Amazon.com Reviews

3,489 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,418 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok Gets the bills paid

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

They give you plenty of time off...PTO and UPT

Cons

HR Doesn't know anything so do your own research

personal growth, amazing technology, independence - but for a price

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to work on a huge distributed system with a lot of independence Amazon is a great place. Every team acts like a small start-up and has a lot of freedom. You will learn very quickly and get a lot of responsibility. There is no bureaucracy or processes which get in your way, so you will be able to decide on your own (with peer guidance) and build quickly. I was amazed every day how complex and challenging things I can do and how much I learned.

If you want to have an interesting job where you can grow and do not mind to work hard you may be willing to accept that Amazon is not perfect. Yes, there are few companies which are equally interesting and have a better culture and perks, but it's much easier to fail interviews there - you know, the prettiest girl in town may be fussy like hell. Not that it's trivial to get to Amazon, but it's for sure easier.

The unique knowledge and experience that you will get in Amazon is priceless and worth all the disadvantages described below. You will not learn distributed systems just from books and Amazon is a perfect place to do it. And there is a chance that you will fall in love with the company and stay there for long. If not, what you learn will significantly increase your chances to get a much better job.

Cons

There is a lot of stress and pressure, so many people around you will be overwhelmed. For the same reason personnel rotation is very high, so knowledge is constantly being lost and you are expected to live with that.

The recruiter who contacts you at the beginning determines which team you will be in for the first year, you have very little to say about that. So ask about it at the beginning and try to find a different recruiter if you do not like what the team does.

There are basically no perks, free food, raises or bonuses in Amazon as it operates on low margins and invests all profits. That make it very frugal. Assume that the salary & stocks which you get at the beginning is what you will receive for few years. In your office you will find all that you need, but it will not be a pretty place which you want to show to friends.

In most cases you will be expected to be accessible by phone at any time as you are responsible for your systems to be always up and running. On-call duty takes 7 days every 6 to 9 weeks, you will not be able to code or travel during the weekend when you are on-call.

Do not expect too much guidance from managers, often they have little technical skills.
    Your colleagues will be intelligent, but often quite competitive.

Stop putting so much pressure on lower management, it propagates down to the bottom and destroys morale.
    Emphasize the value of a team instead of worshiping individuals.

Opportunity like nowhere else

Current Employee - Software Development Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to get things done and grow your resume. You are working with really smart people and have access to a lot of enablers. The culture here enshrines "bias for action" which is your license to cut through the red tape when it gets in the way.

Cons

Low titles, lack of performance pay. The appearance of frugality is valued beyond its business benefit. This can make you feel less valued regardless of your salary. Stack ranking encourages people to play the system rather than do the right thing. Negotiate hard before you arrive.

The first few performance reviews here are tougher than they should be and lead to attrition. Managers have to play the system to give promotions and money where they can. Because overall Amazon has been so successful, upper management has failed to recognize the cost of this attrition and how much better performance could be without this problem. We are using up our talent pool and our competitors are skilled at playing up the negative aspects of the culture here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome!!!

Current Employee - Process Assistant  in  Carlisle, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Carlisle, PA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are so many opportunities!!! Very customer oriented with always pursuing new ways to be more efficient with frugality.

Cons

Lots of changes all the time in streamlining the processes for customer experience....

Train your upcoming middle managers to be prepared and give them the feedback they deserve (be it positive or negative)...

Good And Bad, But Overall Okay

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company.

a). Amazon is perhaps one of the best companies when it comes to interesting projects. Almost includes all areas you can think of. It's leading in cloud computing and also releasing new devices yearly. Tons of challenges. Great leadership from Jeff Bezos. I like where this company is headed.

b). Amazon has an official dog policy that allows you to bring your dog to work on a daily basis which is really cool.

c). Paid time off 6 days. Pretty good. 3 sick days. Okay.

Cons

a). In terms of compensation, average base salary, great sign-on bonus, lame stock bonus over first 2 years(4 years allocation ratio of your stock bonus: 5%, 15%, 40%, 40%) then it's better. No cash bonus ever after the sign-on bonus though. You also won't receive any stock bonus on your first performance review, either. Last but not the least, their salary bump is minimal compared to other IT companies.

b). No perk at all. You want free food? Go elsewhere. You want free parking? Go elsewhere. You want office? Go elsewhere.

c). No green card for immigrant SDE1s because you are not valuable to the company. SDE2s will get theirs going after half a year of service. Although exceptions can be given from time to time. And usually managers understands it and will help you.

d). Oncall experience is different significantly from teams to teams. Cannot say much about that. My team is mostly okay. But I have heard horrible stories, and I am not planning to experience those.

e). People move very frequently. Promotion can be a problem when your manager keeps coming and going and nobody has a set of continuous datapoints of you.

f). 2 weeks of vacation in the first year. Then 3 weeks starting from your second year. 2 weeks is well below IT company standard. Although they kind of making up for it by adding 9 extra days(6 PTO + 3 sick days)

Grant green card for immigrants immediately. Add perk. Those will help you keep your employees from moving.

I loved the work pace

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

It have a lot of benefits

Cons

Getting your work expectation is so hard

Great work experience at Amazon.

Former Employee - NAFC Workers' Compensation Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - NAFC Workers' Compensation Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great flexibility in work hours for management, telecommuting options, base salary and opportunities for new innovative ideas.

Cons

Some drawbacks are the number of associates assigned to each area manager to supervise (Too many), lack of standard work and protocol in many job areas, very high turnover, and over reliance on technology in some instances.

Great place for internship

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

colorful life in Seattle, well-paid salary for interns

Cons

very little annual bonus

Operations Leadership Intern

Former Employee - Operations Leadership  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Leadership in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-fantastic, growing company with unbelievable leadership development. You're thrown straight into the fray and have to sink or swim. If you can make it, you'll make a fortune in a very short amount of time. Love and die by the leadership principles

Future employers love seeing Amazon on a resume. Got interest from many companies after internship who previously wrote me off.

Cons

Very physically demanding. No sitting and it can be very difficult to motivate those around you.

Stay in touch and empathetic with associates at all times. They rely on you.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership: Amazon gives employees a lot of ownership over the projects they are working on.

Career growth: There are tons of internal opportunities for growth and you are able to drive you own career trajectory. Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Work life balance: I heard some of the complaints about work life balance before joining Amazon, but in my time here I have not experienced any issues with work life balance. The work schedule is flexible and I rarely take any work home with me.

Cons

Company can be a bit too frugal at times, not a lot of perks. Fortunately the frugality is not reflected in the compensation. I would like to see a better 401(k) match.

Make the 401(k) more competitive to other companies in the industry.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!