.

- Open door policy is followed pretty well.

Cons- Most of the customers use stable versions of the billing applications , exposure to latest technologies is limited.

Amdocs Review

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsIt is a multinational company having branches across the entire world. It has a highly stable products and customers that are big telecom players in the market.

ConsIn my experience there is less work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the work life balance for the employees

Miss the place , but not the work....

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsExcellent for those who gets an opportunity at a very early stage of their career (within 2-3 yrs of college passout).
    Gets to learn a lot of things technically and also professionally.
    Interactions with teams across the North American continent adding to your knowledge base.
    Good to work for 4-5 yrs..
    If you don't care about your career and just want to earn money, then this place is for you.

Cons- No respect or acknowledgement for the good work contributed. Only appreciated when you leave the company.
    - Bad management.
    - Almost no salary increments.
    - Learning curve reduces as you work more and more. You continue to fix the same issues every month, every release , every year.
    - You continue to grow physically and mentally ...but never professionally as the growth opportunity is ZERO (Most of the existing programmers are close to 10 yrs in the same position and are close to 40).
    - No Promotions. Any vacancies are filled by hiring from outside.
    - You reach a saturation point where you don't know what you are really good at in a global scenario.
    - By continuing to work this way, you will reach a stage where you are not qualified to be a manager (since the only thing you will learn is how to fix the issues) and continue to be a programmer at 35.
    - You can never compete with anyone outside Amdocs, because you don't know anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the needs of your developers.
    Give them an opportunity to grow

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

unique

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

Prosfriendship and many opportunities inside amdocs.

Consdistance between employers and HR.

Advice to Senior Managementtake the action before happen.

Well paid, but tough working hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsGood pay package, decent benefits. Excellent, competent team - great people to work with. Awesome technology - expect to touch on all kinds of cool enterprise-level tech.

ConsHours can be inane (70-90 hour weeks in worst times!), promotion opportunities can be limited. Although pay is quite good, when averaged on a per hour basis, no longer impressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your team's overtime and workload - your staff has a great deal of respect for you, but at some point it becomes a bit difficult to have a life outside the office.

Senior Consultant at Amdocs Canadian Managed Services

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- Flat Organization - tremendous opportunties to grow
    - Develop strong technical and functional skills in Telecom BSS
    - Respect in the Industry

Cons- slow growth on customer sites
    - Israel dominated org culture - sometimes leads to managerial mis-influence

Advice to Senior Management- encourage and give more opportunities of growth to employees
    - facilitate work life balance on customer sites

Not a place I would recommend

(Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsMoney is the only reason to work for Amdocs

ConsLong work hours,
    disrespectful managers,
    outdated technologies and software
    no opportunity to grow
    military approach

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a little care for your employees, not only once a year, when you distribute hot dogs
    Use advanced technologies

IF have other choices, do not come to Amdocs.

Senior SME (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsGood compensation (for some) if you are lucky (belong to the right group).
    Good to have on CV.

ConsNot creative environment. Incompetent management. Top-down micromanagement. Not fair promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are often very smart (and initally very motivated). Do not kill the talent; step away when you know you have nothing to contribute.

More like a Staff Augmentation company rather than a consultancy

Senior SME (Current Employee)

ProsThe compensation is comparable and you'll really stand out if you do your job because most people don't.

ConsManagement does not appreciate your work and will make you stay up all night to to do a "really important" task. Amdocs gives you a good idea of what NOT to do on a project. There are a few good managers that will really help you with your career but most do not care at all so at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and judge their work based on what they've done and not how much time they spent doing it. Get to know your employees and understand their interests and skill set so they will be utilized to their full potential.

Amdocs is the black stain on my impeccable professional career! Stay far far far away from this company.

Senior Manager (Level 5) (Former Employee)

Pros- Amdocs is very flexible with wherever you want to reside in the world.
    - Amdocs is open to flex hours and remote work (from home).
    - Amdocs pays good starting salaries (but this is a smoke screen --- see my comments in the "downsides" section)
    - Amdocs has morning breakfast, coffee & tea, soda pops, etc. (in my office location at least)

Cons- Like many of the previous posters have already said, Amdocs will lay you off or push you out, once they have maxed out your services.
    - They give higher starting salaries and bonuses (just to entice people to accept their offers), but soon you will realize that this this just a smoke screen.
    - Their employer exodus rate (ie: firings, lay-offs, pushed to leave, etc.) is as high as 80%, a number that is extremely high among the high-tech vertical .
    - There is a severe disconnect between management and service level staff, and even moreso between the headquarters in Israel and the North American units.
    - When it comes to promotion, raises and other incentives, sad to say (and others have here have also said), if you're not: (i) - Jewish; or (ii) - Israeli, you're outta luck.
    - If you have to work here, do what I did --- gain experience, the key telco knowledge, and leave ASAP before things get worse in that "toxic environment". I'm a Fortune 100 doing M&A work now, and life is much better, plus, I am not only paid better, but am also treated with respect and my work product is recognized.

Advice to Senior Management- Enable more transparency.
    - Be fully upfront with the employees that you hire as to what short-term and long-range expectations you have for them.
    - Don't offer deceitful, specious and dubious promises (to employees) that will never come to fruition.

Worked for Amdocs? Contribute to the Community!