Agilent Technologies

Agilent Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Agilent Technologies CEO and Director Bill Sullivan

Bill Sullivan

Pros
  • This company has long been a shining star in "work/life balance" for its employees(in 108 reviews)

• Good work environment when I worked there, by that I mean the physical environment(in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life Balance sometimes out of balance(in 10 reviews)

• Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees(in 16 reviews)

Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood team. very supportive management.

ConsToo many changes in business.

Well established organization

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

Prosperfectly convenient location --- whether by car, bus, or skytrain.

Conslimited space for a balanced work environment

Great place to start a career.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGet to work with talented and smart colleagues. Collaborative and team-oriented approach to problem solving. As you get more experience (I started as a software developer) you will get the opportunity to work with colleagues from different areas or functions and this really helps to give you a broader appreciation of product development.

ConsAgilent is a big company and, like all big companies, is slow moving compared to what can be accomplished in a start-up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerous pay and good work enviroment

Conslack version on software development

Very good management, respect for employees, open communication, great pay

Account Manager (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsVery well managed company. Managers are given management training and treat people with respect. Very little politics compared to other companies. High quality employees shows up in mutual respect and top customer treatment.

ConsLimited carreer options in sales offices without relocating to manufacturing/R&D/Marketing centers. Remote management in some areas means limitied visibility. Relatively slow and conservative in making decisions. Corporate oversight limits action in fast moving competive businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of putting more of the HP Way back into how you treat and nurture employees. When I began with HP in the 80s it was one of the most respected companies in the world and an honour to work for. Today there are many companies that have surpasssed HP/Agilent in that measure. While much of the philosophy was still there when I left, and long time emplyees still believe in the HP WAY, spreadsheet decision making and cost cutting seems have widened the cracks that allow compassion for employees to fall thru. I would gladly return to work for Agilent if the opportunity arose.

Good to see life in an established company with a mature product - Co-op/Intern perspective

Software Test Engineer (co-Op) (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsIt was great to work on a product that was useful, and used by a wide range of excellent companies. Getting involved with a wide variety of networking protocols is a great experience. Although the product is mature and changes are constrained by previous versions, testing was a little bit less so. In the time I was there (8 months) there were some significant changes made or planned to the testing process, some of which came from the Test Engineers as well as the managers. The coworkers are great, especially the team I worked on.

ConsWorking on a mature product meant that there was little room for creativity. The improvements and changes were constrained by the previous iterations. This applied to the testing as well, although less so.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps create more avenues for bottom-up changes to the product and/or process.

Good mid-sized company

IT Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsStability, and flexible work hours. Good benefits, still contributes to a retirement pension account. Good colleagues to work with.

ConsGlobal company means out of normal workday hours. Outsourcing to offshore model can be challenging. Offshore vendor resources make aggressive schedules difficult to meet on some projects.

Good Place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsNice Work Environment
    Work Life balance

ConsTechnology not upgraded
    Job Insecurity as company is split in August,2014

Aging Company

Account Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsAs a young engineer in sales, there is a lot of opportunity in the older generation retiring. There is a lot of expertise and experience available

ConsThe company has an aging mindset and doesn't seem to be able adjust to getting, cultivating, and keeping young talent. The people that stay are complacent.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with employees about career planning

Agilent Technologies, India. A values-driven organization that enables growth and learning

ProsManagement support and ownership, sr mgmt is approachable, Strong company values, flexible work hours, inclusive culture, good infrastructure and facilities, employee-centric environment

ConsComplex internal processes, hesitation to try new approaches. Internal-looking organization often misses the external market reality. Operationally sound but not aggressive topline growers

Advice to Senior ManagementThink out of the box, adapt best practices from the market

Worked for Agilent Technologies? Contribute to the Community!