Amazon.com Reviews

3,507 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,429 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved the work pace

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

It have a lot of benefits

Cons

Getting your work expectation is so hard

Stressful but worthy

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Able to get your hands on some latest technology. Seattle is a great Seattle, way better than Bay area in my opinion.

Cons

Stressful, workload is overwhelming. No cafeteria, no free snacks, only tea bags and coffee.

Get us some cafeterias, or some free snacks!

Working environment in rapid pace and wild - as wild as Amazon forest itself.

Current Employee - Data Center Technician II  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Data Center Technician II in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits is much better than average company in Japan, freedom on shift and easy of taking vacation is really attractive. Lots of genius along the way.

Cons

Office politics seems inevitable, some higher ups do not treat their subordinate and tend to be showy on their authority

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to intern and gain some excellent experience

Former Employee - Operations Leadership Intern  in  Sumner, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Leadership Intern in Sumner, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture: very casual but intense and data driven
    Everyone is really friendly and open I never felt out of place

Cons

Hours, hard to take time off, a lot of red tape hard to get things changed completely

The expectations are high, but every one makes an effort to see us succeed.

Current Employee - Tier III Associate  in  DuPont, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Tier III Associate in DuPont, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The leadership principles are actually important to the culture of the company, and not just some nonsense written on the wall. Also, Integrity, hard work, and a customer centric attitude are rewarded.

Cons

Standardization is the ideal, yet I consistently heard the phrase, "at my FC we do "x" this way..." from the trainers that came from various FC through out the country. This created a lot of confusion in the first few weeks that our new FC was open.

A heads up on why we are making a change would be nice sometimes. Even if the only reason is, "hey, I wonder if this will work". Can be frustrating for an associate who has just learned a task to have to re-learn it, just because some faceless manager said so with out making the advantage of learning a new way clear.

Chaotic, challenging, often fun

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazon offers a lot of freedom to try new things, make your own judgment calls, and prove yourself. You can do basically anything, as long as you can prove its worth to the company.

Cons

Management isn't well organized - your career at the company is basically defined by how well your management chain likes you (and each other). The flexibility they offer can come at the cost of no limits to the working hours or effort required, and you may find yourself working around the clock just to meet the deadlines.

Use employee turnover and low satisfaction scores to identify problem areas where employees are being overworked or mistreated by their managers. Make the long-term value of employees as important as short-term gain.

Fast paced, lots of cool stuff to learn, working with smart people.

Current Employee - Training  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Training in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have learned, and continue to learn, a lot of exciting, fun, and cutting edge technology. Amazon Web Services is at the forefront of Public Cloud Computing and as such is inventing tomorrow's services and capabilities. Almost everyone I've encountered is willing to share their knowledge and experience. Even though Amazon.com is a company of over 100,000 employees, AWS feels like a startup with high energy, excitement, and buzz.

Cons

Although I'm not too adversely affected by this in my particular role (I travel a lot and am not in the office much), I can see that many people struggle with work/life balance. I don't honestly know whether that's a company characteristic or simply due to people wanting to accomplish more than can in a reasonable number of hours per week.

I have just recently learned (here on Glassdoor, and elsewhere) that Amazon employs annual stack ranking of employees. That's beyond appalling. This Jack Welch inspired system makes some sense in the abstract, but the actual requirement for managers to drop the bottom x% (by a necessarily subjective assessment) is a lousy practice.

Amazon

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, Talented people around, Flexible

Cons

Work life balance.
    Completely focused on work

Great place to work

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership: Amazon gives employees a lot of ownership over the projects they are working on.

Career growth: There are tons of internal opportunities for growth and you are able to drive you own career trajectory. Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Work life balance: I heard some of the complaints about work life balance before joining Amazon, but in my time here I have not experienced any issues with work life balance. The work schedule is flexible and I rarely take any work home with me.

Cons

Company can be a bit too frugal at times, not a lot of perks. Fortunately the frugality is not reflected in the compensation. I would like to see a better 401(k) match.

Make the 401(k) more competitive to other companies in the industry.

Good place to work and get paid well

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pays competitively
    Good chances for growth
    Incredible team

Cons

Sometimes secretive
    High expectations
    Sometimes very frugal

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!