Amazon.com

3.3 3,301 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,298 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights
3,301 Employee Reviews

Fantastic company and one of the best job in my career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company ,nice culture. make history and have fun.

Consnot much to say here. I enjoyed my life at the company.

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosindustry leading products and services available

Consfew chances to get promoted

software engineering

Prosit is a gaood experience

Consthere nothing bad about it

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Development Engineer

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsYou learn the latest technologies, and how to scale for millions

ConsCompensation and benefits should improve

In love- but there's room for improvement

Process Assistant (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

No scholarship opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons

Fast paced and rewarding

Associate (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsGrowing company with many opportunities. Consistently evolving with new trends.

ConsRelatively low pay for hourly employees

unique place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosuniqueness, great business plan / ideology

Conslack of real organization, communication

Advice to Senior Managementask yourselves the reason of high turnouts on hiring/firing

Work hard yes. Have fun, yes. Make history, I hope!

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsNice atmosphere, good and qualified colleagues, and good principles. I get to work on interesting projects and to decide how to do them: from design to implementation, we do it all ourselves. Some teams work on exciting projects, others work on necessary projects. Less thrilling, but still huge amounts of data or money flows through our software, and it's gratifying to know we make a difference.

ConsYour career seems to be entirely in your hands, and some bars seem pretty high.

Great learning experience, great people, but tiring

Software Development Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros-A lot of code to work with.
    -Work culture is nice and casual.
    -Great people to work with (most of the time).
    -Learning experience is good
    -Good system to work with once you get used to it
    -Good pay as a intern, and perks

Cons-High expectations
    -Expected to deliver a lot and often
    -Can be stressful at times
    -Some people don't take ownership of mistakes
    -System takes a while to get used to

Advice to Senior ManagementA better training course would be awesome and beneficial to new hires.

Ownership culture, interesting technology, and a bright future

Software Development Manager (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsAmazon is an amazing company - I haven't seen anything like it. It's a place where you're encouraged to "Think Big" while still having to focus on the details and deliver results. There are truly incredible people working here, and it's easy to reach across the organization and benefit from their knowledge. This is a company where displays of true ownership are rewarded. If you see a problem or an opportunity, don't wait for someone else to give you permission to look at it - go and see! Sure, you shouldn't go off for two weeks working on something new without telling anyone, but management is open to hearing about ideas about what needs to be done.

The Vancouver office is a "remote" office in that it's a few hours away from the corporate HQ in Seattle, but the culture here is very much Amazonian. The leadership principles are consistent across the company (although occasionally open to interpretation), and as we continue to grow the office feels more and more like a "1st class" Amazon office every day.

Amazon has had a bad reputation about operational load, but I can only speak to my own experience - the load is minimal. It is very rare that someone on my team gets paged because of an issue, and almost always that takes place during business time. Having the team handle operations, instead of sourcing it out to a dedicated support team, instills a strong quality ethic in the team and as a result the software is of much higher quality.

ConsAmazon is great place, but it's also a huge and varied place. Your Amazon experience will depend largely on two things - how much of a self-started you are, and what team you're on.

There are a lot of opportunities, but you need to reach out and grab them. Very little will be spoon-fed to you unless you are at the lowest levels, and even then there is an expectation of motivation and initiative (or "bias for action"). Waiting for the action to come to you is not a successful strategy, be it interesting projects, new technologies, promotions, or anything else.

Amazon is relatively decentralized, meaning that it's up to each organization, division, and even manager to run their group the way they want. Sometimes things will be circumstantial - inheriting a legacy system, etc. - but often a manager's or organization's policies will greatly impact how much you like work here. Luckily, people are relatively free to move around within the company, so unhappy teams will bleed developers to teams with better reputations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHandling a company that's growing as rapidly as this one is difficult. I think you are doing a good job, but one way of improving would be to be more transparent as to how things in the employee survey are handled. Many of them ARE getting handled, but it's not always obvious how.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!