Amazon.com

3.3 3,262 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,275 ratings)

Pros
  • You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career(in 98 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 302 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 535 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 123 reviews)

3,262 Employee Reviews

It's intense but I learned alot

ProsAmazon has its leadership principles. Leadership principle is not only the guide for interviews but also the guide for internal ratings of current employees. This principle demonstrates good company culture.

ConsCondensation is good according to other tech companies. Benefit is rather week. Amazon promotes frugality. Working extra hours at work is a demonstration of hard work. However I am sure for all companies, everyone will be particularly busy during launch times.

Full of learnings - Good pay but you need to take your growth in your hand

Site Merchandiser (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsLearnings
    Innovation
    Excitement
    The company will give you great opportunities to own up new things especially if you are on a senior role.

ConsStructure
    Slow Growth
    The lower the leveling bar you are, it will be difficult for you to grow and make everyone happy. It is a highly opinionated company and of course at the end, opinion of the seniors matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance

Amazon is the future

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsProduct breadth, opportunity to develop and learn is huge. You can work in whatever you are interested in. There is a great website. Then there are high performance/scale services which are core part of business. Then there is AWS, hardware, kindle and the list goes on.
    It's generally easy to switch teams and moving to other roles is encouraged.
    Mostly smart people around.
    Compensation is competitive and great potential of stock is a silver-lining on the top of that.
    Just loving the company and work.

ConsSometimes work could be hectic but that's ok. Some managers are political & bad but many are good. Again few teams do not do great work but just operations or maintenance so be choosy.
    Don't expect great facilities as it's very frugal company but essential benefits are comparable to other good companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementJeff Bezos is a true visionary & genius. One thing that differentiates him is he is constantly watchful. He is making the company innovate. Customers are loving it and most products are generally more successful then other companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mostly good experience

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsOwnership, high impact, fast moving, innovative, lots to choose from, not as political as other cos.

Conspay and promotion, lack of training opportunities

working experience at amazon.com

Prosvery good working culture
    pretty good opportunities to move into better roles

Conssalary
    work-life balance depends on the team and project you are working for

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of employees in the same way you take care of your customers

Great company doing great things and re-imagining online retail.

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Naples (Italy)

ProsCorporate focus on long term growth and strength, major growth inside the company to match the growth of consumer base.

ConsDemanding expectation of leaders, performance bar is fast moving and hard to match.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluation, improvement, and utilization of talent in the company may help grow internal performance and increase satisfaction of employees.

Sales

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsNice environment but insensitive people

ConsPoor management and lack of responsibility permeates the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring it up the game

Great company to work for - everyone is super friendly.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Cork (Ireland)

ProsReally good training provided. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Regular work nights out and themed days. Team Leaders are really helpful and friendly, and the support system for new staff is great.

ConsThe pay isn't great for entry-level jobs, and the hours can be a bit nuts. There can be a lot of shift work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement are pretty good in my opinion - never had any issues.

Great place to work

Cloud Support Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsSo many pros, I'll do this bullet point style so this doesn't get too long:
    - Ability to work from home
    - Flexible schedules, ability to work 4 10 hour shifts and that means a lot of time off (3 days off every week is awesome!)
    - Great work life balance (I know a lot of people say Amazon doesn't have this, however I think this is highly dependent on what team you work in and the manager you have, i'm fortunate enough to have both a great team and manager)
    - Pretty good compensation (amazon believes in total compensation, I will go into further details in cons)
    - Learn a ton on the job and have access to the latest and greatest in Cloud Computing
    - Occasional free food including free breakfast cereals most of the month
    - Lots of very smart people to learn from and collaborate with
    - Opportunity to advance, after working one year you are free to apply for any job in the company...you are really only limited by your own ambition and hard work at Amazon.
    - Helping fix customer problems makes me happy, but I might be weird
    - You are always empowered to fight for and help the customer, which makes it easy to do your job

Cons- "Frugality" can sometimes go too far, employee perks don't match up with the Googles and Facebooks of the world. This is across the board. They are decent with perks, but not great.
    - Total compensation means that you will always be paid in both stock and salary, and while its nice to own stock in a good company, it can also be used against you because the RSUs take 2 years to vest, and you can run into situations where because you were previously given a vest, you will not get another one even though it might be warranted (raise, promotion, etc). the continual 2 year vests can also seem like golden handcuffs.
    - Working in Premium Support at times can feel like a call center; you have set times when you need to be available for phones and chats and that can sometimes be aggravating.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways make sure to hire and staff a SURPLUS of support engineers to be available to handle all the calls/chats/email cases. It is crucial to continually hire and develop the best candidates in order to stay ahead of customer demand and ensure a positive and well functioning org. With how fast AWS is growing (and specifically support), Less is definitely not More in this situation.

A lot of work, but satisfying for those who enjoy it.

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsGreat cardio workout if you're on the floor. people have been fun and enjoyable for the most part. If you get a blue badge the opportunities are seemingly endless.

ConsHours during peak season can be a bit much, I hardly saw my family over the holiday season last year. I've heard a lot of things that are said will happen to better the working experience but are nowhere in sight.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!