Amazon.com Reviews

3,568 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,482 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome!!!

Current Employee - Process Assistant  in  Carlisle, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Carlisle, PA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are so many opportunities!!! Very customer oriented with always pursuing new ways to be more efficient with frugality.

Cons

Lots of changes all the time in streamlining the processes for customer experience....

Train your upcoming middle managers to be prepared and give them the feedback they deserve (be it positive or negative)...

Great Learning and a big ownership

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Learning and a big ownership - very cross-functional experience, working for a company that is long term focused, very ambitious and puts customer first, very strong culture

Cons

Very intense, not big on formal training (you are expected to learn on the job), most people find work-life balance getting skewed in favor of work, strong culture means you either fit in or would not survive for long

Provide more BI support to business teams, have a process to check the managers who only manage upward

Work hard and have fun

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer I  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer I in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance and great work encironment

Cons

Need to deal with targets and work pressure during Q4

Need to be more transparent on appraisal

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"It's like doing an MBA on amphetamines."

Former Employee - Head of Sales, UK  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head of Sales, UK in London, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazon is an astonishing place to work. Highly meritocratic, with enormous weight given to KPIs and metrics, and letting data guide your way. The high hiring bar means that you'll genuinely be working with the smartest people around - I spent the first year trying not to be the dumbest guy in the room. The green field thinking is awesome - you can approach problems without constraints. The leadership principles are also superb - they work, because Amazon uses them to guide and steer every part of the company, from hiring, to making strategic decisions, to resolving point issues - that makes them very, very powerful as a way to align an entire company. I also got to work with some of the best SVP/management talent in the world.

Cons

Jeff Bezos - "You work smart, hard and long - and two out of three don't cut it. "

The working hours can be appalling - I was doing 73-74 hours per week, and it's very unsympathetic towards anything outside work, like family. It's also quite an unsentimental business - people don't tend to build great personal relationships, or if they do, they can be jettisoned quite fast.

Watch for burnout in your level 7 and 8 staff. Everyone's terrified of saying that the are taking too much on. In an offsite, after much beer, one person started quite bravely saying 'I'm working myself into the ground' and pretty much everyone sighed and agreed. These are some of the best and brightest, and Amazon can literally be killing them. A bit more understanding of that would be good for the company.

It all depends on your team

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazon is like a company of companies. You will have different experiences depending on which team you work on. I say this because, I interned at Amazon twice... on different teams. You can't judge the company as a whole when it comes to your work experience. Also, your manager is very important, when it comes to dictating your experience at Amazon.

The general pros of working here:

-So many smart people, you will find a lot of diversity here as well.
    -Interesting projects and products that they have
    -Great salary, relocation, and starting bonuses
    -Working from Home is an option, as long as you get your work done
    -Lots and lots of different technologies used spread through different teams
    -You can come in to work late... How late depends on team of course.
    -You may get invited to free fun events! ie: Free food, sports, etc. (very team dependent)

Cons

-Work-life balance can be pretty bad. I've had experiences where people get to leave early or late. It depends on the person and how much work is assigned to them. Also, of course, their skill level
    -A lot of tasks are assigned to you
    -On-call can be hectic, this is team dependent, some teams have a easier On-call experience then others...
    -Code base might be outdated, and annoying to work with
    -You may plateau in learning, depending on what your team does, (Maintenance vs Creating)

Before joining Amazon, try to look into which teams are generally good and which aren't. I won't lie, that is, most of the teams tend to get bombarded with work and stay at work late.

Overall, it's a nice company to work for.

-Lower the work load, make employees more happier.
    -Measure each team's work load and try to make team bigger if it's too high.
    -Add overtime salary for people that have to stay late
    -More fun events for all teams.

Lack of competent leaders; no respect for work/life; smart people

Former Employee - Accounting Senior Manager  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Accounting Senior Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay with stock is above average
    Endless challenges
    People who devote all waking hours to work are rewarded
    Can bring your dogs
    SLU is a nice campus
    Looks good on your résumé

Cons

No ability to do other stuff outside of work
    Hours can be long - 12-14 a day
    No option to work remotely
    Director levels are out of touch with teams and have no idea the impact the quality of life for people below them
    Replacing people who quit can take 6+ months which means managers end up doing analyst work just to get by
    Very high rates of people leaving due to stress and hours - average tenure is less than 1 year
    No perks or special employee benefits
    Promotions are rare if not impossible

Stick to your own leadership principles and realize its poor management at the top that leads to a poorly performing bad morale team

Enjoy the challenges, opportunities, environment, and people.

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's exciting being part of a fast paced company that loves innovation and lives their values on a daily basis. I feel adequately compensated for my time and efforts and feel rewarded just for being an employee.

Cons

With the fast pace comes the occasional extra long days but when things slow down it's not a crime to take a longer lunch or leave early (full-time salaried). Because of the many opportunities people you work with often move up our out of your org and ideas or projects can go unfinished.

Never lose the business transparency, keep the open door policy, continue to be involved with every member of your team.

Good Company

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

It's a big company and a good place to learn.

Cons

You have to be on your own.

SDE Intern at Amazon Seattle HQ.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great pay. Good working environment. Dog lover. Their internship is one of the best one. You have your own project. Learn a lot from their process. Also easier than some other companies to get return offer.

Cons

Food is bad. Nothing is for free. Don't like company culture.

I don't like the company culture.

Great Warehouse

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Lewisberry, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lewisberry, PA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, and great place to work overall.

Cons

Sometimes management can be over the top during peak, but that's everywhere you go.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!