Amazon.com

Employer Engaged

Fast paced and rewarding

Current Contractor - Associate in Mississauga, ON
    Current Contractor - Associate in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Growing company with many opportunities. Consistently evolving with new trends.

Cons

Relatively low pay for hourly employees

unique place to work

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor

Pros

uniqueness, great business plan / ideology

Cons

lack of real organization, communication

ask yourselves the reason of high turnouts on hiring/firing

Ownership culture, interesting technology, and a bright future

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazon is an amazing company - I haven't seen anything like it. It's a place where you're encouraged to "Think Big" while still having to focus on the details and deliver results. There are truly incredible people working here, and it's easy to reach across the organization and benefit from their knowledge. This is a company where displays of true ownership are rewarded. If you see a problem or an opportunity, don't wait for someone else to give you permission to look at it - go and see! Sure, you shouldn't go off for two weeks working on something new without telling anyone, but management is open to hearing about ideas about what needs to be done.

The Vancouver office is a "remote" office in that it's a few hours away from the corporate HQ in Seattle, but the culture here is very much Amazonian. The leadership principles are consistent across the company (although occasionally open to interpretation), and as we continue to grow the office feels more and more like a "1st class" Amazon office every day.

Amazon has had a bad reputation about operational load, but I can only speak to my own experience - the load is minimal. It is very rare that someone on my team gets paged because of an issue, and almost always that takes place during business time. Having the team handle operations, instead of sourcing it out to a dedicated support team, instills a strong quality ethic in the team and as a result the software is of much higher quality.

Cons

Amazon is great place, but it's also a huge and varied place. Your Amazon experience will depend largely on two things - how much of a self-started you are, and what team you're on.

There are a lot of opportunities, but you need to reach out and grab them. Very little will be spoon-fed to you unless you are at the lowest levels, and even then there is an expectation of motivation and initiative (or "bias for action"). Waiting for the action to come to you is not a successful strategy, be it interesting projects, new technologies, promotions, or anything else.

Amazon is relatively decentralized, meaning that it's up to each organization, division, and even manager to run their group the way they want. Sometimes things will be circumstantial - inheriting a legacy system, etc. - but often a manager's or organization's policies will greatly impact how much you like work here. Luckily, people are relatively free to move around within the company, so unhappy teams will bleed developers to teams with better reputations.

Handling a company that's growing as rapidly as this one is difficult. I think you are doing a good job, but one way of improving would be to be more transparent as to how things in the employee survey are handled. Many of them ARE getting handled, but it's not always obvious how.

Work hard yes. Have fun, yes. Make history, I hope!

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, good and qualified colleagues, and good principles. I get to work on interesting projects and to decide how to do them: from design to implementation, we do it all ourselves. Some teams work on exciting projects, others work on necessary projects. Less thrilling, but still huge amounts of data or money flows through our software, and it's gratifying to know we make a difference.

Cons

Your career seems to be entirely in your hands, and some bars seem pretty high.

Varies by team and "frugal"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern

Pros

Seattle is great. Housing was good. Pay is very good. Great relocation team.

Cons

Frugal means fewer and lower quality perks. Some of things we were given fell apart. Mostly importantly experience varies greatly by team. A bad team means a very bad experience, as you are yelled at and overworked. Overwork is the culture. You will miss traditional software engineering practices, as often release is more important than quality- disproportionately so and scope creep is out of control on some teams. Recruiting is slipshod, they disappear for weeks at a time.

Better management practices for interns and employees. Some software engineering practices.

Challenging work and smart people all around. No perks. High turn over rate.

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

High hiring standards mean you will be surrounded with smart people. Easy to transfer to other jobs inside the company. Good stepping stone as a means to reach nerdvana ( Google, Facebook, Apple ).

Cons

Excessive overtime without compensation. Difficult to schedule vacations. Poor scheduling of projects. Favouritism. Below average pay. Benefit plan is average. Promotions are difficult to get and the pay raise is very low. Expected to perform at new job level for a full year before promotion will be considered. Two years at Amazon is considered a very long time.

An eye for an eye... in other words, make sure employees get just rewards for their efforts.

Interesting place to work

Former Employee - Operations Leadership Intern in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Operations Leadership Intern in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work
    Lots of other responcibility and freedom

Cons

No a very good grounding process to learn what to do

Meh

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

High hiring bar ensures smart teammates

Cons

Everyone is overworked.
    Ops load is pretty high.

Dont set aggressive deadlines

Take Google's engineering scale, mix Apple's customer satisfaction focus, and you get Amazon

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

For an engineer, not excited about the roller-coaster ride in a start-up, it cannot get any better than Amazon. You will get to work of technologies that need to scale to cater million if customer, and hundreds of million requests made by these customers. With AWS as backbone, and working with tons of in-house and open source technologies, you will gain invaluable experience, which ensure both technical and financial growth. The companies motto of being frugal and passing the saving to the customer will ensure you always come up with the right engineering solution to problem.

Cons

Good pay, but not a lot of extra perks. Limited financial growth at the company, but it prepares you for good financial growth outside the company.

Invest a bit more in employees

Work Hard, Play Hard

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

They work you hard, which occasionally leads to burnout, but the work tends to be quite interesting, which makes the whole process satisfying.

Cons

Minimal perks, frugal is an understatement, but occasionally it's to the point of penny pinching. Depending on your team, there may be as little as no team building type activities, though I've heard tales of other teams that do beer and boardgames and pizza quite frequently

If yo have a budget to spend on your team, spend it! It's there to make sure your team is working in tip top shape. It may not seem like much but when there's a little bit of tangible gratitude for the work we've been putting in, it's quite uplifting.