Aetna Reviews

Updated 19 September, 2014
3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 102 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions (in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent employer with integrity

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very strong corporate values
    Intent to make healthcare better and easier
    Teleworking opportunities

Cons

Recent repeated change in operational senior leadership in the past two years
    Work life balance

Great place for opportunities if interested in work outside job role.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very flexible work environment. Leadership can be very supportive of employees. Really liked the casual telework option which allowed me to work from home and the office as needed.

Cons

Politics...can be advantageous if you like to dabble in it. Can be a huge disadvantage if you steer entirely away from it. Not unusual in a large organization.

Please consider improving on feedback for internal employee job changes. As employees go through the internal application process, it would be very considerate if the HR recruiter could actually provide feedback when asked for it. 9 times out of 10-no response is ever provided. How can an employee expect to improve their internal search without feedback?

the company is ok, not the best.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

Pros

ther are verygood benefits and incentives

Cons

the manement is set up with micromanagement

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steady advancement is possible if you search out opportunities and make your goals and qualifications known.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most employees are proud to work at Aetna. The CEO's drive to impact health care and wellness, as well as making Aetna a Fortune Fifty company, inspire the staff to contribute toward those goals.

Cons

Currently Aetna is integrating the Coventry tools and staff. In such a large undertaking, the individual employee cannot be considered and talented people have not be able to obtain an optimum position for their skills and background. Some of my peers are having to find other employment.

The practice of limiting pay increases to a flat percentage often keeps an internal candidate from reaching the minimum salary for a new position; this is short sited. After marking time in the new job they may consider making a lateral move to a competitor to obtain market rate compensation. Employees who have to contribute to family financial stability often cannot sacrifice pay for the hope of greater opportunities. Young talent and drive is being forced find more appropriate salary structures.

Enjoyed my time as an intern

Former Employee - Security and Policy Education  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Security and Policy Education in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Aetna as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, even as an intern I was given the option to set up my work schedule, I was given a company laptop which sometimes allowed me to work from home as an intern. Attended high level meeting with executive and enjoyed the work environment. I had coworker all over the country who we corroborated via phone and Webex meeting.

Cons

the cubicle can get really boring that you might fall asleep easily.

I had a great manger wish the keep up with the good work

One of the best places to ever work!!!

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is an awesome company the people are great. The pay is OK not the best. There are no micro managers

Cons

Some on the company politics they all have them.

Give some of the entry level taken a chance and the company would do ten time better!

Good experience

Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant  in  Bismarck, ND (US)
    Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant in Bismarck, ND (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good computer resources to make day to day work easier
    Supportive team and leaders
    Flexible work at home position .
    Good benefits including work balance benefits
    Company is filled with well qualified , caring people

Cons

Lost position after unit downsized.

Value employees that stick in though all of the changes

I feel as though working with Aetna has been positive overall experience thus far.

Current Employee - Senior Quality Auditor  in  Gastonia, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Auditor in Gastonia, NC (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company cares about our overall well being. Whether it is physical or emotional, Aetna cares about its employees.

Cons

Transisitioning over to Aetna's business practices and ensuring the migrating of both proctices are best for both members and business plans.

Listen more to your employees and how they feel the current processes affect both customer and business changes.

Repeatedly bullying/threatening by manager - because of telecommuting HR response is "she said/you say"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

interesting work, larger positive enterprise direction and positive contributions in changing healthcare environment

Cons

health benefits have large out of pocket expenses, Aetna student health management is a robust entrenched high-school styled clique who protect each other even when appallingly unprofessional behavior is perpetuated by its clique. Telework status and attempting to deal with these multi-year, multiple team members subjected to bullying, threatening and verbal abuse are met with no success with HR who chalks it up to "no one overheard so who are we to believe" and ends up siding with the manager regardless of a lengthy documented history of verbal abuse of staff assigned to them.....flat out disgusting behavior in the 21st century......time for Aetna to wake-up to its middle management problems.....starting with student health division....do not accept a position working there for Susan Pearson - it is the reason i left a couple of years ago...

address bullying and establish better HR management of reported verbal assaults/threats/bullying for telework employees because currently it is simply dismissed as "unable to prove" and employee is put right back into powerless position to allow bullying/threatening to reoccur along with retaliation on a daily basis.

Great place to work

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Excellent wellness benefits

Cons

Medical benefits should be better and not so expensive

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!