Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,242 ratings)

3,204 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly"
    in 275 reviews
  • "You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career"
    in 88 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel"
    in 480 reviews
  • "Pathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political"
    in 110 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

we all don't work in Seattle

Area Manager (Current Employee)
    Allentown, PA (US)

Prossalary is much higher then in most companies

ConsWork life balance
    expectations are very high
    lots of politics if you want to move up

Advice to Senior Managementpractice what you preach

It's intense but I learned alot

ProsAmazon has its leadership principles. Leadership principle is not only the guide for interviews but also the guide for internal ratings of current employees. This principle demonstrates good company culture.

ConsCondensation is good according to other tech companies. Benefit is rather week. Amazon promotes frugality. Working extra hours at work is a demonstration of hard work. However I am sure for all companies, everyone will be particularly busy during launch times.

Amazing experience with brilliant people, but upward mobility is challenging due to many layers of middle management.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA (US)

ProsIt's good to be the king. AWS is the market leader, but engineering doesn't act like it. Extremely innovative and fast paced. If you appreciate the technology it never gets boring to sell it. The people are amazing, and because the hiring process is so daunting odds are most of your peers are solid contributors. Great opportunity to make money if you are hungry and resourceful.

ConsThere are many layers of middle management that came from far less innovative companies and it shows in the increasing amounts of bureaucracy and politics. The hiring process is arduous and sometimes freezes out good candidates. Upward mobility is really hard, especially with many layers of middle management almost all of which were hired externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of management seems to focus on what makes them look good as opposed to what makes their team look good (which has the same result).

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Full of learnings - Good pay but you need to take your growth in your hand

Site Merchandiser (Current Employee)
    Bangalore (India)

ProsLearnings
    Innovation
    Excitement
    The company will give you great opportunities to own up new things especially if you are on a senior role.

ConsStructure
    Slow Growth
    The lower the leveling bar you are, it will be difficult for you to grow and make everyone happy. It is a highly opinionated company and of course at the end, opinion of the seniors matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance

Amazon is the future

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Bangalore (India)

ProsProduct breadth, opportunity to develop and learn is huge. You can work in whatever you are interested in. There is a great website. Then there are high performance/scale services which are core part of business. Then there is AWS, hardware, kindle and the list goes on.
    It's generally easy to switch teams and moving to other roles is encouraged.
    Mostly smart people around.
    Compensation is competitive and great potential of stock is a silver-lining on the top of that.
    Just loving the company and work.

ConsSometimes work could be hectic but that's ok. Some managers are political & bad but many are good. Again few teams do not do great work but just operations or maintenance so be choosy.
    Don't expect great facilities as it's very frugal company but essential benefits are comparable to other good companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementJeff Bezos is a true visionary & genius. One thing that differentiates him is he is constantly watchful. He is making the company innovate. Customers are loving it and most products are generally more successful then other companies.

Mostly good experience

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA (US)

ProsOwnership, high impact, fast moving, innovative, lots to choose from, not as political as other cos.

Conspay and promotion, lack of training opportunities

Big impact work, great team, no work life balance

Technical Program Manager III (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA (US)

ProsSmart, highly motivated team, initiatives that have direct customer impact, high visibility in the organization. Own your product end-to-end from conception to implementation to delivery to maintenance.

ConsVery aggressive goals, no work life balance. Boss works harder than me because boss has more agressive goals. Company expects to work hard, work smart and work long hours. All teams own online services and you are never off work if you are the manager. Need to invest in a support org for live issues that pop up in the middle of the night.

working experience at amazon.com

Prosvery good working culture
    pretty good opportunities to move into better roles

Conssalary
    work-life balance depends on the team and project you are working for

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of employees in the same way you take care of your customers

Sales

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA (US)

ProsNice environment but insensitive people

ConsPoor management and lack of responsibility permeates the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring it up the game

If it fits for you, a great place to learn and build

Prosthis is a company that really sticks by its principles, especially customer obsession
    your career path is your own to determine, I've always been supported in my changes (can also be a negative, see below)
    you are building cool things that affect lots of people around the world
    NEVER A DULL MOMENT, EVER

Consmassive growth can be hard to keep up with
    not a ton of help guiding your career
    no doubt it is a rat race. constant top-grading means you need to be absolutely engaged all of the time. your personal life will suffer from the time and attention you give to your job

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 3,204 reviews are posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.