Amazon.com

3,938 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,667 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

SDE intern

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Great place to work. People are so nice and helpful, you'll learn a lot. Atmosphere is so good, we hangout after work, work load is not that heavy, but work you do is interesting! Salary and Corporate housing are awesome!

Cons

None. Perfect place for interns.

Good comany for beginning work.

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Good company for starters and beginner

Cons

Bad management at every level.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Investigations Specialist in Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Investigations Specialist in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefit, good salary, good management

Cons

Nothing particularly relevant to notice.

more than just a call center in Costa Rica

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Heredia (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Heredia (Costa Rica)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

A great place to work for the average call center, a lot of departments to work on rather than customer service

Cons

Some departments require mandatory overtime in peak season

Be more present

Great place

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

They do a good job of tracking metrics. A lot of projects need to be defined better before starting.

Cons

They could do better project planning. Needs better benefits.

Going to miss this.

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

I absolutely love working in an Amazon Fulfilment Center in Schertz, Tx. I will be sad indeed when seasonal peak is over and they start firing seasonal workers. All of the bosses are wonderful and really contribute to the team feeling you get there. The work is hard but at the end of the day you feel great about yourself.

Cons

The only major con is not really to do with amazon... During peak they hire so many people some are hard to work with but most of my coworkers have great positive attitudes. The only other is the long hours. It's exhausting work and an 11 hour shift leaves you tired.

Freedom and fast pace. Good tech. Management can be better.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can run your own agenda inside this company, there's a lot of freedom to try new ideas. There's a plethora of technology experts and internal services that enable you to build great things. There are tech talks all the time by senior engineers. If you have your own agenda, this is the place to go.

Amazon has built a great software toolbox for its own internal operations. A lot of tools are aimed at analytics. This is a data-driven company and the toolbox is there to empower this thinking. I really love that aspect of Amazon.

I haven't had any bureaucracy problems here. This is a lean company and logistics are very high-performing. IT support is fast and effective.

In Amazon, there's freedom, and that freedom is backed by the leadership principles. You can find them on the company's jobs website. This culture is extremely empowering. They ask you to be a leader, in writing. If you like to do so, you feel backed by the company's culture from the very first day.

The buildings are functional and comfortable. You can bring your dog, and there are kitchenettes in every floor. I like my workplace, it's just right for me.

The office culture looks cold. You don't talk to people unless you need to (including saying hi). This was shocking to me the first days, but now I got used to it and I'm starting to think that it's better to maintain focus.

Cons

Rather than a "con", this is the counterpart of the pros: everyone is busy running their own agenda, and so you need to care about yourself. In particular, you need to be able to back your decisions with data, solid arguments, or evident results.

Now, something that I really don't like is that my boss has been breaking a lot of promises and it looks like he doesn't care about it. That's something plainly bad. I just cannot trust my boss' word.

The food in the cafeterias is rather expensive.

Be ready to negotiate your salary. They will definitely try to save money. Don't undersell yourself.

Don't make breaking promises a policy and give your reports the time they deserve.

Maintain the data-based approach for measuring people's contribution. It's good and fair.

Your experience is based solely on your team, I got lucky

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Felt like I had a lot of real-world impact. My manager was one of few that knew how to treat interns as intelligent people, and gave me quite a bit of flexibility for my project. I'd recommend it in order to grow a career in the future, as I learned a lot.

Cons

Some perks would have been nice. Most tech companies offer this, and Amazon tries to drill into your head that frugality is key. While the compensation was nice and I'm not one to demand all of the silly things Google offers, if there was a daily lunch served, this would have made a big difference in my experience as an intern (not having to stress about cooking food everyday = better intern experience = better conversion rate).

Team also wasn't the most social one around, but hey it gave me more time for relaxing on the weekends I guess.

Find the right balance for your interns. Most of my friends were overworked. A difficult project can be rewarding, but it's gotta still be in scope for a college student who is still learning.

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great company. Lots of intelligent people. Tons of opportunity to work on different products and GTM strategies.

Cons

Slow promotions, very political hierarchy. Management is too busy to develop anyone and you find yourself taking on as many projects as possible just to get noticed.

Super Company ever to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

leadership, employee benefits ad all

Cons

timings, pricing, compemssation, life, benefits

Perks