Amazon.com

3.3 3,305 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,299 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights
3,305 Employee Reviews

Best Internship!

Operations Leadership Intern (Current Employee)

ProsI learned a lot during my time there. They were very focused on the development of managers and the associates. I had great support from senior staff and they were always willing to help me when I needed it. I was challenged every day and was given opportunities to work on projects with other departments. Was treated as a manager not an intern. I worked the same hours as my manager and never worked over 55 hours a week (non peak weeks). Once you are in the company there are a thousand opportunities to either change location at will or change positions all together.

ConsWork life balance can be hard but is manageable.

Hard work that pays off

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Hebron, KY (US)

Proshours, pay, time off, competitive benefits package, free stock

ConsManagement doesn't communicate, morale runs low, improper use of time, facilities sometimes poorly managed

Advice to Senior Managementspeak to your lower level employees about the processes that are being implemented

Amazing experience with brilliant people, but upward mobility is challenging due to many layers of middle management.

Account Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsIt's good to be the king. AWS is the market leader, but engineering doesn't act like it. Extremely innovative and fast paced. If you appreciate the technology it never gets boring to sell it. The people are amazing, and because the hiring process is so daunting odds are most of your peers are solid contributors. Great opportunity to make money if you are hungry and resourceful.

ConsThere are many layers of middle management that came from far less innovative companies and it shows in the increasing amounts of bureaucracy and politics. The hiring process is arduous and sometimes freezes out good candidates. Upward mobility is really hard, especially with many layers of middle management almost all of which were hired externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of management seems to focus on what makes them look good as opposed to what makes their team look good (which has the same result).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never a boring day

Picker (Former Employee) Charleston, TN (US)

ProsThe days go by fast and never boring. The pay is great and the people are very nice. They care about their people and will help you succeed in everything you do.

ConsWay to many people in one place. You loose track of time and miss your break time, they need clocks or send a message to everyone on the scanner when it's time for breaks.

Good place to work.

Deal Quality Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Pros- Amenities, buildings, location
    - Pay, the people you work with

ConsDepends on the department
    Long Hours
    Working all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementValue work/life balance a little more

Great company to settle down ; but not for freshers

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCore Competencies holds good for global professional values

ConsGrowth ladder will be difficult to climb when you're fresh out of school

Rewarding and Demanding

Operations Manager (Current Employee) San Bernardino, CA (US)

Pros* We are obsessed with customers. We live and breathe it every day. It is not a hollow mantra.
    * The growth is incredible. Don't blink; you'll miss something. Great opportunities for growth.
    * This is not a "Good Old Boy" network. It's about performance and nothing else.
    * We welcome "Out of Box" thinkers. Debating and challenging existing processes encouraged.

Cons* The growth is incredible. I know I said the same under PROS. It can be both a blessing and a curse.
    * Being obsessed with customers demands that you work non-traditional hours. It can be tough on the body.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow the incredible growth to compromise fundamental cultural commitments. Regularly bumping up against the red line on the tachometer is intense. We don't want to crash and burn. Steady, controlled growth will ensure foundational stability. Exponential growth may not be sustainable and may lead to reactive correction.

Great Experience working at amazon

Quality Assurance Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1. Complete ownership of the product
    2. Good Leadership principles, which if you follow can achieve many things
    3. Good pay
    4. Can learn so much about Software Development, architecture and processes
    5. Great freedom at work. No Rules and regulations

Cons1. Expected to work all through. No time for relaxation
    2. No other cultural programs at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat going.

It's been a really good learning experience but stressful at times.

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Hayward, CA (US)

ProsThe pay is pretty good and it's easy to get the tools you need.

ConsHigh stress and demanding at times

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to work on retaining your key people.

New employee

Lead Fulfilment Associate (Current Employee) Moreno Valley, CA (US)

ProsBenefits in healthcare from first day of employment, compensation in vacation hours and personal hours. pay with built in pay raises

Consdon't know any cons yet

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!