Agilent Technologies

Agilent Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Agilent Technologies CEO and Director Bill Sullivan

Bill Sullivan

Pros
  • This company has long been a shining star in "work/life balance" for its employees (in 108 reviews)

• Good work environment when I worked there, by that I mean the physical environment (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life Balance sometimes out of balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company to work for, not great

Electrical Engineering (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsGood work-life balance
    Established, well-known company that looks good in resume
    Nice campus and work environment
    Many interesting projects, though not many technical challenges

ConsNot much Career Growth
    Workforce very mature

Great team environment

Scientist (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsI love the location to the 280, personal growth is encouraged, Starbucks, good facilities and quiet work environment.

ConsAverage food in cafeteria

Advice to Senior ManagementMore vacation

Something is missing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsGreat work/life balance. Employees are treated as adults. Pay and conditions are good. Communication about the state of the company as a whole was good.

ConsComplacent and kind of dull. It didn't have a bad culture, more like no culture at all - maybe because there was a significant shortage of younger employees, and the older employees weren't interested.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more focus on the internal life of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over all a good company with a very political IT department

IT Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsGreat company to work for since everything the company produces helps make the world a better place. You feel you are contributing to the world in a positive way and that provides a sense of satisfaction.

ConsI worked in the IT department
    - Many old timers in IT leadership who promote/reward only those who are politically aligned with them. New talent is not rewarded or appreciated.
    - Expectation is that you work 24*7 (world wide IT with major locations in Santa Clara, Little Falls, Manesar(India), and Singapore.
    - All meetings are virtual...very rarely you get to see faces.
    - No culture in IT, no team building, very frugal, lost of secrets, political, 1% bonuses, $100 Starbucks cards for working 14-18 hours for 8 months on projects...no proportional reward to effort
    - Promotions only to those in the inner circle
    - Interviews for promotions are conducted just to ensure compliance with internal policies and then promotions are given to pre-determined individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease read my review and act accordingly to improve a great company.

Somewhere between "Good" and "Meh"

R&D Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

ProsAgilent has a pretty good work-life balance (as everyone is so fond of repeating whenever they give a chance). Flexible working hours, on-site workout facilities and classes, and plenty of places to go and chat with coworkers outside of your cubicle. Everyone I've met has been amiable, and I've never come across any "slave-driving" managers.

ConsNot the best pay given the cost of living, and profit-sharing is a joke. Management is very focused on shareholder value above employee compensation (or morale, in some cases), leading to some friction between the different levels of the workforce. Also, there are cubicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to play coy and just admit that stock price is the most important part of your job. Stop pretending that employees come first. Also, get rid of stack ranking; all it does is destroy employee morale while providing nothing.

Great Company Overall

Prosgreat place to work, work life balance is truly practiced, freedom are given to interact directly with superior and to work on the project you want to do.

Consunfortunately, bonus is generally less compare to industry ( company are not doing well now)however it's consider a trade off too when you have better life control.

Good company but India finance leadership needs revamp

ICB Expert (Current Employee) Mānesar (India)

ProsWork life balance
    Less work more pay compared to other companies

ConsPathetic hierarchy structure (people managers think they are god)
    India CGM
    Manesar location
    Working in SILOs
    Immediate boss is afraid to recognise and provide exposure to employees
    Pathetic on boarding plan for finance employees

Advice to Senior ManagementAbolish the OM or IM positions, they do the same job
    Separation of company should have been managed better with involvement at all levels from the beginning

Excellent prior to the split from HP

ProsInteresting work is available to challenge engineers.

ConsLower than competative wages for most US employees except very high level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on innovation not on cost cutting. Value employees and pay above average compensation. Rebalance age distribution in US and Europe.

Good if ur directly employed

Marketing (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosthe salary, work load is balanced, the work done is very systematic, average co-workers

Consif ur not on direct payrolls of agilent, u can gv the thought of joing a second chance, as u will face a hell lot if issues with salary.

and the second major drawback is the designation provided is not as per ur experience

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to even those who are not employed under the direct payroll.

Great People, Work/Life Balance, Location

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

Pros1. This is the one company I know that actually *does* live its values. 2. The work-life balance is so ingrained in the culture that it's just "how we do things". 3. I never expected to be here this long; I've been able to change my job every three years or so.

ConsWe've still got employees who oppose new ideas with, "Well, at HP we..." or "Bill & Dave wouldn't have done it that way" ... I'm way past tired of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can better balance the short-term and long-term so that we're not so very beholden to the quarterly Wall Street expectations. We are a long term play; we need investors who understand that.

Worked for Agilent Technologies? Contribute to the Community!