Alaska Airlines

Updated 28 January, 2015
3.7

Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden
Bradley D. Tilden

Pros
  • The flight benefits was the best part of the job (in 14 reviews)

• Supportive of work/life balance I wasn't there for very long so I can't say much more (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very odd shift work and starting pay is low (in 6 reviews)

• Poor pay and horrible schedules all based on seniority (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I am a retired USAF and have used this company to fly to AK to see my father bringing my 3 boys with me. Wonderful!

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

My Dad,s wife worked for this company and they had a great benefits.

Cons

Would like more room for my legs'

for everyone.Keep customer service training

Review for a, a

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

Pay benefit travel food hotel

Cons

People customer constant going everywhere

None at the time

Great people, great work ethic

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

If you're an airline person, this is the best airline to work for. Great dedication and slackers are let go quickly, which is great for morale. Management's philosophy is welcome: Treat the employees like you want them to treat your customers.

Cons

Managers have a lot of power. Staff can be in trouble if a bad apple has a supervisory role.

Consider listening more to front line staff. They work directly with public.

Airlines used to be fun

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines

Pros

Good travel benefits - good benefit package all around.

Cons

too many managers and Directors that have been there too long. It's a great environment if you have a family - you can use them for any excuse not to come to work or to leave work. Those people that didn't have dependants paid higher premiums for insurance and had to pick up the slack for those that spend most of their time tending to family issues. Not much room for internal promotion unless you know someone on the fast track. the HR department is unprofessional and non-responsive to any issues, regardless if you're inside or outside the company.

walk the walk and talk the talk. They like to put out a good press release and thump inclusiveness, diversity, every employee is important, but they don't really practice what they preach.

Great company Bad spot

Current Employee - Training in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Training in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very dynamic company. Is a trendsetter and is lean and mean. Making solid profits. If you can find a good spot, stay there, this company is up and coming. Rapid expansion.

Cons

Where I work is a black hole in the company. Forget being sick or disabled. Accommodations? Forget it even though the company policy allows for it. Experiencing gender based discrimination despite having an extremely robust career with a breadth of experience not commonly found; and many credentials. Treated like a kindergartener. Was called a "distraction" for wearing a dress and was subjected to a weekly shoe inspection after tripping on a chair. Treated as if stupid despite 30 years' industry experience. Company tenure is everything, experience and credentials, nothing. Promotion based on tenure and politics, not experience or qualifications. Middle management positions require doing at least 2 jobs which means 60-70 hour weeks so if you want a work-life balance, climbing the ladder is out.

You are too lean, need to hire more people instead of working middle management to death. You need to "walk the talk" and LISTEN when complaints for rights violations are filed, instead of having HR lie say they are right. I am not experiencing the "People Focus" or "Inclusion" you advertise.

Co-workers are the best part of the job.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Alaska Airlines

Pros

coworkers, flexible hours, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Alaska is almost like two separate companies. Flight crews, agents, and mechanics vs the office and management staff.

Show more respect to your employees that actually get the planes in the air.

Great Job - Company could use help

Former Employee - Flight Attendant
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great health and travel benefits, Co-workers are fun, Pay gets better the longer you work

Cons

Management not in tune with employees, long hours, may have to fly over night, low pay to start

Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant- great opportunity for the right person

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a fabulous job if you enjoy a flexible schedule, working closely with people and can maintain a positive attitude even when tired and stressed. You will be very well trained and ready to handle the job once you complete all the training requirements. The benefits are wonderful with insurance and lifetime passes. Loved this job for 30 years!

Cons

The things that make this a great job are also the same things that make this a challenging job! Flexible schedule= irregular hours for working, sleeping and eating. Working with the public- we all know what that can be like.
    This is the only job I can think of where, with any luck, you will never use 90% of your training!

Political circus!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All full time employees received the usual; medical, dental, vision, 401k, profit sharing (when profitable). However, the flight benefits were a nice perk- unlimited standby travel free on Alaska, and the ability to purchase cheap standby passes on other carriers.

Cons

The company is notorious for extremely LOW salaries. As a 15 year manager (with a college degree), I was barely making $60k. The company tries to sell you on the idea that your compensation includes very generous flight benefits. That's nice, but it doesn't pay the bills. Money talks!

The management division is also chock full of political back-stabbing, and regardless of your title/ seniority, you never know when your time is up. The company has a reputation for taking senior employees 'out to pasture' even if they're highly effective in their roles. Routinely, these higher salaried/ senior/ experienced employees are replaced with younger, less skilled employees who will agree to work for half of what you made.

Loosen up the purse strings, pay your employees what they're worth, treat them with respect, and perhaps you'll have happier passengers.

Remember: take care of the employees who take care of the passengers, who in turn, will reward you with repeat business = happy shareholders!

Alaska Airlines Photos