Agfa Healthcare Reviews

Updated 23 April, 2015
76 reviews filtered by
2.7
CEO

Pros
  • Good benefits, stable once you get the sense of how things work (in 5 reviews)

• Good people to work and share experiences (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really jumps the gun in allowing unfinished products into the market (in 7 reviews)

• No cost of living or merit raises for the 4 years I was there (in 4 reviews)

1. Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Agfa Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love the office culture and cool teams.. a very caring environment! We work on products that save lives and enhance patient lives. Good benefits, flex time, free gourmet coffee, free gym (in-house), highest percentage in industry for pension @ 8%!!, good vacation/best sick benefits.

Cons

Always uncertainties with raises/bonuses, projects, layoffs. No raise or cost of living in 8 years!

Advice to Management

It would boost moral if Belgium mgmt showed their appreciation by tangible $$ rather then whining about sales and the price of silver. We work hard and put in long hours only to hear that's what we should do - without ever any increase in compensation.

2. Not gonna say

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Agfa Healthcare

Pros

Not many. Pay is OK,.

Cons

No merit increases since 2008. Benefit's are being clawed back. Local managers are good, Head management in Europe is completely out of touch with the employee's. Every year, people ask "What about merit increases". Every year, we hear the same thing, "No". Wait until next year, we will see. Guess what, next year is never good.
    The company is putting all of their eggs in one basket in the form of a buggy, poor performing piece of software.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's. We have supported the company by effectively taking a pay cut every year (no merit increase, but inflation keeps going). Support your employee's for once instead of always doing everything for the shareholders. I would not invest in Agfa because of the way they treat employee's.

A rewarding job

Former Employee - R&D in Waterloo, ON
    Former Employee - R&D in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Agfa Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AGFA Healthcare recognizes contributions made by the individual employees, and reward accordingly.
    There are opportunities to innovate and grow as a person or as a team. Schedules and dates are realistic and the tools are available to get the job done.

Cons

The leadership team varies in management style from team-to-team. The company is very process heavy, so you have to enjoy working in a more regulated environment.

Advice to Management

Change is good at all levels, but many changes in a short time at top level management can be very disruptive.

Drowning in yes men.

Former Employee - Developer Impax Client in Waterloo, ON
    Former Employee - Developer Impax Client in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Agfa Healthcare

Pros

None. Please read my cons stated below.

Cons

The culture has culture has gone to crap. People just waiting for a severance package (Here in Waterloo On.) Team leads are un-skilled cut-outs shining on their managers a constantly screwing over their developers. No innovation. You really get the feeling the overlords in Belgium are itching to close the Waterloo site and it just kills moral. It has been said before....The lucky one got out with the golden severance packages. I ended up just quiting...

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at all your dev team leads. There are some grave issues there.

Good experience

Former Intern - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Agfa Healthcare as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only worked here as a co-op student, so my opinion should have little value to the general audience. Laid-back workplace and most employees are friendly and helpful. Albeit being a co-op student, I still feel that I am valued on the team.

Cons

It seems that the development teams are never up-to-speed with what the upper management wants (though I guess that would be true for most companies). The starting weeks are extremely slow and can be boring.

Good People at lower level, bad direction/management

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Agfa Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people I work with at the lower level are great and are very talented. I really enjoy interacting with them. There are a few odd ones, or corporate climbers, but not that many.

Cons

Mid and upper management politics and a half. Decisions are made based on someone's ego and not based on where the company should head.
    Good people keep leaving.
    Struggles financially, cuts corners resulting in making things worse.
    Good luck getting a pay raise or one that is more than inflation.

Advice to Management

I'd say "good luck" but that won't do the trick. You now need a miracle, and you need to fire yourself and bring in selfless (not selfish) leaders.

I think that the guy at the top knows what he is doing, but too many people below him are sub-par and/or an opportunist.

Good stability in a mature segment

I have been working at Agfa Healthcare

Pros

Great benefits, older experienced employees, mature and stable environment

Cons

No room to grow, downsizing is present.

Advice to Management

Try to get better at communicating future plans.

9. Such a sad story....

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Agfa Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This place was a hidden gem in the tech employer landscape of Waterloo. Great people, Great Compensation, great benefits...5 years ago.

Cons

Rounds and rounds of layoffs. Provincial government cash injection is gone. No raise (or even cost of living adjustment) in 5 years. The lucky ones get great severance packages. Company turns on a dime with a new figurehead every couple of years and the slide continues.

Advice to Management

Try to get some ROI before reinventing product lines before the have had a chance to make some profit.

10. good experience

I have been working at Agfa Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly environment, great people to work with.

Cons

knowledge transfer need to be improved.

11. Great company, great products, great people.

Former Employee - Software Architect in Waterloo, ON
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Agfa Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its products help people. Its developers care about the products and the end customer (the patient on the table)

Cons

Management has been up and down over the past couple of years. Power is held at head office so all decision making is there.

Advice to Management

Trust the local management teams... they know what they are doing. They are the ones who make this company what it is today.

Agfa Healthcare Photos