Alaska Airlines

www.alaskaair.com
Employer Engaged

Pilot Scheduler

Former Employee - Pilot Scheduler in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Pilot Scheduler in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

What a wonderful job, great people and life/work balance. Time off policies are bid on and are based on your seniority, with that said it is easy to trade among your co-workers for time off.

Cons

Salaries could be greatly improved! You are a union employee however the customer service union is very weak.

Give preferential treatment for CSA's to convert to Flight Attendant.

Review

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

They have great Travel benefits

Cons

Some of their Company valuesare questionable

It's a great airline to work for!

Former Intern - Project Management and Analytics in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Intern - Project Management and Analytics in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, good colleagues, and good retirement package are big pros of the company.

Cons

Change management is a huge challenge in this place with all outdated technology and also salary is slightly lower than other major airlines.

It's time upper management realized the need to update all their outdated technology on a periodic basis throughout the company to prevent future irreparable loss.

Good overall

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I get to work with make it a great place. There is a large focus and passion on making sure everyone understands the importance of our customers. Most senior leaders have finally shifted from emotional to educated decisions, which has resulted in a lot of company growth and profitability.

Cons

Showing leadership skills is often not a prerequisite to getting a leadership position. Little has been done to make changes based on previous employee feedback surveys, and no one has been held accountable for this. Few opportunities for changing roles or new development positions. IT systems are ancient and hold back most divisions from making some major changes to how they operate.

Break down the silos between divisions and take advantage of your employees to come up with better ways of doing things. You aren't expected to have all the answers, even though you act like you are suppose to. Spend some time getting to really know your employees and seeing how they contribute to the organization.

Work, work, work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The flight benefits was the best part of the job. It was nice to go visit family every month.

Cons

Flying standby is not what it's cracked up to be. I like to call it "the lottery"... I still get stressed out whenever I'm at the airport from years of anxiety! For the position, the salary was horrible. The don't feel like I had a good work/life balance while working there.

You're employees are playing too many hats and working far too much. Salaries need to be re-evaluated to match competitors.

Quite "forward thinking"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent

I worked at Alaska Airlines part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is very pro-employee when it comes to providing for their employees. They provide many company resources for issues that arise in our personal lives. Many opportunities throughout the year to earn kudos and additional perks based I performance. Lots of training.

Cons

Like all airlines.....the schedule is the schedule. So if you need to call in sick, or need an emergency family leave...you need to have the time in your flex-type account or you need to find someone to cover your shift. Attendance is the main priority for employment. But...it keeps the employees from being lazy.

When implementing changes...run it by many employees to get their "ground level" experience to let you know what the change will REALLY impact down the line.

Great company!

Former Intern - Engineering in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Intern - Engineering in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, all my coworkers were friendly and loved having me there. The company itself has amazing benefits and a great outlook. The most friendliest airline in the US. Flexible work hours were a plus.

Cons

Things can get down a little slow but they have a lot of projects that are being worked on.

Keep up the great work!

Great company

Current Employee - CARGO in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - CARGO in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Alaska Airlines is a great company to work for. Lots of opportunities to advance. Wonderful travel benefits as long as your flexible.

Cons

Flight benefits can be difficult to use. Everything from shifts, vacation, & flight benefits are based on seniority.

Fun job overall

Current Employee - CSA in Anchorage, AK (US)
    Current Employee - CSA in Anchorage, AK (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Nice travel benefits. Works well around my family but I have been there a long time. Much better than a desk job, always busy. (sometimes too busy)

Cons

Busy and often understaffed. Having to work with the public can be a challenge at times. Very odd shift work and starting pay is low. Always new things to learn which can be both good and bad. Flights are full, harder to fly standby.

Great people and culture

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Alaska has a cadre of loyal, long term employees which speaks well of the company. The culture is generally open and collaborative which makes it easy to come to work every day. They use the PTO model instead of dividing the world into vacation and sick time. Bravo.

Cons

Less than market compensation.is the biggest drawback, but less so in IT. Travel benefits make up for that though.

Keep doing what you're doing. Running a *profitable* airline these days is something to brag about!

Alaska Airlines Photos