Amazon.com Reviews

3,564 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,455 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 110 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 326 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 583 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting experience

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  Davis, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Davis, CA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good Ambassador experience. Well paid. A lot of benefits. Flexible hours. Good management.

Cons

Wish Amazon Student could attend colleges more often throughout the school year.

Keep doing what you do!

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, great technology, great people.

Cons

Frugality is a guiding principle in the company as they see themselves as a retailer, first and foremost. It doesn't have the mindset of a Silicon Valley company regarding perks for employees such as free food.

Good And Bad, But Overall Okay

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company.

a). Amazon is perhaps one of the best companies when it comes to interesting projects. Almost includes all areas you can think of. It's leading in cloud computing and also releasing new devices yearly. Tons of challenges. Great leadership from Jeff Bezos. I like where this company is headed.

b). Amazon has an official dog policy that allows you to bring your dog to work on a daily basis which is really cool.

c). Paid time off 6 days. Pretty good. 3 sick days. Okay.

Cons

a). In terms of compensation, average base salary, great sign-on bonus, lame stock bonus over first 2 years(4 years allocation ratio of your stock bonus: 5%, 15%, 40%, 40%) then it's better. No cash bonus ever after the sign-on bonus though. You also won't receive any stock bonus on your first performance review, either. Last but not the least, their salary bump is minimal compared to other IT companies.

b). No perk at all. You want free food? Go elsewhere. You want free parking? Go elsewhere. You want office? Go elsewhere.

c). No green card for immigrant SDE1s because you are not valuable to the company. SDE2s will get theirs going after half a year of service. Although exceptions can be given from time to time. And usually managers understands it and will help you.

d). Oncall experience is different significantly from teams to teams. Cannot say much about that. My team is mostly okay. But I have heard horrible stories, and I am not planning to experience those.

e). People move very frequently. Promotion can be a problem when your manager keeps coming and going and nobody has a set of continuous datapoints of you.

f). 2 weeks of vacation in the first year. Then 3 weeks starting from your second year. 2 weeks is well below IT company standard. Although they kind of making up for it by adding 9 extra days(6 PTO + 3 sick days)

Grant green card for immigrants immediately. Add perk. Those will help you keep your employees from moving.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The expectations are high, but every one makes an effort to see us succeed.

Current Employee - Tier III Associate  in  DuPont, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Tier III Associate in DuPont, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The leadership principles are actually important to the culture of the company, and not just some nonsense written on the wall. Also, Integrity, hard work, and a customer centric attitude are rewarded.

Cons

Standardization is the ideal, yet I consistently heard the phrase, "at my FC we do "x" this way..." from the trainers that came from various FC through out the country. This created a lot of confusion in the first few weeks that our new FC was open.

A heads up on why we are making a change would be nice sometimes. Even if the only reason is, "hey, I wonder if this will work". Can be frustrating for an associate who has just learned a task to have to re-learn it, just because some faceless manager said so with out making the advantage of learning a new way clear.

Great work experience at Amazon.

Former Employee - NAFC Workers' Compensation Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - NAFC Workers' Compensation Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great flexibility in work hours for management, telecommuting options, base salary and opportunities for new innovative ideas.

Cons

Some drawbacks are the number of associates assigned to each area manager to supervise (Too many), lack of standard work and protocol in many job areas, very high turnover, and over reliance on technology in some instances.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership: Amazon gives employees a lot of ownership over the projects they are working on.

Career growth: There are tons of internal opportunities for growth and you are able to drive you own career trajectory. Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Work life balance: I heard some of the complaints about work life balance before joining Amazon, but in my time here I have not experienced any issues with work life balance. The work schedule is flexible and I rarely take any work home with me.

Cons

Company can be a bit too frugal at times, not a lot of perks. Fortunately the frugality is not reflected in the compensation. I would like to see a better 401(k) match.

Make the 401(k) more competitive to other companies in the industry.

Chaotic, challenging, often fun

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazon offers a lot of freedom to try new things, make your own judgment calls, and prove yourself. You can do basically anything, as long as you can prove its worth to the company.

Cons

Management isn't well organized - your career at the company is basically defined by how well your management chain likes you (and each other). The flexibility they offer can come at the cost of no limits to the working hours or effort required, and you may find yourself working around the clock just to meet the deadlines.

Use employee turnover and low satisfaction scores to identify problem areas where employees are being overworked or mistreated by their managers. Make the long-term value of employees as important as short-term gain.

Fast paced, lots of cool stuff to learn, working with smart people.

Current Employee - Training  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Training in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have learned, and continue to learn, a lot of exciting, fun, and cutting edge technology. Amazon Web Services is at the forefront of Public Cloud Computing and as such is inventing tomorrow's services and capabilities. Almost everyone I've encountered is willing to share their knowledge and experience. Even though Amazon.com is a company of over 100,000 employees, AWS feels like a startup with high energy, excitement, and buzz.

Cons

Although I'm not too adversely affected by this in my particular role (I travel a lot and am not in the office much), I can see that many people struggle with work/life balance. I don't honestly know whether that's a company characteristic or simply due to people wanting to accomplish more than can in a reasonable number of hours per week.

I have just recently learned (here on Glassdoor, and elsewhere) that Amazon employs annual stack ranking of employees. That's beyond appalling. This Jack Welch inspired system makes some sense in the abstract, but the actual requirement for managers to drop the bottom x% (by a necessarily subjective assessment) is a lousy practice.

Place where builders can build

Current Employee - Software Development Manager
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

get to work with smart people, lots of freedom and ideas can be generated from bottom up

Cons

not great work life balance, operations load can be high

good company though

Current Employee - Soft Ware Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Soft Ware Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

everyone work hard, good people, good environment, good food. You can learn fast and learn alot for a graduate students

Cons

i think its not easy to get raised to a high position because every one is very smart and hard work. so you must be harder

optimize the growth road for staff

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!