Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros:
  • "Did I mention, unlimited income potential"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Work Life Balance, and Freedom to run your own business"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "No base salary for interns and it would be very difficult to start in this company because no one would help you"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Being an independent contractor means no benefits and paying your own business expenses"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok if you your spouse has a good job

Aflac Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to meet with several companies and employees and help insure their needs. You get to make your own schedule, but if you want to be successful, you need to be dedicated. You often work with a great team, so that makes working enjoyable.

ConsAs many others have stated, it is commission only. If you have a spouse who has a good job, this may not be too much of a concern. However, if it is your only income, you may have a super great month and then have a terrible month. Unfortunately, bills do not work this way; they come every month.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if there was a base pay, but being that the position of Agent is a 1099 position, I understand that this will never happen.

Great for sales

I worked at Aflac

ProsGreat company to work for and great benefits

ConsSale commission only, no base salary.

Last Career

I worked at Aflac

ProsCan make money if work hard

ConsCan be unstable since really you are in a sales job. Most of the income depends on commission rather than salary

Good training for sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than a year

ProsLearned to put myself out there and get a thick skin.

ConsNot enough training, no base pay

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture talent better.

Self employed

Self Employed Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor for more than 8 years

ProsSchedule your work around day time hours mostly come into contact with some great companies. Good product and support from HQ.

ConsCommission work with at least 100 representatives selling the same thing per year to the same companies with no territory including brokers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart a PPO dental insurance, provide a base salary to agents to create some stability in sales force. At least match FICA. Provide more tools like a laptop without having to purchase them.

The Aflac Army

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aflac full-time

ProsThe company has great brand name recognition.

ConsSales force TOO large. Their model works to it own fault. The sales force has a tendency to eat their own. There is a perception of churn and burn. Your only a number to the corporate office. A new sales contest every time you turn around. Gone are the days of double digit growth. Management, and those suits in the corporate office make their money at the expense of the every day associates.

The answer to a slow month or quarter is to have another contest. There is no loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit having so many contest. Stop putting all the emphasis on recruiting, it's your Achilles heal. Stop treating the independent contractor like they are a W-2 employee.

MUST have entrepreneurial spirit and self motivated. NOT 9-5 job

Benefits Consultant/Agent (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than a year

Pros- 100% commission based... This can be great or horrible. If you work hard, have a good support system and are persistent you will do well. But even doing "well" takes time. I have hit all the benchmarks for "Star Series" and still find myself struggling financially some months.
- Room to grow. If you put in the effort and show that you are in it for the long haul you can move up into management... Which means more stable income but you are responsible for others.
- Great management. At least in my region we have a great DSC and RSC which really helps.
Hearing the horror stories of management who didn't help or train new people makes me sad.. this job REQUIRES management support
- Flexible schedule.. you are technically your own "boss" so you choose when you work. This is great because you never have to work over holidays or miss out on a vacation due to work. You never have to ask to take a day off BUT if you don't work... you dont get paid

Cons- 100% commission AND you have to pay for all your own licensing and finger prints, etc to be hired.
- No benefits and have to PAY taxes at end of year... when you feel like you can barely afford rent or food
- Cold calling and prospecting sucks and it's pretty much what you do the whole first 1-2 years (but after you can just make your money off existing accounts)
- The emotional roller coaster of this job is stressful, exhausting, scary and makes you feel crazy at times. The constant No's you hear from people can wear you out and make your attitude fade BUT then you open an account and realize it's not all for nothing.
- HR free zone so management can't fire anyone... and working with morons and dealing with some people can be super frustrating.
- In interview they made it seem like you may not get the job... when in reality they will hire anyone who walks through the door... It's like they throw mud on the wall and see what sticks
- Saturation of market.. sometimes prospecting people will yell at you because you're the 12th Aflac person that week to solicit them
- You can feel like your a free volunteer working 60 hour work weeks
- discouraging when you find out only 4% of people who join Aflac are there a year later

Advice to Senior ManagementWA- West region is awesome!! But please don't promote people who are not ready and/or are terrible Aflac agents

aflac is awesome

Customer Service Specialist II (Current Employee)
Mayaguez, PR (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 8 years

Proscompany give tools to sucess

Consone challenge consists try to survive

Advice to Senior Managementno

Contract work no salary

I worked at Aflac

Prosplenty of flexibility, training and rewards

Consmanagement is not always available when you need help,

Great environment for hard workers who aspire for greatness!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Rockville, MD (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to make a lot of money and build a career.

ConsNot unexpected but it requires a serious approach and a lot of effort is necessary

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aflac reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Aflac CEO Dan Amos. All 548 reviews are posted anonymously by Aflac employees.