Aetna

Updated 14 December, 2014
3.2

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 118 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Aetna used to be focused on employee satisfaction and work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Each year's health insurance costs more with lesser benefits and higher deductibles (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

All business. Not a caring environment just meet productivity standards or you will be terminated

Former Employee - RN Case Managet in Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Former Employee - RN Case Managet in Blue Bell, PA (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cafeteria. Good orientation except if you are having trouble. Do not work orientation around your needs
    Employees are very friendly and are helpful

Cons

Orientation. Very complicated computer program. Terminate you after 30Days after telling you you have 90 days! My holidays are ruined now without a job

Instead of changing preceptors ( I had 3). Stick with one. Too hard to learn when they all tell you different ways to do a task. Don't just listen to you preceptors supervisor should see with her own eyes spend time with employee to get a better understanding ,

I like working here but...

Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Pay is good, I love the type of work I do. Coworkers are good

Cons

Management or lack of like to micromanage. Alot of employee management friendships. It's not what you know, its who you know! Plus, they are doing away with our whole department. Sending the work to the states we provide service to. I wish they would offer the few great employees with good work ethic and production to work fom home or something.

looking

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

not to many to tell about

Cons

not too many to talk about

grow up

Opportunities for those with ambition and the right entry job

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Many opportunities if you are willing to give 110 percent.

Cons

Must be adept at political game

Very laid back company with a lot of room for advancement. Great pay paired with a stress free environment!

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Casual dress code depending on your department, employee appreciate every week, enough challenges to keep you interested and not bored, some of the nicest people you'll ever work with, holidays off, unlimited overtime when available.

Cons

Management either works from home or is in a meeting, so if you have questions you usually have to ask your peers

Great career job

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Aetna is very good at work/life balance, the work is challenging and allows continuous learning, the benefits and holidays are competitive . They provide 401K and ESPP to help plan for the future. Their wellness package provides a very comprehensive stress management benefit that is beyond industry standards. Very big on activity related competitions with logging of exercise, meals, stress management time. Good opportunities for advancement. Also, many positions are work from home.

Cons

The health and dental insurances are very expensive with mediocre benefits 80/20 with min 1000 deductible. As a healthcare company, it would be nice to provide premium benefits to their employees. They do have a tenancy to have layoffs every other year in one division or another. With 48,000 employees this is expected but not fun to wonder which department will be hit.

Constant change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The CEO is visionary and determined to lead the reformation of the health care delivery system, something the country badly needs. The company is also trying hard to change the way it does business in order to keep up with all those changes.

Cons

Restructuring and reorganizing felt constant when I was there. The strategic direction is a change, but a few levels down from the top it is a lot harder to implement.

HR is not well-connected with employees once they come on. Griping among middle-level managers feels very commonplace. Trusted employees need to be given power to do trail-blazing things w/out having to wait for approvals.

Really great first professional experience.

Former Employee - Intern in Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Aetna as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was taught many technical skills that I never learned in school.
    I was given a lot of responsibility and the work I did was actually meaningful.
    It was challenging and made me more resourceful in completing my work.
    Cheap gym membership!
    Assign you an advisor that helps with employment advice and interview tips.
    Upper lever management helped me perfect my resume.

Cons

It isn't as easy securing a job here after the internship as it thought it would be.

Keep doing what you are doing

Wonderful company for women

Current Employee - Clinical Team Lead in Roanoke, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Lead in Roanoke, VA (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Women are promoted. Truly care about helping people live healthier lives

Cons

Complex layers that sometimes slow down projects

Look to the point of service as most important driver of success

Senior Program Manager

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With right leaders, you will be recognized, promoted and developed. I worked there for 4+ years and was promoted twice.

Cons

Wrong leaders, you will be supressed and stuck. Also once you get to a certain level in the organization it is important to be at central office in Hartford. From experience, I wasnt and was a high performer but was still job eliminated. Why? Because I didnt have the connection as those others did working with senior leadership day to day. It can be a grind at times working at Aetna.

Own your corporate values throughout. It isnt something you can pick and choose or use when it is convenient. Promotional opportunities are great but when there is more than one position open and you hire one internal and one external and the pay is significantly different because the rule is no more than 10% increase for internal candidates leaves a bad taste in employee's mouth. Makes it seem that you are under valuing current employees.

Aetna Photos