Amazon.com

3.3 3,287 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,290 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights
3,287 Employee Reviews

Great college experience working for Amazon.com

Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) Long Beach, CA (US)

ProsThe company pays very well and the coworkers are very exciting people. I love the culture and the company values. I felt valued by the management greatly. It is just a great company to work for, but not much room for advancement if you aren't from a top-tier university.

ConsThe interview is a little whacky and unorganized. Leadership is shaky and sometimes unorganized. The deadlines are very strict and timely. Lots of pressure from cohorts and upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more college grads

Pays well. Depends on your team.

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsPays well.
    They cover housing for you, bringing your intern salary to about 100k if full time.
    Opportunity to learn a lot.
    Flexible work schedule. (can come in late. can work from home. can leave early if you need to)
    Tons of smart people
    Employees care about the customer
    You get full disclosure on your performance
    real work as an intern - your team will give you a project to work on that they had on the back-burner but still want done

ConsThe pros are largely universal. The cons will depend on your team.
    If you have a great team, you'll have a great time. If you have a crappy team, you'll have a crappy time. I'm basing this off of what I know about my team versus what other interns told me about their teams.
    Either way, you'll need to be assertive. Ask questions. Get help when you don't know something. General rule is spend 30 mins trying to figure something out. Then if you haven't, go ahead and ask a someone with more experience.
    Your project may not be defined. You will have to get it defined. (i.e. figure out what you have to do for it to be complete). It can be hard to communicate with superiors as an intern, assuming you have little prior experience. A thought I basically had "I am inexperienced. I do not want to annoy anyone. I'll just try to figure this out on my own." This is incorrect. Your boss will know that already. Go ahead and don't be shy and you'll avoid lots of the problems.
    You may have to work longer hours depending on your project.

Financial Analyst Intern

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGreat learning opportunity, unlike many internships you are expected to contribute and deliver work at the same level as a Financial Analyst.

ConsDepending on your manager feedback on your work and expectations can be very unclear. This is a con that may not be specific to Amazon. Your over all experience and learning is very dependent on the team you are on and your direct manager.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

partly good, partly "OK"

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsA lot of talented highly skilled people
    Non-trivial projects
    ability to develop, enhance skills, learn

Consoncall: hard to maintain life-work balance due to oncall
    minimal company benefits

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attention to employees, make the, feel valued

Satisfied with compensation and work life balance

ProsSalary and work life balance

ConsNothing new to learn and someone who is only 2 years old in the company

Awesome place to work with amazing people

Software Development Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsSuper talented people, great amount of opportunities to learn

ConsNone as of now.................................

Great experience

Associate (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsPlenty of opportunities to obtain leadership experience Great people around. I have found my personal growth to be immensely satisfying. Senior management is very helpful in terms of mentoring.

ConsWork pressure is high. Compensation and benefits are not that great considering the amount of time spent in working. OT is rarely paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't be diplomatic.

the overall experience was very good and looking forward to build my career in Amazon.

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

Prosthe best thing about amazon is flexibility to work and obviously the perks.

Consyou should be keep on learning and develop your self to compete inside company.

Advice to Senior Managementthe important things are maintain a good and highly professional environment inside company.there should be enough opportunity inside company for growth for high performance employee.

Good Learning Experience, But can be hectic

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

Pros- Great compensation
    - Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development
    - looks good on resume

Cons- Depending on the team, work-life balance can be virtually non-existent. This is highly dependent on the manager
    - No perks such as free food, drinks, etc in majority of Amazon (In the palo alto office, we do get free snacks and drinks)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so dam frugal, improve the perks to match other tech giants.

Good experience with many opportunities to excel

Senior Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Proswork culture, senior management, opportunity

Consbenefits, compensation tied heavily to stock performance

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!