Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,045 ratings)

2,800 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly"
    in 264 reviews
  • "You learn a lot about leadership principles and how to manage people"
    in 78 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel"
    in 438 reviews
  • "Pathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political"
    in 100 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com

Prosindustry leading products and services available

Consfew chances to get promoted

Software Development Engineer

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsYou learn the latest technologies, and how to scale for millions

ConsCompensation and benefits should improve

software engineering

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Prosit is a gaood experience

Consthere nothing bad about it

In love- but there's room for improvement

Process Assistant (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons

Fast paced and rewarding

Associate (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGrowing company with many opportunities. Consistently evolving with new trends.

ConsRelatively low pay for hourly employees

unique place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor

Prosuniqueness, great business plan / ideology

Conslack of real organization, communication

Advice to Senior Managementask yourselves the reason of high turnouts on hiring/firing

Work hard yes. Have fun, yes. Make history, I hope!

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

ProsNice atmosphere, good and qualified colleagues, and good principles. I get to work on interesting projects and to decide how to do them: from design to implementation, we do it all ourselves. Some teams work on exciting projects, others work on necessary projects. Less thrilling, but still huge amounts of data or money flows through our software, and it's gratifying to know we make a difference.

ConsYour career seems to be entirely in your hands, and some bars seem pretty high.

Great learning experience, great people, but tiring

Software Development Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros-A lot of code to work with.
-Work culture is nice and casual.
-Great people to work with (most of the time).
-Learning experience is good
-Good system to work with once you get used to it
-Good pay as a intern, and perks

Cons-High expectations
-Expected to deliver a lot and often
-Can be stressful at times
-Some people don't take ownership of mistakes
-System takes a while to get used to

Advice to Senior ManagementA better training course would be awesome and beneficial to new hires.

Ownership culture, interesting technology, and a bright future

Software Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazon is an amazing company - I haven't seen anything like it. It's a place where you're encouraged to "Think Big" while still having to focus on the details and deliver results. There are truly incredible people working here, and it's easy to reach across the organization and benefit from their knowledge. This is a company where displays of true ownership are rewarded. If you see a problem or an opportunity, don't wait for someone else to give you permission to look at it - go and see! Sure, you shouldn't go off for two weeks working on something new without telling anyone, but management is open to hearing about ideas about what needs to be done.

The Vancouver office is a "remote" office in that it's a few hours away from the corporate HQ in Seattle, but the culture here is very much Amazonian. The leadership principles are consistent across the company (although occasionally open to interpretation), and as we continue to grow the office feels more and more like a "1st class" Amazon office every day.

Amazon has had a bad reputation about operational load, but I can only speak to my own experience - the load is minimal. It is very rare that someone on my team gets paged because of an issue, and almost always that takes place during business time. Having the team handle operations, instead of sourcing it out to a dedicated support team, instills a strong quality ethic in the team and as a result the software is of much higher quality.

ConsAmazon is great place, but it's also a huge and varied place. Your Amazon experience will depend largely on two things - how much of a self-started you are, and what team you're on.

There are a lot of opportunities, but you need to reach out and grab them. Very little will be spoon-fed to you unless you are at the lowest levels, and even then there is an expectation of motivation and initiative (or "bias for action"). Waiting for the action to come to you is not a successful strategy, be it interesting projects, new technologies, promotions, or anything else.

Amazon is relatively decentralized, meaning that it's up to each organization, division, and even manager to run their group the way they want. Sometimes things will be circumstantial - inheriting a legacy system, etc. - but often a manager's or organization's policies will greatly impact how much you like work here. Luckily, people are relatively free to move around within the company, so unhappy teams will bleed developers to teams with better reputations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHandling a company that's growing as rapidly as this one is difficult. I think you are doing a good job, but one way of improving would be to be more transparent as to how things in the employee survey are handled. Many of them ARE getting handled, but it's not always obvious how.

Varies by team and "frugal"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern

ProsSeattle is great. Housing was good. Pay is very good. Great relocation team.

ConsFrugal means fewer and lower quality perks. Some of things we were given fell apart. Mostly importantly experience varies greatly by team. A bad team means a very bad experience, as you are yelled at and overworked. Overwork is the culture. You will miss traditional software engineering practices, as often release is more important than quality- disproportionately so and scope creep is out of control on some teams. Recruiting is slipshod, they disappear for weeks at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter management practices for interns and employees. Some software engineering practices.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 2,800 reviews are posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.