Amazon.com

3.3 3,302 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,299 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights
3,302 Employee Reviews

Interesting work & everyday is a new challenge

Sales (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsWork life balance & fair wage for job expectations

ConsNeed to be on top of your game everyday

Advice to Senior ManagementMore one on one coaching

Intense

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of projects to work on, they will give you lots of exposure to different things, never boring. Some very bright people work there. Everything changes quickly and you are expected to stay on top of it all. Peak is as busy as you have heard.

ConsPace is high, and not much is given to reduce it. Family and personal time must be put 2nd.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the churn. Its variation and goes against tenets of standardization

Swamped with legacy hacks

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere are great opportunities and the scale at which Amazon operates is amazing.

ConsOnly 10% of the time is spent on new development, and the rest we are putting out fires. Prepare to inherit a legacy of hacks with little tests and no documentation (tribal knowledge is the norm). You will have to keep this software running 24/7 and do whatever it takes to keep it up to date with whatever changes in the runtime environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some process in place for change management, and have less process when it comes to bureaucracy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hire the best, use them for menial tasks

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsRelatively good software development practices

ConsToronto office is a second-class citizen in Amazon world. The salary is lower than in Seattle and the work is less interesting. Working in a remote office means spending half of the day writing e-mails. You can get into a team in which you almost don't get to code and spend a lot of time with administration and maintenance. Amazon's frugality is sometimes ridiculous - you get the cheapest monitors, keyboards, etc, regardless of poor quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some Toronto-based projects which require less worldwide communication. Raise the salaries to the level in Seattle. Don't be cheap.

Ambassador

Ambassador (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsGreat work atmosphere get to know lot of thinks and on how to work with multi-culture people.

ConsPeak seasons are very challenging just need to keep your cool and calmness.

Amazing company feels like a startup

Business Intelligence Engineer II (Current Employee)

ProsGreat peers and senior. People really try to develop the best product. Bottom up company where individual opinion no matter from where it comes matters. Startup culture , high quality engineering.

ConsHigh performance bar that is continuously raised, means one cannot rest on past laurels. This means continuous drain of energy and long work hours, which can be exhausting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has grown too big and the challenge for the management is to retain and preserve the Amazon culture of innovating on behalf of its customers and not get bogged down by sheer stress of managing such a giant company.

Operations Manager

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Mississauga Valley, ON

ProsThe company leer you by offering above average pay for management level. Base pay is not above average but they do offer higher than normal signing bonus meant to keep you engaged for two years.

ConsOverall, the worst place I have worked. They have a lot of good things on paper but the company does not care about it employees. Managers are not allowed vacation between October 01 and December 31. Because you cannot take vacation you accumulate many vacation days and if you try and take them you a made to feel like you are not a good employee. You literally are demoralized for using a vacation day.

I am white male. The company will hire minorities but treat them as a slave labor force, including the managers. Minorities on all levels are treated poorly. In less than one year I have seen 11 managers get fired and 7 resign. Managers come and go. Do not leave your job for Amazon and do not be fooled buy the huge signing bonus and offer of RSU. You will regret taking the bonus because when you are either fired or resign you will be made to repay.

Worst place to work. As soon as I complete my two years here as Operations Manager I am resigning.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage People Attack Process

Like being in a religious cult...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only thing I can think of is that you can put Amazon on your resume and other employers will be impressed...

ConsPoor training, so many acronyms that I'm willing to bet no one knows what they all mean, too metric driven, operation is ruled by Finance, poor treatment of their associates, incredibly frugal/cheap, absolutely no work/life balance (extremely long hours and during peak period, you are putting in an incredible amount of hours)

Advice to Senior ManagementAssociates/Employees are not machines (even though that's probably where Amazon is heading, using robots for their orders)

grueling work

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Milton, ON

ProsPeople are very helpful. If you do your work and follow safety you are left alone (no boss looking. over your shoulder). Very good health benefits for you and your family. Three day weekend

ConsGrueling 10 hour days on your feet or walking in a huge warehouse.

Advice to Senior Managementdont bs about safety. There are very unsafe arrangement of products. Fix it first and then talk about safety.

Software Developer

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsVery smart people to work with

ConsOncall responsibility so we have to work on weekends

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!