Aetna

Updated 20 August, 2014

3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 102 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions (in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Provider Service Specialist  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Provider Service Specialist in Tampa, FL (US)

Pros

Aetna has a great at work education system. the benefits are good considering the high deductible plan which could be more affordable but they have all types of incentives to stay healthy. If you have a company that cares about your health and well being in my opinion its a keeper. In addition to the online education they have numerous opportunities to grow which helps you to believe you will have a future in the company.

Cons

with all the great things aetna has to offer you still have to deal with corporate policies and procedures which at times can be tedious and un rewarding. when applying for jobs it helps to have someone in your corner but I seen to often its not what you know its who you know that will get you ahead.

Compensation is generous but look more closely to the mid level management that might hold back decent employees that can support the company and continue to make this a great place to work.

It was a growing experience. I was mentored by my manager.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Bell, PA (US)

Pros

PTO, relaxed environment is good stuff!! Fair managers.

Cons

No different from anywhere. People everywhere are different attitudes. Just deal with it! :-)

Caring, Compassionate, and Understanding.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Great people to work with, love helping members in need.

Cons

I was with the company for almost 3 years but was not able to relocate to my home town when my dad had a terminal illness (cancer).

allow relocation even if there is no near actual building near by to report in the event of system going down and just deduct time for time loss if this would happen as non pay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

4 of 5 years I was there were really good.

Former Employee - Inbound Queue Associate  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inbound Queue Associate in Arlington, TX (US)

Pros

The benefits were great and my colleagues and management were good. The company truly cares about its employees and subscribers wellness.

Cons

They micromanaged to the point you were treated as an adolescent. After we all became teleworkers the team moral diminished.

Please treat your employees as professional adults and no micromanagement, please.

Satisfactory place to work!

Pros

Reputable company with a strong presence; Great training for new employees, and continuous learning opportunities for seasoned employees; strong leadership; plenty of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Benefits package is not the greatest; compensation doesn't necessarily coincide with the job expectations; Human Resource Department not easily accessible, as most of them work from home.

good and bad

Pros

friendly people, stable place to work, generous benefit package, if you can get stock its performed very well over last few years, strong leadership team at top levels but middle managers / senior teams are pretty much a joke.

Cons

has somewhat large bureaucracy to deal with, middle level / senior managers don't know what their doing and usually are not that skilled, culture depending on location can be depressing and feel like its stagnating, moving up is a difficult proposition given the hierarchy and the fact that some people stay there for life.

promote within, offer better stock packages for younger skilled workers, don't be afraid to listen to new ideas.

Company undergoing significant transformation.

Current Employee - Financial Manager
    Current Employee - Financial Manager

Pros

Good work/life balance. Opportunities for entry level employees and interns to advance a few levels relatively quickly. Good PTO and decent benefits. Diversifying business lines means opportunities to move around to more non-traditional insurance related businesses.

Cons

Company has hit a rough patch as the integration of Coventry systems and personnel progresses. Underlying medical costs driving core insurance business caused pressure on stock price.

Be clearer with your vision for the company. Constant change and repeated layoffs do a number on morale, but more visible strong leadership can improve that.

Technical Specialist

Pros

Great place to work at aetna

Cons

None I an think of

Pleasant but challenging

Former Employee - Care Management Associate  in  Sandy, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Care Management Associate in Sandy, UT (US)

Pros

It's a great company to work for.The compensation is above average. You can have a career there if you follow their guidence.

Cons

Lack of communication between management and employee. Understaffed.

The company is okay!

Pros

The people in my department are great

Cons

The department is very challenging, the pay rate should definitely be more for everything that you are doing.

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!