Agilent Technologies

Agilent Technologies Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Agilent Technologies CEO and Director Bill Sullivan

Bill Sullivan

Pros:
  • "There are opportunities for reasonable work-life balance, including a flexible time off policy"
    in 93 reviews
  • "Good work environment when I worked there, by that I mean the physical environment"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work / Life Balance sometimes out of balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Agilent Technologies

ProsGood team. very supportive management.

ConsToo many changes in business.

Well established organization

QA Engineer (Former Employee)
Burnaby, BC

I worked at Agilent Technologies as a contractor

Prosperfectly convenient location --- whether by car, bus, or skytrain.

Conslimited space for a balanced work environment

Great place to start a career.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Agilent Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGet to work with talented and smart colleagues. Collaborative and team-oriented approach to problem solving. As you get more experience (I started as a software developer) you will get the opportunity to work with colleagues from different areas or functions and this really helps to give you a broader appreciation of product development.

ConsAgilent is a big company and, like all big companies, is slow moving compared to what can be accomplished in a start-up.

great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Agilent Technologies full-time

ProsGenerous pay and good work enviroment

Conslack version on software development

Very good management, respect for employees, open communication, great pay

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC

I worked at Agilent Technologies

ProsVery well managed company. Managers are given management training and treat people with respect. Very little politics compared to other companies. High quality employees shows up in mutual respect and top customer treatment.

ConsLimited carreer options in sales offices without relocating to manufacturing/R&D/Marketing centers. Remote management in some areas means limitied visibility. Relatively slow and conservative in making decisions. Corporate oversight limits action in fast moving competive businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of putting more of the HP Way back into how you treat and nurture employees. When I began with HP in the 80s it was one of the most respected companies in the world and an honour to work for. Today there are many companies that have surpasssed HP/Agilent in that measure. While much of the philosophy was still there when I left, and long time emplyees still believe in the HP WAY, spreadsheet decision making and cost cutting seems have widened the cracks that allow compassion for employees to fall thru. I would gladly return to work for Agilent if the opportunity arose.

Good to see life in an established company with a mature product - Co-op/Intern perspective

Software Test Engineer (co-Op) (Former Employee)
Burnaby, BC

I worked at Agilent Technologies

ProsIt was great to work on a product that was useful, and used by a wide range of excellent companies. Getting involved with a wide variety of networking protocols is a great experience. Although the product is mature and changes are constrained by previous versions, testing was a little bit less so. In the time I was there (8 months) there were some significant changes made or planned to the testing process, some of which came from the Test Engineers as well as the managers. The coworkers are great, especially the team I worked on.

ConsWorking on a mature product meant that there was little room for creativity. The improvements and changes were constrained by the previous iterations. This applied to the testing as well, although less so.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps create more avenues for bottom-up changes to the product and/or process.

Overall would recommend

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great people to work with
- Overall good values and integrity, at least in the Field Services department
- Flexible working hours, though lots of overtime

Cons- No clear path for career advancement/promotion
- Not many valuable leadership opportunities
- Not too much contact with colleagues in the field (can be considered a pro to some)

Advice to Senior Management- Try to promote/value/challenge staff more. Agilent seems to do a great job hiring. I have no complaints about any one I have had to deal with in the organization, but Agilent needs to improve on retaining people because of lack of structure in valuing and challenging their workforce.

Agilent Technologies- a good place to work, but struggles a bit to adjust with the volatile market.

R&D Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Wilmington, DE (US)

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOverall a good company with a nice working atmosphere and facilities, knowledgable experienced employees for most part. Flex hours allow for a nice work/life balance, pension and 401K, profit sharing, and reduced medical benefits.

ConsPay not the greatest, but comparable. Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees. Gross mismanagement at the upper level with failed acquisitions/outsourcing and corporate greed. Too much emphasis on bean counting and not enough on quality, customer satisfaction, or employee retention. Top share of Life Science marketplace is in jeopardy due to these poor policies and decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that the 'split' is over, turn the focus from cost reductions back to quality, and customer/employee satisfaction. Do more research or investigate fully before any future acquisitions. Profit sharing has been in the toilet since the latest mergers, and wages have been stagnant for some time, but CEO's and boardmembers continue to enjoy ridiculous salaries and bonuses.

Great Company

I have been working at Agilent Technologies

ProsGreat culture and employees. I enjoy coming here everyday.

Conslow pay and benefits are ok. Employees are older so harder to move up.

Great culture and poeple

I have been working at Agilent Technologies

ProsDedicated and friendly poeple/envirornment
Work-life balance

Conslimited pay increases
quite freq layoffs

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on growing company organically

Worked for Agilent Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Agilent Technologies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Agilent Technologies CEO Bill Sullivan. All 473 reviews are posted anonymously by Agilent Technologies employees.