Amdocs

Amdocs Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Amdocs President, CEO, and Director Eli Gelman

Eli Gelman

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance (if you are in Product Business Group)"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Work culture is very good, learn technical stuff"
    in 57 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance; employees are encouraged to work many extra hours and weekends"
    in 91 reviews
  • "Management seems proud that there is no work life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Miss the place , but not the work....

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee)

I worked at Amdocs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent for those who gets an opportunity at a very early stage of their career (within 2-3 yrs of college passout).
Gets to learn a lot of things technically and also professionally.
Interactions with teams across the North American continent adding to your knowledge base.
Good to work for 4-5 yrs..
If you don't care about your career and just want to earn money, then this place is for you.

Cons- No respect or acknowledgement for the good work contributed. Only appreciated when you leave the company.
- Bad management.
- Almost no salary increments.
- Learning curve reduces as you work more and more. You continue to fix the same issues every month, every release , every year.
- You continue to grow physically and mentally ...but never professionally as the growth opportunity is ZERO (Most of the existing programmers are close to 10 yrs in the same position and are close to 40).
- No Promotions. Any vacancies are filled by hiring from outside.
- You reach a saturation point where you don't know what you are really good at in a global scenario.
- By continuing to work this way, you will reach a stage where you are not qualified to be a manager (since the only thing you will learn is how to fix the issues) and continue to be a programmer at 35.
- You can never compete with anyone outside Amdocs, because you don't know anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the needs of your developers.
Give them an opportunity to grow

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

unique

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs

Prosfriendship and many opportunities inside amdocs.

Consdistance between employers and HR.

Advice to Senior Managementtake the action before happen.

Well paid, but tough working hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amdocs

ProsGood pay package, decent benefits. Excellent, competent team - great people to work with. Awesome technology - expect to touch on all kinds of cool enterprise-level tech.

ConsHours can be inane (70-90 hour weeks in worst times!), promotion opportunities can be limited. Although pay is quite good, when averaged on a per hour basis, no longer impressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your team's overtime and workload - your staff has a great deal of respect for you, but at some point it becomes a bit difficult to have a life outside the office.

Senior Consultant at Amdocs Canadian Managed Services

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Amdocs

Pros- Flat Organization - tremendous opportunties to grow
- Develop strong technical and functional skills in Telecom BSS
- Respect in the Industry

Cons- slow growth on customer sites
- Israel dominated org culture - sometimes leads to managerial mis-influence

Advice to Senior Management- encourage and give more opportunities of growth to employees
- facilitate work life balance on customer sites

Not a place I would recommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amdocs

ProsMoney is the only reason to work for Amdocs

ConsLong work hours,
disrespectful managers,
outdated technologies and software
no opportunity to grow
military approach

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a little care for your employees, not only once a year, when you distribute hot dogs
Use advanced technologies

IF have other choices, do not come to Amdocs.

Senior SME (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs

ProsGood compensation (for some) if you are lucky (belong to the right group).
Good to have on CV.

ConsNot creative environment. Incompetent management. Top-down micromanagement. Not fair promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are often very smart (and initally very motivated). Do not kill the talent; step away when you know you have nothing to contribute.

More like a Staff Augmentation company rather than a consultancy

Senior SME (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amdocs

ProsThe compensation is comparable and you'll really stand out if you do your job because most people don't.

ConsManagement does not appreciate your work and will make you stay up all night to to do a "really important" task. Amdocs gives you a good idea of what NOT to do on a project. There are a few good managers that will really help you with your career but most do not care at all so at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and judge their work based on what they've done and not how much time they spent doing it. Get to know your employees and understand their interests and skill set so they will be utilized to their full potential.

Amdocs is the black stain on my impeccable professional career! Stay far far far away from this company.

Senior Manager (Level 5) (Former Employee)

I worked at Amdocs

Pros- Amdocs is very flexible with wherever you want to reside in the world.
- Amdocs is open to flex hours and remote work (from home).
- Amdocs pays good starting salaries (but this is a smoke screen --- see my comments in the "downsides" section)
- Amdocs has morning breakfast, coffee & tea, soda pops, etc. (in my office location at least)

Cons- Like many of the previous posters have already said, Amdocs will lay you off or push you out, once they have maxed out your services.
- They give higher starting salaries and bonuses (just to entice people to accept their offers), but soon you will realize that this this just a smoke screen.
- Their employer exodus rate (ie: firings, lay-offs, pushed to leave, etc.) is as high as 80%, a number that is extremely high among the high-tech vertical .
- There is a severe disconnect between management and service level staff, and even moreso between the headquarters in Israel and the North American units.
- When it comes to promotion, raises and other incentives, sad to say (and others have here have also said), if you're not: (i) - Jewish; or (ii) - Israeli, you're outta luck.
- If you have to work here, do what I did --- gain experience, the key telco knowledge, and leave ASAP before things get worse in that "toxic environment". I'm a Fortune 100 doing M&A work now, and life is much better, plus, I am not only paid better, but am also treated with respect and my work product is recognized.

Advice to Senior Management- Enable more transparency.
- Be fully upfront with the employees that you hire as to what short-term and long-range expectations you have for them.
- Don't offer deceitful, specious and dubious promises (to employees) that will never come to fruition.

What doesn't break you will make you stronger

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Champaign, IL (US)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's a company that will not be dull for a single day. It takes a strong person to work and find balance. It's a growing company with a deep well of opportunities to learn and grow.

Consit is hard for many people to find the balance between work and personal life. many people have not yet learned to work across different continents and find the best way to deal with stress. but once you learn to work in Amdocs and manage stress, nothing is too hard in life.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people

Learning and talented environment. Good chunk of talent to work with. Stable work environment

Director (Current Employee)
Champaign, IL (US)

I have been working at Amdocs full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBest school for crisis management in a Tier I customer environment.
Huge customer base with variety of project scope.
great company site oppotunities

ConsWork life balance, management politics

Worked for Amdocs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amdocs reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amdocs CEO Eli Gelman. All 684 reviews are posted anonymously by Amdocs employees.