Aetna Reviews

Updated 21 October, 2014
3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 116 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Aetna used to be focused on employee satisfaction and work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Each year's health insurance costs more with lesser benefits and higher deductibles (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

OK experience....typical Corporate America

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Telecommute opportunity, flexible start times, good employees to work with, good salary, employee incentives, clean working environment

Cons

High deductible plans, hard to get another position internally, no clear cut direction, sometimes very little work available, layoffs every year, people act too busy to help you so be prepared to learn things on your own time

Often times there is no direction from management. Spend a little more money hiring actual FTEs than outsourcing work to vendors..

Application developer

Current Employee - Applications Developer II in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer II in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (less than an year)

Pros

performance evaluation process is not very strict, if your manager is happy you will be happy.

Cons

i work in the medicaid projects, they seriously need to follow a well defined project process.

Please have a robust project process.

Good place to gain management experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career development opportunities available if you prove to be a valuable employee and if you have a good network of contacts

Cons

Your career development is up to you as there is little to unexisting time to execute your development plan

Allocate time for first line employees to accomplish their development plans

Nothing to show for a job well done

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One thing Aetna does right is work life balance and flexible work accommodations. About 40-50% of Aetna's work force are telecommuters. And the health care benefits are pretty good and reasonably priced compared to other employers.

Cons

If you want to advance your career or move within the company, Aetna is not the place for you. Once you are slotted in a particular job or function, it's very difficult to move around, unless you have connections and have senior managers who are willing to go to bat for you. Aetna is notorious for being a very closed-door community. Additionally, Aetna is known for frequent layoffs, reorgs and a revolving door of management. Their overall strategy is constantly in flux. There is no discipline to product development or management. It seemed like a constant state of uncertainty. Morale has been low for a long time. There is a lot of posturing and land grabbing to make sure you're not on the outside looking in.

After being at Aetna for over a decade, I didn't have much to show for it. Even after consistently stellar reviews and awards, my position was eliminated and I was out the door once the new leadership came on board.

Develop your talent from within. Find a strategy and stick to it.

Actuarial Area

Current Employee - Actuary I in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Actuary I in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generally a low stress environment.
    Good people to work with
    Generally good work/life balance

Cons

Room for advancement can be challenging.
    Salaries are borderline uncompetitive with the market

Review compensation and opportunities for advancement

Poor leadership/Limited career growth

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home opportunities
    Nice people

Cons

In my opinion, If you work from home, you open yourself up to the possibility of being downsized. Being in a virtual environment makes it challenging to have exposure to leadership/decision makers, due to the company rarely having face to face team meetings. Additionally, people frequently get downsized, leadership is poor and job opportunities are limited. Several people were stuck in the same role for multiple years, due to new opportunities being non-existent.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Provider Service Specialist in Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Provider Service Specialist in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Aetna has a great at work education system. the benefits are good considering the high deductible plan which could be more affordable but they have all types of incentives to stay healthy. If you have a company that cares about your health and well being in my opinion its a keeper. In addition to the online education they have numerous opportunities to grow which helps you to believe you will have a future in the company.

Cons

with all the great things aetna has to offer you still have to deal with corporate policies and procedures which at times can be tedious and un rewarding. when applying for jobs it helps to have someone in your corner but I seen to often its not what you know its who you know that will get you ahead.

Compensation is generous but look more closely to the mid level management that might hold back decent employees that can support the company and continue to make this a great place to work.

It was a growing experience. I was mentored by my manager.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Bell, PA (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO, relaxed environment is good stuff!! Fair managers.

Cons

No different from anywhere. People everywhere are different attitudes. Just deal with it! :-)

It has a fresh coast of paint, but the rust underneath is still present.

Current Employee - Plan Sponsor Agent in Plantation, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Plan Sponsor Agent in Plantation, FL (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cafeteria on site, but 30 minute lunch makes consuming it at your desk a necessity. Salary is decent and a wide variety of benefits you can opt for with a premium.

Cons

Organization is losing huge accounts left & right. The Employers won't say it's because you don't really take care of the customer. Hitting minimum service requirements doesn't make you "wonderful" Organization requires you get tested annually to determine risk factors for health and if you don't hit required goals you pay more for your benefits. After the first Employer group dropped Aetna I was assigned to a team and supervisor in the southwest. I think I actually spoke with her a total of 8 times in a year of those 5 were requested by me. The company said we would have monthly reviews (I had 2 of those and 1 year end review). Training & resources for the employees were also "sort of there" but not really. When you have 3 internal site 2 of which were abandoned but never decommissioned you may never find the answer if you don't ask someone and then the answer may be different depending on who you ask. Training is all read this and that and answer questions so that Aetna has an alibi because "they took the online course". Resources are unorganized at best (not even alphabetical order exists. The Aetna Way is a PR document that isn't practiced, it's just hauled out for show. The perfect example was a training about using plain language. Note that the training has jargon and acronyms that didn't exist in the materials. Two days later it was on the internal sites "plain language" blah blah blah. Followed by loads of jargon/acronyms in the following post. Onsite security is ok, but not really great considering a number of vehicles have been broken into wheels taken, etc in the area they are supposed to be paroling.

Since Mark Bertolini became CEO a lot of progress has been made to fix Aetna. However, running up to the merger with Coventry Health Care it became obvious the changes were only implemented topically. (Like putting a fresh coat of paint on a rusted car) it's just a PR campaign because the underlying problems are still present. The policy of Money & Stockholders first. Members, Providers, and Employees last is still very much the norm.

the belly of the beast is right there for those that choose to see it

Former Employee - Dishcarge Planning in Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Dishcarge Planning in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

when i went to aetna it fit all the criteria i needed to make my career and family life better- worked for a caring supervisor who stuck up for her staff and would get you what ever support you needed- thought i was finally at the last job i would ever have- company culture seemed in line with my core values. work at home was a perfect fit-or so i thought

Cons

where do i start? twice yearly right before thanksgiving and again right after the xmas holidays-there would be layoffs and working in that environment was torture to experience and watch- the company culture flowed one way after a while and you either got on board or were told if you don't like it here-you know where the door is..everyone is drinking the juice and if complaints were pennies? we would all be walking around rich- cut to the bone, do more with less, treat employees as pretty much the furniture and remind people that they are lucky to have a job!

mark betolini- come down from the penthouse, open your eyes and see the lives you have changed forever and not in a good way- every dog has his day , something to remember...you can't treat people like that and chalk it up to "it is a business decision- nothing personal" cause it's all personal to those loyal folks who put up with you

Aetna Photos