Amazon.com

4,128 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,768 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazon

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Customers really are the main focus.

Cons

Staff are second to customers and are not considered as even closely important to this stakeholder group.

Strong growth and good values, but not the best place to start your career.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

High motivation employees, very good control over development process even from SDE1 role, fast development cycle for a large company.

Cons

Easy to work way more hours than you would somewhere else, need to be able to confidently say no and regulate your hours or you'll be in the office 60+ hours a week.

Hard work rewarding work quick burnout cutthroat

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Competitive pay, great benifts, stock options monthly bonuses, transfer options Amazon.com promotes a diverse and unique atmosphere they offer options to move around through out departments as well as transfers available nation wide.

Cons

Quick burnout the company is extremely competitive and promotes a cutthroat style of leadership and will go out on a limb for a new idea before consistency one must continue to produce revolutionary new ideas to stay ahead seniority is never a factor

Better communication of what is expected.

An honest culture

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Internships: You work with highly competent people. They do good work and are willing to help you learn.
    Location: Seattle is beautiful with entertainment aplenty there. Amazon and interns organize plenty of events as well.
    Pay: is good

Cons

Culture is results-oriented, so if you can do your work in 6 hours, then awesome. If you're barely keeping up at 11 hours a day, might need to up that to 12.
    Somewhat overwhelming to self-indoctrinate the leadership principles, be highly effective at them, and also complete a project on time.
    Mentors have their own stuff to handle. They may be extremely helpful, they may be busy with their own projects, or they might be inaccessible. Don't be surprised to encounter all 3.

Make sure mentors are available all throughout the internship and don't have too much on their own plate (i.e. mission critical project that they're a key stakeholder on)

It is a fast pace work environment.

Former Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in West Columbia, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in West Columbia, SC (US)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

breaks, training, free Gatorade/ snacks, competitions

Cons

hot working conditions, long standing

Great company and great people

Former Employee - Picker in Jeffersonville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Picker in Jeffersonville, KY (US)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

I worked here because there were no other jobs available for me in my area. I got a great friend, she is the best in world. Never heard any like her before.

Cons

You are a fraction of a large number in the production report. No Wonder, if your manager even does not know your first name after working for weeks.

Maybe Amazon is going to kick off all employees after they get robots to get the job done but right now the machines working are actually human beings. They eat, smoke and get tired.

Amazon is just as amazing to work for as they are to purchase things from.

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely fast paced, very team work oriented, talented employees, innovative, low to no beauracracy, constant feedback on performance. Amazon is growing and they understand the importance of investing in new technologies and resources.

Cons

Employees change positions every 2-3 years, high turnover and new pepole onboarding all the time.

Base salary compensation is low for a company in a high cost of living area. The stock is incredible but it take a few years to get to a point where you are receiving the benefit of that. Need to look at the high rate of turnover and determine what could be done to help reduce it. This is a great company with a lot to offer they spend a lot of time on the hiring process to lose so many through attrition.

Great place to work, although...

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Work is easy and repetitive. Free refreshments. Sometimes give out free food. $10.50/hr for fulfillment employees. Good people to work with.

Cons

Leadership / Line leads and Ambassadors spend most of the day talking with their friends. They just stand around and point out obvious stuff that needs to be done. Warehouse gets hot at times. I often times end up doing the work by myself because their friends in my department are just talking it up. You also won't get recognized for being a competetant and hard working employee.

Be on top of the line leads and ambassadors. They slack off way too much.

A good first job experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Fulfillment Associate in Schertz, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Fulfillment Associate in Schertz, TX (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good, especially if you are young and are not looking for something long-term. I met great people working there, and management was pretty efficient. If you like to work with a diverse group of people, and stay on your feet 9-10 hours out the stay, it's a really good experience.

Cons

During time between peak seasons, there is not much work needed, so they downsize a lot. Performance awards really is number based, and breaks really feel like only minutes.

Great people

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Greate poeple and challenging tasks

Cons

Office space is not very appealing