Aetna

Aetna Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 102 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions (in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Management is wonderful/Great work-life balance!

RN Case Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsCompany values! Work-life Balance! No micromanaging.

ConsCan be monotonous. Cubicles. Virtual training.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for allowing us to put the member first and focus on The Aetna Way!

Great company to work for

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsVery innovative...flexibility to work at home or in the office...rewards employees for their work

Conspolitics, need to provide more transparency

Very nice work environment

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsMost of the employees i have worked with are very positive minded and dedicated. Nice work environment.

ConsSome people discriminates between vendor and corporate employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing as such

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

consultant

Informatics Consultant (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA (US)

Prosgood support from top management

Conspay increases are hindered by out-of-date HR policies

Advice to Senior Managementpay market value

Mother Aetna

Vice President Strategic Markets (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat discipline and company couture. Professional training second to none. Wonderful heritage with Home office facilities to share.

ConsNot compensating very well for specific resource competencies. Not a very good listener to cross couture especially current staff.

Advice to Senior Managementwake up - new time new markets (alternative) - different skills sets needed.

Toxic Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsTele-working heavily supported, pockets of very good and smart employees,

Conseverything is a fire drill, executive management is akin to Game of Thrones, huge institutional inertia,
    antiquated IT platform, duplication of effort, precepts do not match words with actions, under investment in
    core infrastructure

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a president or COO who is empowered to systematically overhaul infrastructure and service operations across the enterprise

Great Company poor mid and front line management

Disability Claims Manager (Former Employee) Plantation, FL (US)

ProsGreat benefits , and Job can be rewarding and opportunities for advancement are vast.

ConsMiddle management and Frontline management bar is set to high for employees to achieve any kind of satisfaction or reward for the work. The moto of Doing more with Less should not compromise the employees state of being and health. No work life balance. And most of Middle and frontline management fail to follow company core values. Most have no interpersonal skills and do not value the employees at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle and front line managers need more softskills training in turn they would be more engaged with there employees and expectations would actually reward the employees not punish them .

A place to hang your hat for awhile.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsQuite a diverse culture and Sr. management pushes for fairness and communication; opportunities are there in a professional setting, it all depends on your manager. Work at home options are available.

Constremendous politics with Sr management, direction may get lost because of that. There is concern that team and support is just rhetoric as there is a lot of position shifting and outsourcing that is continually occurring.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe straight forward with your employees vs. dancing around the subject; this will reduce the dreaded gossip channel and they will respect you more for it.

Working for Aetna

ProsHours are flexible which is always great and convenient. After a while you earn the opportunity to work at home which has made work-life balance much easier. The starting pay I believe is higher than most medical insurance companies.

ConsThere is no room for advancement, especially depending on the department you are working for. One department in Underwriting will promote their Underwriters every year until you hit the title of Underwriter, then it gets a little bit harder to get to the next titles after. Whereas other departments some take, I've seen from 5-7 years just to get to the next title. Also the benefits are not ideal. I thought working for an insurance company I would have stellar benefits. I made a completely wrong assumption.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think advancement and the way promotions are given should be definitely looked into. Also the benefits. Benefits are the biggest complaint all the employees usually have. It's always brought up in meetings but nobody does anything to change it.

Glad to be gone

Case Manager (RN) (Former Employee) Blue Bell, PA (US)

Proswork at home, nice coworkers, not a difficult job

Consmisrepresentations when you are hired, empty promises made, no loyalty to their staff, some middle management are very good but others are incompetent and manage to get by
    cheap company

Advice to Senior Managementreward those who work

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!