Aetna Reviews

Updated 23 October, 2014
3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 116 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Aetna used to be focused on employee satisfaction and work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Each year's health insurance costs more with lesser benefits and higher deductibles (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Clinical Mgmt.. "Good Ole Girls Club", sad, sad

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

The employees are extremely hard workers, and give it their ALL, every time they enter those doors.

Cons

As far as the clinical mgmt. staff goes, it is unbelievable to see how favoritism is displayed on a regular basis in ALL area of daily running of business. How " various reports "are given to employees that should OBVIOUSLY be done by management. LACK OF TRUST for some of the management is a " given", due to the conflicting changes made and are told are "directly from "AETNA", in which there are always "conflicting" reports. Being able to "freely " go about inquiring ANYTHING and I do mean ANYTHING, is swiftly halted due to the " I KNOW PEOPLE IN THE COMPANY" fear tactic by some management in my opinion is COERCION in every sense of the word. It ,was , because a few years ago a huge number of people left because of management. I would think after a while the "AETNA" brass would be taking a strong look at this situation. " WELLNESS " should also be for the employees and NOT just for the members we serve with our blood, sweat and tears.

Mr. Mark Bertolini , please keep you employees in mind.

OK experience....typical Corporate America

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Telecommute opportunity, flexible start times, good employees to work with, good salary, employee incentives, clean working environment

Cons

High deductible plans, hard to get another position internally, no clear cut direction, sometimes very little work available, layoffs every year, people act too busy to help you so be prepared to learn things on your own time

Often times there is no direction from management. Spend a little more money hiring actual FTEs than outsourcing work to vendors..

Good place to gain management experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career development opportunities available if you prove to be a valuable employee and if you have a good network of contacts

Cons

Your career development is up to you as there is little to unexisting time to execute your development plan

Allocate time for first line employees to accomplish their development plans

Application developer

Current Employee - Applications Developer II in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer II in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (less than an year)

Pros

performance evaluation process is not very strict, if your manager is happy you will be happy.

Cons

i work in the medicaid projects, they seriously need to follow a well defined project process.

Please have a robust project process.

Good experience

Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant in Bismarck, ND (US)
    Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant in Bismarck, ND (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good computer resources to make day to day work easier
    Supportive team and leaders
    Flexible work at home position .
    Good benefits including work balance benefits
    Company is filled with well qualified , caring people

Cons

Lost position after unit downsized.

Value employees that stick in though all of the changes

Nothing to show for a job well done

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One thing Aetna does right is work life balance and flexible work accommodations. About 40-50% of Aetna's work force are telecommuters. And the health care benefits are pretty good and reasonably priced compared to other employers.

Cons

If you want to advance your career or move within the company, Aetna is not the place for you. Once you are slotted in a particular job or function, it's very difficult to move around, unless you have connections and have senior managers who are willing to go to bat for you. Aetna is notorious for being a very closed-door community. Additionally, Aetna is known for frequent layoffs, reorgs and a revolving door of management. Their overall strategy is constantly in flux. There is no discipline to product development or management. It seemed like a constant state of uncertainty. Morale has been low for a long time. There is a lot of posturing and land grabbing to make sure you're not on the outside looking in.

After being at Aetna for over a decade, I didn't have much to show for it. Even after consistently stellar reviews and awards, my position was eliminated and I was out the door once the new leadership came on board.

Develop your talent from within. Find a strategy and stick to it.

Actuarial Area

Current Employee - Actuary I in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Actuary I in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generally a low stress environment.
    Good people to work with
    Generally good work/life balance

Cons

Room for advancement can be challenging.
    Salaries are borderline uncompetitive with the market

Review compensation and opportunities for advancement

Poor leadership/Limited career growth

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home opportunities
    Nice people

Cons

In my opinion, If you work from home, you open yourself up to the possibility of being downsized. Being in a virtual environment makes it challenging to have exposure to leadership/decision makers, due to the company rarely having face to face team meetings. Additionally, people frequently get downsized, leadership is poor and job opportunities are limited. Several people were stuck in the same role for multiple years, due to new opportunities being non-existent.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Provider Service Specialist in Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Provider Service Specialist in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Aetna has a great at work education system. the benefits are good considering the high deductible plan which could be more affordable but they have all types of incentives to stay healthy. If you have a company that cares about your health and well being in my opinion its a keeper. In addition to the online education they have numerous opportunities to grow which helps you to believe you will have a future in the company.

Cons

with all the great things aetna has to offer you still have to deal with corporate policies and procedures which at times can be tedious and un rewarding. when applying for jobs it helps to have someone in your corner but I seen to often its not what you know its who you know that will get you ahead.

Compensation is generous but look more closely to the mid level management that might hold back decent employees that can support the company and continue to make this a great place to work.

It was a growing experience. I was mentored by my manager.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Bell, PA (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO, relaxed environment is good stuff!! Fair managers.

Cons

No different from anywhere. People everywhere are different attitudes. Just deal with it! :-)

Aetna Photos